Sign in to follow this  
Castle

Revulsion

https://store.steampowered.com/app/719180/Revulsion/
https://twitter.com/zZCastleZz/status/1088981339905363969
https://steamcommunity.com/app/719180

Alright guys! So here it is, I have got my indie FPS looter shooter to beta 1.0 with the goal of getting the game out of early access as soon as late next month! This is a indie game created by 1 person
The game includes nearly 20 hand crafted levels as well as procedural generated levels as well! It took about a year and changes to produce this game. It has hundreds of unique items and weapon as well as a level cap of 100! Its not a small game at all! 

I need to seriously get word out as much as possible about this. If anyone here would like a free copy of the game feel free to PM me. Any advice on promotion is very welcome.

Revulsion is officially gameplay complete right now!

What this means is that all major gameplay aspects are now solidified. You can now play the game from start to finish and enjoy the entire experience as intended. The only things that are left to fix and tweak are polish to visuals and UI.
I want people who play the beta right now to treat the game as a complete product and provide feedback based on that assumption moving forward.

I intend to take the game out of early access as soon as late next month.

I want to sit on the beta and make small tweaks and changes before I finally take the game out of early access. This means bug fixing and any little aspects that I can think of to improve the game.

I am considering the idea of raising the price of the game to $19.99 after it leaves early access.

This is not set in stone. But when I compare Revulsion to other games within the same genre within the indie space its hard to not see that Revulsion has just as much content as those games yet its selling for much less.

If you buy the game now you effectively buy it at a 5 dollar discount.

I will make sure to give at least a month warning before this happens. I will be gauging reactions in the community about this. Like I said its not set in stone. In my humble opinion Revulsion is a $19.99 game at this point in time.

Changes and updates in Beta 1.0

2 new missions have been added to the game

• Ogrimgore's Lair Hard (lvl 50)
  • Ogrimgore's Lair Revulsion (lvl 100)

These missions contain 4 hand crafted levels. These levels range in size dramatically and contain easily the most challenging content the game has to offer so far. The final boss battle with Ogrimgore is now fully playable again!

Infinite Dungeon system

The infinite dungeon system allows you to play the game continuously within random generated levels. Every 10 floors you will have a chance to gain access to a special vending machine that has a high chance to sell extremely rare and unique weapons and items that are normally very hard to obtain. You can get items you are not supposed to have until way later in the game through this vending machine. Make sure to load up on credits before you complete the 10nth floor!

Boosters and Special abilities costs have all been greatly reduced.

Some special abilities are now basically free and can be spammed on cooldown at very little cost. This adjustment has been made to help reduce the overall difficulty of normal mode as the game is still brutally hard right now. I plan to make adjustments to the games difficulty in the next couple of weeks.

Revulsion is designed from the ground up to be brutal. Its not meant to be an easy game in any way shape or form. I plan to monitor peoples reactions to the game.

Expect more news and updates soon as I will be making videos and promoting the game a lot more in the coming days.

Edited by Castle

Ok so the game has been out for a bit and I am now at a phase where I want to possibly begin doing a Free DLC content patch. If anyone here can provide some pointers on how I can get more eyes on this game I will be able to actually produce this content patch. Here is a link to the full update on the steam page itself.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/719180/announcements/detail/1801908840895158407

One of my goals will be to try and get this game on to the epic games launcher. I think that would be all the fuel I would need to make this game go full out.

=======================================

https://youtu.be/PS8_ndI8TpE

I am going to have to make a video and talk about this more in depth soon. But below is a list of potential things I may be working on provided I can maintain momentum as far as sales continues. None of the stuff in the below list is set in stone. And the only way I will be able to further work on these things is if the game continues to sell well enough to fund the project further.

If sales decline too much I will only be able to maintain the current game and resolve bugs or smaller functionality while I figure out what I can do next. I would really like to continue working on Revulsion for a bit longer and eventually create a sequel. But this is highly dependent on how things play out.

I am going to be trying to get more people to check the game out. Streamers and youtubers. If you enjoy the game and would like to see the following things added in a free DLC patch for Revulsion then getting the game out to more people would greatly help! Any suggestions to help promote Revulsion would be great.

The bar for success is very low. even just being able to sell a 10 copies a week would be enough. So any little bit does help!

======================================
- Character attribute system
Character attribute system that allows you to spend points to upgrade base stats however you want. Increasing max health, movement, damage and accuracy and many other things as you see fit.

- A new character class, Depraved
Depraved starts off with lowest base stats but has the most attribute points.
Item quality is now durability on all gear and weapons.
Death degrades gear.
A new mechanic that allows you to replenish durability.
starting weapon is old rusty pistol. (The worst weapon in the game)

- New open world levels
The open world levels will not be new missions but rather slightly larger interconnected levels that flow almost exactly like a Dark Souls style game. You will have a semi linear path but it will allow you to explore and branch out as you get to higher levels. These levels will become the backbone of the game where you will search them to unlock missions and challenges. 

Ancient Abyss (lv.1-10 Neutral)
Ground Zero (lv.10-20 Neutral)
Haunted Fortress (lv.20-30 Neutral)
Hell's Watch (lv.30-40 Fire)
Lost Base (lv.40-50 Ice)
Dark Caverns (lv.50-60 Poison)
Cavernous Depths (lv.60-70 Neutral)
Artifact Containment (lv.70-80 Lightning)
Deaths Reach (lv.80-90 Lightning)
The Mirror's Gaze (lv.90-110 Fire)

Monsters that spawn within these levels will likely be resistant to the element that the level has. Going into Hell's Watch with all fire damage based weapons would be a huge mistake.
Each level has areas designated for specific level ranges. 1-100
Explore semi open ended levels to unlock missions, challenges.
Mission rewords include Key cards and artifacts which allow you to open doors you were unable to open before in the open world. Some Doors wont open unless you do X floors on the infinite dungeon as well, Some doors require power node battles.

- Additional random gen content 
More random gen Dark base tiles. (More verity in the current random gen content.)
One new Random gen tile set. (Deaths Reach theme, Hell Tower infinite dungeon.)

- New weapon, armor and special types
To be determined.

- At least one new boss battle.
To be Determined.

I will likely update this list as I move forward. Any and all feedback is welcome!

Congrats for making it this far! No matter how well the game is gonna do - this is an accomplishment to be proud of by itself! 🙌

But obviously you gotta eat...

The bar for success is very low. even just being able to sell a 10 copies a week would be enough. So any little bit does help!

Are you doing this full time or on the side?

TBH I fully understand why you went with the voxel look when creating all of this by yourself, but I am assuming it isn't doing you any favours in this type of genre/setting/for this type of audience. Or what has the feedback been thus far? 

You're probably better off asking on twitter or an indie gamedev focused forum like TIGsource for advice (or watch recent(!) GDC talks on indie game marketing). I can imagine it is pretty hard though because everything is changing so fast...Last resort option: try to get a digital publisher to lend a hand with the marketing and focus on development? 

2 hours ago, FrieChamp said:

Are you doing this full time or on the side?

When I made the choice to go indie I knew that money was probably not going to be plentiful. I rode the 2017 bitcoin bubble and got a bit cocky during that lol. So I also made sure I am in a situation where I have absolute bare minimum expenses. Its also nice my Wifes Twitch streaming career is actively growing (Sadly hardcore Souls like game play is not her cup of tea). When I weighed all of the options and thought about the fact I have already been in the game industry for 20 years and I knew for a fact the prototype I had was workable I said yolo.

So its full time. But if things don't pick up eventually then ill have to change my plans.

2 hours ago, FrieChamp said:

TBH I fully understand why you went with the voxel look when creating all of this by yourself, but I am assuming it isn't doing you any favours in this type of genre/setting/for this type of audience. Or what has the feedback been thus far? 

Vile hatred hahaha
The art style plus there is zombies always gets mentioned at least 3 times. Bottom line is that if you actually play the game the art style is just a means to an end. Doom and Dark Souls also have zombies. I often feel like people just get extra salty at solo game devs maybe? I am the kind of person where normally I wouldn't play Minecraft either but if someone made it play like Doom-Souls-Borderlands you can bet your ass I would be at least checking it out.

I have already begun practicing on a new art pipeline that wont invoke the minecraft reaction for future projects. But ultimately its kinda dumb if you look at Strafe or Dusk which are the primary competition in this space and they don't seem to get a similar reaction. And I only need to sell basically 1/10 the number of copies as either of those games to be doing pretty damn well. I learned so much during this project that a Revulsion 2 will be handled infinitely better and in a shorter time span as well. Multiplayer as well!

All I need is a bit of sustainability and Ill be going ham! This is just the start!

Edited by Castle

2 hours ago, Castle said:

I have already begun practicing on a new art pipeline that wont invoke the minecraft reaction for future projects. But ultimately its kinda dumb if you look at Strafe or Dusk which are the primary competition in this space and they don't seem to get a similar reaction. And I only need to sell basically 1/10 the number of copies as either of those games to be doing pretty damn well. I learned so much during this project that a Revulsion 2 will be handled infinitely better and in a shorter time span as well. Multiplayer as well!

All I need is a bit of sustainability and Ill be going ham! This is just the start!

I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that Strafe and Dusk might get away with the way they look because their low poly art style is reminiscent of the games they are inspired by (old school Doom etc.) and Revulsion looks more like Minecraft and the many games it inspired. But Revulsion doesn't play anything like that :) 

It seems to me that it is getting more and more feast-or-famine on Steam, but I do hope that you will reach 1/10th of what those titles are making :) Plus, you really seem to have scaled back on your living expenses.

I love this talk by the designer behind Slime Rancher by the way. Might give you some more ideas how to incentivize players to stream and create videos of your game (or how to build hooks into your next game from the start):

A lot of really good stuff in that video!

Which reminds me actually. Anyone here want some free keys for the game? :D

I think in this case Revulsion is more or less a passion project that walks headlong into a lot of "this is stuff you are not supposed to do"
But the core gameploop was figured out way early in the prototype more than a year ago. I came into this with a bit of history wondering what it would be like to combine Doom/Quake with Destiny/Warframe with elements of Dark Souls. Its a weird combination of all of those games at this point. Multiplayer would definitely be important for a sequel as at that point it will just be straight up an indie version of Destiny/Warframe. It would also be the first game of its kind utilize a blockchain for micro transactions and account information.

But the next content patch I want to experiment with going much further in the Souls Like direction with a series of semi open ended levels that are interconnected. From there you unlock the missions and do those separately. Depending on how people react to this can have a big effect on how I move forward with Revulsion 2.

15 hours ago, Castle said:

But the next content patch I want to experiment with going much further in the Souls Like direction with a series of semi open ended levels that are interconnected.

I haven't played Revulsion yet but it's my strong belief that no matter the genre: the more Dark Souls-inspired interconnected areas a game has the better it becomes. Especially if it's Tetris.

15 hours ago, Castle said:

Anyone here want some free keys for the game? :D

I'd like to try it out if you can spare a key. :)
I've been meaning to give it a try but just haven't had any monies as of late. Just saw that there are also two recent negative reviews that are both from players with around 40 hours played which just made me more curious to play the game. ;) 

Yeah the people who gave positive reviews played 1/4rth as long as the people who gave negative reviews lol!!

That is super duper weird right? ill PM ya a key.

Revulsion Friday Patch notes 3/15/2019

This weeks patch has a bunch of bug fixes and one fairly large game play change. In one of the reviews recently I noticed a bit of feedback regarding how managing your gear "just boils down to simply leveling it up" which entails a kind of mindless upgrading. This one feature has probably made it a bit too easy to just maintain a base set of gear without having to really plan ahead or even pay attention to most loot obtained in general.

By removing this one feature from the fabricator I feel that it forces you to have to both plan ahead and depend much more on the loot you are obtaining in general. This is a more ideal mindset I think and adds a bit more meaning to loot obtained in the game.

• The ability to upgrade the level of an item has been removed. (Big gameplay change!)
  • Addressed a clipping issue on the second starting level of mission 2.
  • Removed 4 annoying little lava pits that keeps eating peoples death loot.
  • Tooltip for "Disable movement effects" has been properly updated.
  • More stuck spot floors have been corrected.
  • New Game plus should not display a strange number of lives at the start.
  • New Game plus now properly displays the level cap on character selection.
  • New Game plus no longer breaks the infinite dungeon.
  • The floor of the infinite dungeon is now the level all things will spawn.
  • Advancement text will no longer spam if you do not collect them right away.
  • Fixed a typo in the bulwark shield blueprint.
  • Can no longer get advancements by clicking on items you are unable to equip.
  • The game no longer considers a loot chest looted until you remove at least one item.
  • Superbuff now properly displays Big Health Buff, Big Armor Buff, Big Attack Buff.
  • Sanctuary vending machine should not have legendary blueprints list. (Take 3)
  • The tool tips now include a DPS (Damage per second indicator)
  • Graphical quality has been greatly improved for various textures.
  • Mission complete rewards are automatically obtained now.
  • Automap is now stationary if you double click the map button.

Ill try to get a video up this weekend to talk about more stuff as well. The number of remaining bugs I have on my list is rather small and this means it may be time to start talking about the first content patch I have planned.

I have been playing the game for a bit now and I enjoy it! I'm currently a Level 8 Soldier and at 30 or so deaths. :P

If you're still taking feedback on stuff here are some of my thoughts, bugs and things I've noticed:

- The weapons all show current ammo / ammo clip total. Not what your overall total ammo is. So it becomes a bit of a surprise to me whenever I have no more ammo left. 

- Zooming in with a weapon moves the camera into position right away which is a bit jarring for me. I think that the camera needs to be actually moving over there in a quarter of a second or something instead of teleporting there to smooth the transition.

- Some of the weapons feel like they're floating in front of you because you can see the trigger and nothing pressing it down. It looks fine for most weapons like the sniper and shotguns but with the Blaster it looks a bit obvious that it is just floating in front of you. 

Spoiler

Revulsion1.jpg.2dfced7e0140b838c3572dd9b3371a09.jpg

- The flashlight light is a bit far away from the player and not centered. This becomes most apparent when activating it right in front of a wall.

Spoiler

Revulsion2.jpg.4ec708084c99094afb8a82758d0bf19d.jpg

- The corpses on ground needs to have their necks and feet constraints locked to an angle in their psychicsbody so that their feet and heads don't dangle by themselves when they're on ground. 

- "Levels" is a term that you use for both the character stats and the different stages of areas. I get confused by it now and again. I would change the location "levels" term to something else, like stage or area or something.  

- The landscape looks a bit too smooth and round so it clashes a lot with the blockier parts in my opinion. I think you can get away with the more blocky approach for the outdoor terrain too. 

Spoiler

Revulsion3.jpg.433c95f7b63cbf0e08f12f71acc1a1b1.jpg

- Towards the end of "Behind the Wall 1/3" I feel there's a giant uptick in difficulty. There's this spot (See screenshot) where there's a scripted event with the mini gun guys spawning in front of the exit as well as some demons spawning in the room behind you. You get completely surrounded and quite screwed. After dying a lot I chose to just finish that part by running straight to the exit, somehow not triggering that event.

Spoiler

Revulsion4.jpg.513f2b4aebc7d250ce2a6bcddba746ae.jpg

- I have just finished the "Behind the Wall" stages and now have the choice between Soldier's Overlook and The Dark Base. I am level 8 and underleveled for both. Is the idea to grind more in The Behind the Wall maps? If so I feel there needs to be something new to it, like a new optional secondary objective or something. 

I think the game is pretty solid so far and some of these points are just nitpicks so good job! You've really nailed making the shooting feel great and satisfying. The weapon arsenal feels unique and varied and each weapon I've tried has a become my new favorite. 

Is there a public bug report sheet by the way? 

On 3/18/2019 at 12:18 AM, Dea said:

- Zooming in with a weapon moves the camera into position right away which is a bit jarring for me. I think that the camera needs to be actually moving over there in a quarter of a second or something instead of teleporting there to smooth the transition.

Yeah I noticed some people mention this. I took a good look at how Blizzard does its zooming in with Overwatch and noticed that Widows aim is instant as well but the way the HUD updates it makes it feel more smooth. The slow zooming in aspect is a lot more disorienting when you experience it. Even though it sounds like it would be better.

- The weapons all show current ammo / ammo clip total.

On the bottom right you should see the image of the weapons and what total ammo is available. The HUD definitely could be improved a lot for sure though.

- The flashlight light is a bit far away from the player and not centered. This becomes most apparent when activating it right in front of a wall.

Yep its shoulder mounted hehe! When it was perfectly centered it would often cast an awkward shadow on the guns you are holding. I tried a few different solutions and this seemed to work best.

- "Levels" is a term that you use for both the character stats and the different stages of areas.

hmm good point, I didn't think of that.

- Towards the end of "Behind the Wall 1/3" I feel there's a giant uptick in difficulty.

It continues to uptick like this for awhile. The level 50 cap content goes into over drive. After level 50 you go into the much more difficult stuff involving limited lives. Revulsion has a total level cap of 100 with the option to go fully into new game plus.

Is the idea to grind more in The Behind the Wall maps?

There was a bug in last weeks patch that bumped the levels of all content up by 3 levels. Its fixed as of today though and that could easily be part of the reason you feel like the content requires more grinding. While grinding is necessary to some extent you should not really need to grind that much especially before level 25 cap content.

I think the game is pretty solid so far and some of these points are just nitpicks so good job! You've really nailed making the shooting feel great and satisfying. The weapon arsenal feels unique and varied and each weapon I've tried has a become my new favorite. 

Awesome!

Is there a public bug report sheet by the way? 

No but I do release patches and videos with patch notes pretty regularly. Like today I released a patch for the game that fixes quite a bit.

Link to the store page with the full anouncement.
https://steamcommunity.com/games/719180/announcements/detail/1808665064452784500

So the following patch notes are the final medium bugs that I have had on my bug list. I am basically done with all of the major bugs with the game at this point in time!

• Corrected a minor level range issue with each mission.
  • Greatly reduced obstructive muzzle flash smoke from most weapon fire effects.
  • Fixed an enemy pathing issue on the second level of War Path.
  • Crouching inside of dead enemies should no longer get you stuck in crouch mode.
  • The cost of crafting ammo boxes has been increased.
  • Adjusted the values of crafting various blueprint items.
  • General pass to remove many locations in power node battles where enemies cannot reach the player.
  • Text is now properly display to show what items you gained from mission rewards.
  • Bulwark Shield no longer spawns in the ground or inside of objects.
  • The tool tip system now properly compares specials and boosters.
  • Provided more room for the description text on all tool tips.
  • Repairing damaged armor advancements now work correctly.
  • Repairing worn armor advancements now work correctly.
  • Enhancing armor advancements now work correctly.

So what does this mean?

So in this marks a moment where I have to start thinking about what to do next.

• Do I begin working on a content patch for Revulsion? 
  • Should I begin working on Revulsion 2?
  • Should I consider going a different direction?
  • Maybe begin looking for a normal game industry job again?

The above video goes into a lot more detail about this entirely.

Edited by Castle

Revulsion will likely be the first time a first person shooter utilizes cryptocurrency smart contract functionality.

Content patch plans,

• New character class/game mode Deprived
  • Stat attribute system
  • New maps ranging between levels 25-50
  • Basic support for cryptocurrency

Crypto support and a content patch are planned. Why Crypto? Its part of my promotional plan to get more attention on the game while also getting my feet wet in a niche that I want to explore for future projects.

Your support will help me greatly in continuing this kind of content! If you want to see gaming in the cryptocurrency space grow then support me as this is exactly what I am working towards right now.

---

So how many of you have been thinking about cryptocurrency and smart contracts and how it effects gaming?

AMA

Edited by Castle

Besides it being a cool new tech and hip thing to work on plus small fish in a small pond and all that - what are Revulsion players going to get out of it?

6 hours ago, FrieChamp said:

Besides it being a cool new tech and hip thing to work on plus small fish in a small pond and all that - what are Revulsion players going to get out of it?

The tokens you earn will be usable in future projects. If this experiment works out then Revulsion 2 will likely be designed from the ground up as a crypto game. Its also possible to sell the tokens to other players since its basically just crypto. (There is a difference between a coin and a token) Also if I end up getting a decent budget for promoting EOS then I may likely consider commissioning to greatly improve aspects of the game like the HUD or a graphical overhaul ect.

Its all up in the air at the moment though.

Progress update - New Open world breakdown.

In this video I do a breakdown of my progress and future plans as far as what kind of level design we will see in the next big content patch. I also talk a bit about progress on the cryptocurrency side of things as well.

Sales for the game have slumped considerably but EOS blockchain support is looking to be positive at the moment which should be great if that goes well. If that happens then I will have a means to really get people to be aware of the game and future projects.

Side Note : If you really enjoy the art of level design you might get a kick out of the design aspect I go into on the next update. A lot of level design stuff going on!