FMPONE

Hypothetical-Contest Rules Voting

How come I can submit multiple times?¬†ūü§Ē

Edit
In the interest of promoting further discussion, here are my thoughts on pre-existing maps:

I think they should be allowed, but there should be bonus points and possibly even a separate prize for mappers who provide good public documentary evidence of their progress from start to finish. This would also benefit the community in the form of content, and hopefully help some people with their portfolio skills.

Edited by text_fish

I think it would be best to just start fresh. That way everyone starts out equally. And I'm also for avoiding remakes altogether. The purpose of the contest should be to promote new and original maps. But, I like the idea of being transparent throughout development. It's a good way to see maps taking shape from blockout to final version. Last time everyone was holding out until the very end to avoid other people taking "inspiration". That's also a fair point, but it's less likely that somebody is going to straight out just copy your idea.

Also, we've put fourth the idea of allowing mapcore staff/moderators that are not on the judge panel to participate in the contest. While nobody seemed to mind in the Discord and encouraged the idea, it's good to also talk about that here just so that there are no issues down the line. I know that I'd like to be participating in this one and maybe @'RZL as well.

Regarding the judge panel, a lot of people have been vocal that they would like to see more industry professionals. Something else to discuss.

No half measures this time, please. Let’s keep it simple. VMF’s, even grayboxes should be fresh as of the contest announcement. Everyone can join so long as they’re not a judge. Six months deadline, no delays what so ever.

1 hour ago, grapen said:

No half measures this time, please. Let’s keep it simple. VMF’s, even grayboxes should be fresh as of the contest announcement. Everyone can join so long as they’re not a judge. Six months deadline, no delays what so ever.

Ugh yes - Please no delays/shifting deadlines. They almost killed me twice. Yes, I got a better product in the end, but I felt punished for planning/managing my time accordingly and it was way more stressful. Especially when there is a surprising shift which extends the contest into christmas holiday time.

You guys are bringing great points, I agree that judges should be industry professional, for all the good reasons you guys mentioned!

I would certainly participate as well! Really loved the contest last time and learned so much :) 

This whole question is very important to me, because of that tragic misunderstanding that happened at the very end of the last one. As long as the rules are clear, I'm in! ;) (and for the record I don't mean that they were bad last time at all, just they were like... 99% clear haha)

One thing I would like to be changed this time around, is to strongly encourage people to form teams, and have equally sized teams if possible. I thought it was a bit weird last time to have a competition between people that are by themselves vs teams of 3-4+ persons... For instance, art for a typical map is so much work, that one LD could be matched with 1-2 artists to make a solid team! I may be speaking only for myself here, but when I work on a project like this, I want to focus on level design, not everything.

I do game jams here in Montréal on a regular basis, and most of the time the organizers strongly encourage or even force participants to be in teams with people they don't know. Participants simply specify their discipline, and are matched accordingly. That way they make new contacts, and learn to work with all kinds of people! Game development is a team activity, at the end of the day. I'm not saying we should go that far with this concept, just food for thought...

Oh and... why not do one on a modern engine this time around? ;)

TBH I don't foresee major changes to the judging panel from the last tournament. We may examine who actually put in substantial effort, tho.

More than happy to take suggestions on individual judges if people feel there are individuals getting left out where it doesn't make much sense.

As a person of the minority who has never played CS:GO this is my favorite sentence in this thread: 

1 hour ago, MikeGon said:

Oh and... why not do one on a modern engine this time aroundÔĽŅ?ÔĽŅ ;)ÔĽŅ

I'm not sure what it would do to the amount of entries, since most people seem to focus on CS:GO here but the Door Challenge seemed to have a somewhat big amount of entries. :)

The problem with ‚Äúmodern engines‚ÄĚ is that you are not level designing but creating a game completely. Yes sure, you can create a theme like The Door, but is not something you can find funding because is not to be added to an actual commercial game.

The UT contest did have a lot of participation.

On the topic of having professionals, in a forum where most people are themselves professionals, I quite struggle to see we can’t get some of that talent to judge. Sure people wanting to participate or that are stuff working for studios could drop an email inviting the seniors to judge?

If is CSGO would it make sense and be possible to at least try and invite a couple pro players? Seagares has been collaborating with Faceit and there are people like N0thing that have always tried to help aspiring pro players, with many of these ex champions/stars now focusing on streaming guess they could find the time?

9 hours ago, Radu said:

Also, we've put fourth the idea of allowing mapcore staff/moderators that are not on the judge panel to participate in the contest. While nobody seemed to mind in the Discord and encouraged the idea, it's good to also talk about that here just so that there are no issues down the line. I know that I'd like to be participating in this one and maybe @'RZL as well.

Regarding the judge panel, a lot of people have been vocal that they would like to see more industry professionals. Something else to discuss.

Yeah, I'd like to participate as well, so it would be great if we could find veteran industry professionals who are interested in judging this. I'm sure there is plenty who would be willing to do so.

I'm not sure how the judging has been done in the past, but it would be great if we could get some video for an announcement or to hear the judges thoughts, maybe even a livestream.

On the judging stuff, please don't hesitate to name names if there are people out there you want on the panel. Can't make any promises but we can certainly reach out to people and see if they're available.

3 hours ago, FMPONE said:

On the judging stuff, please don't hesitate to name names if there are people out there you want on the panel. Can't make any promises but we can certainly reach out to people and see if they're available.

How about some of these people? I know Puddy's been on the panel last time too; maybe he wants a break this time? If any of the mentioned people see this and would like to get involved, just post in this thread.

Patrick Murphy @Puddy

Invalid nick @mr.P

Jason Mojica @General Vivi

Marc Bidoul @El Moroes

Valentin Levillain @ElectroSheep

Mateusz Piaskiewicz @seir

Rick Underhill @Rick_D

Oskar Jansson @Oskmos

Beck Shaw @Beck

Will Josephy @Vilham