Sign in to follow this  
DMU222

Apex Legends

Got my first win last night. Really enjoying Pathfinder as his ability to get your team mates around quickly is super helpful!

7 hours ago, DMU222 said:

why do you not like the game? What makes it so bad to play?

The mini-map doesn't change it's orientation when traversing the map. As the player is dead centre to the mini-map, whenever something happens above centre, I react accordingly which normally results in turning my back to another player, and someone shooting me in the back. I would prefer the mini-map simply wasn't there at all, BUT, if it must be there, then why do I (as a paying customer) not have the option of altering the way the mini-map is presented?

The items require hitting additional keys on the keyboard to pick up items - why? Surely, it should auto-collect items for the character I choose, or, simply just collect ammo if it is relevant. Should it not just auto-collect items that are superior to the ones I have that are identical, other than being more powerful/better? Just 'too-many-clicks' to perform the operation of picking up resources. This is not an adventure game, roaming across the environment and RPG'ing stuff á la Witcher or Zelda, it's an FPS.

Too many mini-games. No need to explain that. Just too much time in menus and sub-menus. Waste of time.

Weapons are weak. TTK is all over the shop, making kills meaningless. Bullet spread is sub-par for the environment, as if the level designer and the game designer were in different buildings. The 'feedback' from weapons are also weak, like I'm firing a mattel 'ray-gun' for kidz, not a spleen displacement device, capable of dispensing bullets like quart-sized coke cans. The recoil is stoopid, and uncontrollable (at least, my brain tries to pulldown when firing but, to no avail)

The level design is also weak - feels like a reskin of something that was meant for Titanfall 3, but EA changes their mind and ordered respawn to change it to something with more lootbox appeal. Case in point: not all of the level can be used, as you are ordered off certain areas by the game with a cooldown.

It's not fun to play.

¬

All-in, this game commits soooo many video game sins, it is truly astonishing to me, to witness something so utterly flawed.

Glad QC, Hitman2 and RDR2 exist.

Edited by Mitch Mitchell
potification

@Mitch Mitchell Oh come on, man.. The first issue with the minimap, that I understand. The rest is just nitpicking. Auto collect would not work for instance when it comes to attachments as you might prefer to use a low tier scope; you also don't require every type or all of the ammo or consumable as inventory space is limited. TTK is arguable, as the last tier armours are pretty bulky, but don't have much of an issue with that. I get that you like your fps to be as simple and pure as it was back in the day, but those management elements are not bad. Yeah, it's not an arena shooter, but the fights can get pretty intense. I think that's what I like most about it. You have these periods of quiet followed by intense action moments.

Btw, Vince Zampella, CEO of Respawn, has mentioned in some article that EA was not involved whatsoever with their decision to develop Apex and release it the way that they did. And he has also confirmed that there will be more of Titanfall later this year, though not sure if we're seeing the third entry. I think this was a good move for their long term success. If they manage to retain at least a quarter of those player for the long haul, it would probably boost their sales for their future ips significantly. That's something they could do with after their previous two releases.

Edited by Radu

I actually think the inventory is great in this game. I can easily pickup and replace attachments rather than jumping into the inventory and manually dragging them onto my guns. I can also easily tell what ammo types I need and just keep an eye out for those. If I try to pick up an inferior attachment the game doesn't let me unless I hold the button. It's pretty intuitive I feel. Most of the time I'm playing is in combat or scanning for enemies. I don't look at the floor nearly as much as I do in other games like PUBG.

The point of the inventory management part of a battle royale still existing is that it provides moments of risk reward, as you are forced to stop and deal with a separate challenge in what could be a dangerous situation.

33 minutes ago, Vilham said:

The point of the inventory management part of a battle royale still existing is that it provides moments of risk reward, as you are forced to stop and deal with a separate challenge in what could be a dangerous situation.

Which is unnecessary.

Adding to my points earlier - why does the game not remember what my graphics settings are? What year is this?

-ninja edit:

Also, if I am alt-tabbing whilst waiting for one of the many many many 'hundreds' of sub menus to stop playing a mini-game with me, and I shut down an application that has a cache to it, my CCleaner app will try and clear any internet caching, which it is meant to do - this results in the game crashing out, and claiming I am hacking the game in some way as a 'cheat violation'.

Great...nicely done respawn/EA, can I use MY computer they way I want to use MY computer...hmm...well...can I...please?

Pathetic.

Edited by Mitch Mitchell

Unnecessary in your completely subjective opinion, that probably isn't agreed by a sizable chunk of the 25 million player base it has.

What sub menus are you talking about?

Edited by Vilham

4 hours ago, Vilham said:

Nevermind the fact that you might be clogging up your inventory unvoluntarily constantly. 

Anyway, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just wish you would be a bit more polite about it, Mitch? Calling it "pathetic" and all that. Obviously there are a lot of people enjoying the game. This arrogant attitude makes you look like a bit of a dick TBH.

I do agree that the game (genre I guess*) is flawed, but some complaints there are pretty much fictitious, I mean why are you even alt-tabbing man? You sound like in deep ADHD, no offence intended. There’s no progress bar at the end of a game, unlocks *afaik* are completely cosmetics, you can just hit “play” again without any sub-menu navigation. Doesn’t take long to get into a new game, way less than CSGO competitive.

That being said, I can’t say I’m loving the game, I’m playing it because I have a colleague to play with and want to understand a bit more the mechanics, given I have missed on all others BR games except CSGO.

First thing for me is the art, I wish it was more stylised and look more like the cinematic trailer and the menu/load screen, cel shading would really suit this.

I keep getting fictional errors at start (“can’t connect check your internet/there’s an origin update”).

I don’t like that there’s no screen showing global stats per-player, I’d like to see how I’ve done across all characters before digging into which one I’m doing better. This doesn’t make me feel achieved.

Ive done the training and still feel like I dunno how to play the game, there’s no explanation and experimentation about the attachments for example; it’s not very clear which ammo I should pick up (except for shotgun) as the guns look pretty much alike. They only teach you the special skills of the medic, I’d like to practice them before being in a real match. I haven’t used any special skill yet cos I don’t understand what my character can do and how can be useful. No wonder a site would come up with articles like this: https://www.gamespot.com/gallery/everything-that-apex-legends-doesnt-tell-you-tips-/2900-2553/ it just confirms to me they don’t teach very well how to play.

I understand they need this giant treadmill for monetisation, but unlocking shit for the single heroes instead of allowing to kit the one you prefer is annoying.

The whole map system is implemented way worse than CSGO’s tablet, the way the enclosing circle is displayed could be better.

I feel there are way too many buttons, to play a game that appears very simple. I do appreciate the way you can swap items tho. Also I like the middle-mouse button commands, but the targets seem to small, I’ve found hard to even agree with teammates, never mind pinging an enemy.

Matchmaking seems completely broken/non-existing, how the fuck you get matched to people with 100+ kills when you have 3? Also the “champion” selection at the beginning seem ridiculous or is just poorly communicated: I’ve seen champions with 3 kills and in their teams there were players with 50+ kills. I don’t understand, am I playing against a noob like me or is a pro just trying a new hero?

I dunno, I guess it’s not much the game for me, makes me feel useless just like Team Fortress 2, makes me feel I dislike class based games (although Day Of Defeat has always been my fav game). I would prefer everyone had the same player archetype, and then have some sort of evolution tree to pick from to “create your own class” as you play.

Ive read today that the success of Apex is having people return or try Titanfall 2 multiplayer, and that for me sounds like the best news of this whole fad, as T2 is in my list of games to play next, hopefully is discounted enough that I’ll buy it soon now that I have Origin.

Edited by blackdog