Sign in to follow this  
DMU222

Apex Legends

Totally out of the blue release (Zampella teased something at the Game Awards but who knew). I only saw some ravenous tweets about the announcement and today of the game itself, I'm down to try it, hopefully runs well on my machine (haven't played Titanfall 1/2). I'm not super excited at the idea of the heroes despite that's the differentiator, I was always interested in Titanfall because of the free-running movement… I like more the idea of a level playing field.

In case you wonder where to get it: playapex.com

I'll repost the trailers since the embed didn't work on topic start - the second really explains all you need to know; the stream is a farse, starts like 4hrs in and they only show the trailers and a featurette with dev comments about the game.

Edited by blackdog

I am not a big fan of battle royale games but yesterday I played some matches in PS4 with two friends and it does not look that bad for some casual gameplay.

I will continue playing KHIII and RE2 remake though. 😁

After playing it for a few hours it seems to me like Blackout infused with elements from Overwatch plus some nice QOL improvements (ping system, drop leader, visual cues on the UI when your teammates fire etc.). Like with any other new battle royale game it takes some time to try out all the different weapons, items and additionally unique abilities in this case. One thing that had me going back to PUBG after Blackout was the tactical realism and slower paced gameplay. I suspect it will be similar here but I need to play it some more. Definitely worth trying if you like Battle Royale (hey it's free).

Origin is a pile of crap.

When Apex finished downloading an error was returned. Installation failed and I had to restart the whole computer to make it try install again. “Obviously” it started again from 0% 😐. Also until I restarted the whole machine, it wouldn’t show me the friend invite from my colleague nor the games I added via redeem while the game was installing.

Let’s see if overnight it had more problems installing…

Edited by blackdog

Honestly not had too many problems with Origin. The odd download has taken a long time to install but the download speeds are always fast.

Been playing Apex a bit and it's quite enjoyable. Movement, gunplay and teamwork features are all great - Just need some better team mates :D

I don't think the game will destroy Fortnite or anything but it'll probably get a decent following once the hype has died down and the player numbers settle. I doubt I'll play it as long as I played PUBG for as I'm pretty burnt out on the whole battle royale game mode fad. But I hope it does well - Kinda makes me wanna pick up Titanfall 2.

Pathfinder main here, i love how NOBODY uses him, i consistently have him all to myself!

I suspect this is because the grapple hook & zipline have a learning curve to them, combined with the fact that on the surface they don't seem that valuable. On top of that most people i matchmake with are surprised when they find out what his passive ability can do, most people don't even know how to use it.

In summary Pathfinder not only lives up to his name as the best at guiding his team through the map with intel and macro re-positioning, but also as an individual unit his grappling hook gives him unparalleled re-positioning utility and speed which is extremely useful for running to respawn beacons,  getting high ground instantly during a fight to escape or 1-up the enemy, and also general reconnaissance. His ult has the fastest charge out of all the legends, use it to bring your teammates on top of towering buildings with you, or to set up a quick escape if you get surrounded.

I'm still yet to get a win but my friends and I have gotten many top 2s and 3s. Unfortunately we keep dying to some team that has 100 kills each. I miss the speed of Titanfall, but hopefully this game will get more people into Tf2.

So far the game seems to be good competition for Fortnite and PUBG, and is a lot of fun overall. I feel like this game has great potential for becoming an esport too. One problem that the game can run into with becoming an esport is its substantial lack of a high skill ceiling. The developers have removed much of the advanced mobility to lower it, leaving Pathfinder as the only Legend with a real learning curve. I guess the skill can come out in how teams play with each other, but we will have to see.

Overall, good game, but I am still hoping for Titanfall 3.

Apparently the game it’s too successful or they effed up something, and it’s down on ALL platforms.

Say what you want but I find ridiculous that you can’t even get in the main menu because servers are down or something, you can’t even do the training and play with settings?

Now that I’m finally in the main menu, I can’t even fix the settings, that for some reason have all changed.

game keeps saying matchmaking… starting… matchmaking…

Edited by blackdog