Sign in to follow this  
Serialmapper

awp_natural [CS:GO]

Here i present you my small/medium awp map. The actions takes place on a deserted island in the middle of nowhere. The layout is symmetrical. It features custom detail sprites by me聽馃構.

Credis: @Yanzl for pines and ocean water

STEAM WORKSHOP

a picture is a thousand聽words but i guess a video clip is a thousand pictures

Very relaxing! Lovely skybox. Have some feedback:

- The skybox transition can be seen very clearly because of the texture mis-alignement. To fix that, add a sky_camera on the origin, then select it and your water brush, enable texture scale lock and texture lock, copy it and scale by 1/16. Then disable texture scale lock and re-scale your water brush as needed. This should fix any seams.

- I think the danger zone update added functionality to reflect stuff on skybox water right? That would be cool.

- The grass is super aliased, not sure why. I can definitely see this being a big problem in an awp map as it's quite distracting. Make sure mip-maps are built and enable $allowalphatocoverage, if possible. Same thing for trees. Maybe rework your colors/contrast as well.

- Some light pink/orange directionnal fog oriented toward the sun might look cool, not sure if that's already the case.

- Soundscapes could use more work.

- Some shells on the beach and a yacht in the skybox would be tight af.

Edited by Klems

Regarding the聽 water texture from the skybox vs the alignment from the playable map, I observed that in the early stages and聽 I did聽twice the operation described by you , however that聽"mis-alignement"聽 appears after building the cubemaps and it is more visible from a height. To reduce that glitch i would have to enlarge more the map size to extend the water, or not to build cubemas at all. Unfortunately this is one of the limitations of the source engine. With this map i tried to do something relatively similar to what i did in cryengine. For the detail sprites i used large textures. A聽single plant was 512x512 pixels. The whole texture being 2048x2048 pixels, maybe that's why it looks聽super aliased. The danger zone update added from what i had seen only the ability to reflect the sun sprite, other that that in dz_blacksite the 3skybox is foggy, and the water texture is kinda blurry to mask that transition zone.

Edited by Serialmapper

19 hours ago, Serialmapper said:

Regarding the聽 water texture from the skybox vs the alignment from the playable map, I observed that in the early stages and聽 I did聽twice the operation described by you , however that聽"mis-alignement"聽 appears after building the cubemaps and it is more visible from a height. To reduce that glitch i would have to enlarge more the map size to extend the water, or not to build cubemas at all. Unfortunately this is one of the limitations of the source engine. With this map i tried to do something relatively similar to what i did in cryengine. For the detail sprites i used large textures. A聽single plant was 512x512 pixels. The whole texture being 2048x2048 pixels, maybe that's why it looks聽super aliased. The danger zone update added from what i had seen only the ability to reflect the sun sprite, other that that in dz_blacksite the 3skybox is foggy, and the water texture is kinda blurry to mask that transition zone.

Should be possible to fix the cubemap issue though. Have you applied an env_cubemap to both water volumes?

I tried, but no effect. I guess these are the source engine limitations. It's聽not good for a world simulator like UE4 or Cryengine 5, just to name a few. For a non-professional like me, it took聽around 12 hours to make this map from scratch. A similar map in Cryengine 5.5 editor takes around 2 hours and looks photorealistic. In Far Cry 3 editor an island is generated instantly.

The water misalignment is because the scale of the water normal map is controlled by the vmt parameter $flow_normaluvscale. Texture scale in hammer controls the scaling of the flowmap texture, which should actually be something big like 20. To fix the issue you have to create a new vmt for the skybox water and adjust聽$flow_normaluvscale and聽$flow_noise_scale -- divide both by 16.聽聽

Here's how wrong Hammer texture scale looks like -- left is default .25 and you get these weird distortions while right is 10 and聽you get a normal looking water texture.聽

image.png.b189ac85cf4cad4d57ee9166d4f3cef8.png

As you suggested I made a wmt skybox water derived from the original one (water_ocean_blue) adjusting聽$flow_normaluvscale and聽$flow_noise_scale (diving both by 16). Also i remade again the water from the map (scale 160 instead of 4)聽聽and the 3dskybox (scale 10 instead of .25). The problems are not visible anymore from the player's level but visible only from certain angles, if you fly by at聽the map/skybox junction. Weirdly from those angles the texture doesn't seem to be misaligned but somehow the reflection are. However this is already very nit-picky and i think depends on the environment lightning angle and the skybox texture as well.聽

At least now i know what parameters to modify in order to create a proper聽skybox water material.

Thank you!

Edited by Serialmapper

One thing you can also do is to add聽$flow_debug 1 to both water vmts which will allow you to see the flowmap texture. Then try to align that between 3D skybox and level like you'd do with a regular texture. Delete聽$flow_debug 1 once you're done and hopefully it'll be seamless.聽

I checked, no problem detected. The "misalignment" problem it's visible only from certain聽angles. On lower quality textures like the default聽ones it's not visible or barely visible.(maybe that's why cs:go doesn't have higher quality default water textures...聽just saying).聽聽I never encountered such issues with regular (non animated) textures when聽making 3skyboxes.聽 聽Maybe the skycamera is the problem, the code within.

water.JPG.cbc8082356ba643c580684e80808c7bf.JPG

I made a fantasy island in cryengine 5.5 sandbox using free assets form their marketplace. I wish that source engine could look like this and to be so easy to work with.聽

Edited by Serialmapper