Sign in to follow this  
Radu

Goals for 2019?

1 hour ago, PogoP said:

Happy new year all! I've not been checking Mapcore much recently but thought I'd jump on and see what everyone's up to.. I really hope you all achieve your goals this year.

2018 was a great year for me.. I think. I struggle to see the positives sometimes! Anyway, I got married to my girlfriend of 10 years... We bought our first house, got a bloody DOG (who I love to bits. shes seriously just gorgeous and so friendly to everyone. She melts our hearts all the time!)... Work is really good fun though it can be hard to get motivated when working from home. But what I'm really chuffed with from a game dev standpoint is the fact that I finally started to learn blueprints in UE4, and I'm making my own little retro shooter. Hopefully one day I can release it, but I'm taking it one step at a time. I haven't had this much fun doing games stuff in... well, I can't even remember how long. It feels like a new world of things to explore!

So, in 2019, here's what I want to do:

• Make lots more progress on my game. I'm not sure what's feasible really, but I think I can release a short demo online, towards the end of the year.
  • Make more friends in my local area. We moved somewhere new, and live in more of a suburban neighbourhood in a smallish town, so I need to get out of my comfort zone and meet new people.
  • Keep in touch more with old friends. God, I'm terrible at this. I had a pretty bad experience with some old school friends back at University (I was pretty depressed and didn't want to go home to hang out with them all, so I think they took it as me not liking them? Dunno, it was all a bit unresolved), and it kinda shook me a bit and I find it much easier to retreat into solitude rather than hang out. I need to sort this, and I've already made plans to meet up with Uni mates this year.
  • Look after my mental health a bit more. I think I've suffered with depression for a while. Perhaps not a chemical imbalance (I don't want to try anti-depressants), but I think I would benefit from going to therapy. So that's something I'm going to do this year, see a therapist. Fuck knows what my issues are but maybe they'll come out when I'm there :)
  • Look after my physical health. I gained a bit of weight this year due to various stresses, so I want to work out a little more.
  • Play more piano. I finally got my piano back from home and brought it to my new house.. Need to practice more and get back up to my old standards!
  • Write music. I think I'll write music for the game I'm working on, which is pretty exciting. No idea where to start :)

Anyway, that's it I guess! Hope you're all good guys :)

Great goals :D Glad to see you back!

About a year and a half ago I woke one day and didn't want to get out of bed. I felt/feel "sadness" all the time, but I had never felt that empty and scared before. Something was stirring deep inside me and I was afraid that I would have no control over it. I decided to look for help and found a Jungian psychoanalyst. It was the best decision I made. We dived deep into my unconscious mind and "fixed" a lot of issues that bothered me about myself, and she helped me integrate a new side of my personality that was emerging at the time. So much of our behavior and thoughts are affected by subconscious programming and common archetypes, there's so much power when you understand who you are and become able to reprogram your mind to better suit your goals :)  Definitely give therapy a shot man!

11 hours ago, Minos said:

Great goals :D Glad to see you back!

About a year and a half ago I woke one day and didn't want to get out of bed. I felt/feel "sadness" all the time, but I had never felt that empty and scared before. Something was stirring deep inside me and I was afraid that I would have no control over it. I decided to look for help and found a Jungian psychoanalyst. It was the best decision I made. We dived deep into my unconscious mind and "fixed" a lot of issues that bothered me about myself, and she helped me integrate a new side of my personality that was emerging at the time. So much of our behavior and thoughts are affected by subconscious programming and common archetypes, there's so much power when you understand who you are and become able to reprogram your mind to better suit your goals :)  Definitely give therapy a shot man!

Cheers dude! I appreciate you opening up about it!

I've been chatting to my brother and cousins about therapy, they all go.. They said they got a lot out of it. By the sounds of it, it's worth going, just to sorta help you work through things and organise your thoughts a bit more. I'm going to look into it this week!