T-Rexer

Eternity

Really nice looking! But the red door and stairs in the 8th screenshot look a little weird. Irl the door would propably be mirrored and the railing just at the end makes little sense.

Good job, both of you.

18 hours ago, fewseb said:

If there's two terrorists trying to break in, why would they cut three holes in the fence? 

We did that to show the cave, because Squinky thought it looked nice.

5 hours ago, 'RZL said:

8uZgKCe.jpg

2074404183_Thequalitywaspisspoorwhenscreenshottingthegifso_6bc0ac69f2f82853f71d076486e9aa40.jpg.ec3e4de6b5183cfb61ab87db18441a9d.jpg

I spent like five minutes on this, please clap.

3 hours ago, T-Rexer said:

We did that to show the cave, because Squinky thought it looked nice. 

Yeah but you can see the cave just fine through the fence mesh, plus the one of the very right is too high up for them to climb through, why not just convert that to a regular fence, but then again, if we want to be realistic here, its not exactly like these two guys needed more than one hole in the first place, or more than one pair of clippers. Im not exactly sure why the company would put a path way and lights to a cave path that nobody's so supposed to get in anyway since there's no gate for the fence.

The blue goo looks pretty good btw, nice job on the texture.

2 hours ago, Squinky said:

If the amount of holes in a fence and a door's orientation are the biggest complaints people have, I think we did alright :D

Well I mean there are other little strange oddities throughout the map I could go over, the fence holes just seemed to be the most pressing.

20 hours ago, fewseb said:

Well I mean there are other little strange oddities throughout the map I could go over, the fence holes just seemed to be the most pressing

Please mention them. We want to gather as much feedback as possible before the contest deadline.

4 hours ago, T-Rexer said:

Please mention them. We want to gather as much feedback as possible before the contest deadline.

Alright,

1. SO the blue goo is being pumped from the crater into the station, you can see the pipe spreads out into too pipes which then release the blue goo down in a water wall type way. But the main pump which is the bomb target seems to not be pumping to the goo from the where ever the waterfall goes, but pumping into the pit from the ceiling, im guessing somebody flipped the texture on accident here.

de_eternity0000.jpg.edc3ed9e0b9ff21a5290b94c92a20cd2.jpg

2. This door, while somebody already pointed out the bizarre stairs, you can also see through the world on the bottom, I also kept getting stuck on the little lights and the pallets hanging around in these areas, needs to clipped, like every other area already is.

3. in the pipe hallway near the death pit, you have a Geiger counter sound effect, without an actual Geiger counter there, you can claims its the machine next the railing, put the sound is clearly not coming from that. Also, while most of the time, the death pits will begin damaging you without even touching the goo, there's multiple areas where the goo is used under greats that should be close enough that it would  harm you, if the death pit goo is anything to go by, this goo surely is mysterious.

4. The death pit near ct spawns lags my pc, presumably because of all the mist, not a huge problem but its there.

5. Im not really sure what you were trying to convey with all these random wood panels and sheet metal scraps lying around. This is supposed to be a secret mountain base, but theres holes in the glass and random scraps lying everywhere, was it supposed to have been attacked before? Is the goo breaking things?

6. im having problems in general trying to pin down what you were doing with the base, the ts came up from a cave, that has wood panels for walking and is lit by torches, but they come in through a fence with no entrances for the people who, you know would have to light those torches. They also seemingly came up into a loading dock area, but I struggle to see how a truck would get through that cave.I guess maybe the giant industrial elevators are meant to bring things to the cave? its hard to tell because nothing labeled as to there function, or even what it is.

Its also got the sub-zero problem where none of the areas you actually fight in really look like there doing anything, its a whole lot of metal hallways, not a whole lot of "people work here" vive going on, now obviously its better than subzero, because there are ares you can see where people work. (Although question why two of the leading scientists would choose to have their offices right next to an open vat of toxic materials, but whatever its an evil volcano base)

7. I have no idea where this map is, in relation to the world. All the text is English and the FBI are the cts, but why are the two named scientists German?, Also outside of Hawaii, America doesnt exactly have that many active Volcanoes. ID also argue that if the map is set in America, the Anarchists would be a better choices for T-side, given that the company is selling blue goo as water and also fucking up the environment, they would match better. Also the moon looks weird because the moon sprites have always look weird, you would be better off taking the sprite and putting onto the actual skybox texture it self, as source doesnt display the moon like it does the sun, so the moon looks like its floating 50 feet away from the base itself.

Other than that, pretty good, nice work on custom texture and such, nice sound work, nice idea for a theme, moderately executed, and as I said previously, blue goo texture is pretty good.

Edited by fewseb

1 hour ago, fewseb said:

Alright,

1. SO the blue goo is being pumped from the crater into the station, you can see the pipe spreads out into too pipes which then release the blue goo down in a water wall type way. But the main pump which is the bomb target seems to not be pumping to the goo from the where ever the waterfall goes, but pumping into the pit from the ceiling, im guessing somebody flipped the texture on accident here.

de_eternity0000.jpg.edc3ed9e0b9ff21a5290b94c92a20cd2.jpg

2. This door, while somebody already pointed out the bizarre stairs, you can also see through the world on the bottom, I also kept getting stuck on the little lights and the pallets hanging around in these areas, needs to clipped, like every other area already is.

3. in the pipe hallway near the death pit, you have a Geiger counter sound effect, without an actual Geiger counter there, you can claims its the machine next the railing, put the sound is clearly not coming from that. Also, while most of the time, the death pits will begin damaging you without even touching the goo, there's multiple areas where the goo is used under greats that should be close enough that it would  harm you, if the death pit goo is anything to go by, this goo surely is mysterious.

4. The death pit near ct spawns lags my pc, presumably because of all the mist, not a huge problem but its there. 

5. Im not really sure what you were trying to convey with all these random wood panels and sheet metal scraps lying around. This is supposed to be a secret mountain base, but theres holes in the glass and random scraps lying everywhere, was it supposed to have been attacked before? Is the goo breaking things? 

6. im having problems in general trying to pin down what you were doing with the base, the ts came up from a cave, that has wood panels for walking and is lit by torches, but they come in through a fence with no entrances for the people who, you know would have to light those torches. They also seemingly came up into a loading dock area, but I struggle to see how a truck would get through that cave.I guess maybe the giant industrial elevators are meant to bring things to the cave? its hard to tell because nothing labeled as to there function, or even what it is.

Its also got the sub-zero problem where none of the areas you actually fight in really look like there doing anything, its a whole lot of metal hallways, not a whole lot of "people work here" vive going on, now obviously its better than subzero, because there are ares you can see where people work. (Although question why two of the leading scientists would choose to have their offices right next to an open vat of toxic materials, but whatever its an evil volcano base)

7. I have no idea where this map is, in relation to the world. All the text is English and the FBI are the cts, but why are the two named scientists German?, Also outside of Hawaii, America doesnt exactly have that many active Volcanoes. ID also argue that if the map is set in America, the Anarchists would be a better choices for T-side, given that the company is selling blue goo as water and also fucking up the environment, they would match better. Also the moon looks weird because the moon sprites have always look weird, you would be better off taking the sprite and putting onto the actual skybox texture it self, as source doesnt display the moon like it does the sun, so the moon looks like its floating 50 feet away from the base itself.

Other than that, pretty good, nice work on custom texture and such, nice sound work, nice idea for a theme, moderately executed, and as I said previously, blue goo texture is pretty good. 

Thank you for the feedback, I guess we have to work on the lore a bit more :D. The gameplay problems will be addressed in an update before the deadline. 

1. Water is flowing in the correct direction.

2. Will fix that.

3. Geiger counter sound is a commonly used trope in video games to signal radiation. It's used though the entirety of Half Life 1 (and Black Mesa), the Fallout series and all over bomb crates at A Site Nuke and A Site Train. It's also present in Sub-Zero near the green goo pipes.

4. Will look into that.

5. It's a game. Random wood panels and scraps add detail and character. Sorry if you didn't like them, but they stay.

6. It's possible the terrorists lit the torches on their way up. And maybe things are being brought from the cave to the elevator, not the other way round. Anyway, no solid answers here as it's up to you as the player to imagine what might be going on. It's not really relevant to anything, but the theme of the map is science fantasy fiction, so a mild suspension of disbelief is not too much to ask.

7. As I said, it's science fantasy fiction, a location isn't necessary. It can be wherever you want it to be. Is it going to change anything if I set it in the Himalayas, or an island in the Azores? I don't think so. The named scientists are so named because that is T-Rex's and my IRL names. Sort of a 'credits' if you will.

I think most of these 'issues' are minor nitpickings, and wouldn't actually add anything to the map if they were 'fixed'.

Edited by Squinky

On 12/3/2018 at 6:22 AM, Squinky said:

3. Geiger counter sound is a commonly used trope in video games to signal radiation. It's used though the entirety of Half Life 1 (and Black Mesa), the Fallout series and all over bomb crates at A Site Nuke and A Site Train. It's also present in Sub-Zero near the green goo pipes.

Ah yes, but on hl1 and black mesa the Geiger counter is built into your suit, in A site train there's a Geiger counter prop on the train, and as far as I can tell, there's no Geiger counter sound on nuke.

5. It's a game. Random wood panels and scraps add detail and character. Sorry if you didn't like them, but they stay. 

I didnt say i didn't like them, but its not that hard to just say "blue goo mess things up, fix with wood" and there you go, youve explained the random wood and sheet metal littering the base.

you also didnt address what youre going to d to fix the moon given that it appears to be floating 50 feet away from the base, or how toxic the blue goo substance is if it can flow directly under your feet with an exposed metal grate, but will kill you instantly if you go with in half a mile of the pit.

I think most of these 'issues' are minor nitpickings, and wouldn't actually add anything to the map if they were 'fixed'. 

yes as I clearly explained

On 12/1/2018 at 11:56 AM, fewseb said:

Well I mean there are other little strange oddities throughout the map

Everything I mentioned was a strange little oddity, nothing serious, just little aspects that can snowball into a serious immersion problem, which isnt all that important.

On 11/27/2018 at 4:32 PM, esspho said:

Really nice looking! But the red door and stairs in the 8th screenshot look a little weird. Irl the door would propably be mirrored and the railing just at the end makes little sense.

Good job, both of you.

Agreed, good looking map.

I would add that the whole stairs indicated here are a bit weird, I think the steps are a bit tall? Unless is just perspective.

The other red door under the vent is locked, shouldn’t it be another colour to not distract players?

In general I think the theme is not at its full potential, you have some weird contrast like clean textures and ivy on the wall in the same room (plus ivy hanging in a room with ceiling?)

I think if you take the time to refine these aspects it will look even better. 

Edited by blackdog