[HP]

Doom Eternal

This is a really disappointing sequel to 2016. It feels like they added in ALL of the stuff Doom 2016 did away with, for some reason? Because 'sequel'? I really loved Doom 2016 but this one is just a mess, in my opinion.

I do love the combat and glory kill stuff, but the sheer amount of upgrades, weapon mods, buttons to learn (I remap my keys in every game to use arrow keys.. Don't ask), things to juggle.. Plus they show every damn encounter on the map, so all sense of suspense is lost, and you know exactly when an arena battle is coming up. It's really weird. I think games are great when they try to mask the gaminess of what you're playing, but this one feels like a designer just splurged all over it and didn't tidy it up afterwards. Like, the bar in the top right. I think that shows you how many encounters you've done? Jesus, talk about removing any sense of suspense. Am I near the end of the level? Oh I'll just check my magic meter in the top right. Maybe I'm wrong there? Seems weird.

Also, the story, holy shit. Who gives a fuck? It's Doom. I know I'm gonna absolutely kick ass and destory everything I come across, so why are these demon masterminds acting like they've got the one up on me? They should be absolutely shit scared of me, not making speeches like they have the upper hand. Also, the cutscenes suck. Doomguy looks about 3 foot tall, he looks like an action figure lol. Put all the cutscenes completely in first person - put me in the action at all times. 

I think I just beat the 4th level, the snowy one? But I'm putting the game down now, I have no interest in continuing. I played Doom 2016 continuously and beat it in like 2 days. So I'm not just shitting on the series - something just isn't quite right with this sequel.

I think it’s an OK game at best. 5/10.

Level design is quite boring, especially the non-combat traversal. Exploration/secrets are predictable.  Enemies are tankier than what I’d like for them to be. Glory kills and chainsaw kills are tedius while at the same time absolutely necessary due to running out of ammo constantly.

The perhaps biggest design flaw is introducing a boss and then taking you out of the action so the game can explain how to beat it..

I don’t see myself continue playing, not having fun with it.

Edited by grapen

Alright, so now that I've gone through it, beginning to end, I have to say... it was rather tedious at times. I started on Nightmare, went down to Ultra-Violence and halfway through the game picked Hurt Me Plenty because some of the fights started to become a literal nightmare to get through. There were some arenas were I kept on dying and I did appreciate the challenge at first, but it got ridiculous to the point where you had to perfectly position, do the kill combos and use the right weapons in order to survive. It's definitely an interesting take with the expanded glory kills, but the focus of the game has shifted way too much on the resource management and playing it a certain way. And I absolutely hate that you can't just shoot enemies to death - you can, but you can't survive without those resources they drop otherwise. 

I thought the level design was alright for most of the part, but wasn't a fan of the platforming, especially in the later levels. The jumping bits in the alien world were just atrocious - and this really made me appreciate Xen even more. Other than that, environments were super well done with a lot more variety than 2016 and I liked the expanded lore as well. I don't normally read these collected notes in games, but I enjoyed these for a change. I also didn't mind the cutscenes. They were pretty brief and longest were probably in the beginning. The music and overall sound are pretty much flawless.

Overall, it's an alright game, with some definitely awesome moments, but if you're expecting a classic fps experience then you're going to be disappointed. That's why I recommend you play DUSK instead.

Edited by Radu

11 hours ago, Erratic said:

Combat can get a bit sloppy, at least on ultra violence, and yeah the upgrade stuff is over done. What is it, 4 different upgrade tokens, I think I only just now after 6 hours got a handle on what each of them is for. It's also lot of marginal situational upgrade stuff that isn't really exciting, just a small bonus attached to some occasional event. I tend to forget about most of the weapon mods too. Levels are also not quite as labyrinthine as Doom 2016 but I could be misremembering.

It's good fun otherwise. I'm not crazy about some of the environments that don't really feel "DOOM"ish but I get they probably need to go somewhere else with it. Earth is cool at least.

I remember being like that already in 2016, I pretty much used always the same attachments throughout the game, except when you would encounter an enemy that would be more susceptible to a certain attack

Also, I hope to never ever see that glory kill animation for the caco demon EVER again GOD!

10 minutes ago, Radu said:

Also, I hope to never ever see that glory kill animation for the caco demon EVER again GOD!

You know, I was thinking, for how often they have you execute those glory kills in this game, you'd think they make at least a couple diferent animations so it doesn't get repetitive.

I know the animation changes whether you glory kill from the rear, front or side, but it would be nice to have more variety for the front animation, since it's the one you see the most often. 

29 minutes ago, [HP] said:

You know, I was thinking, for how often they have you execute those glory kills in this game, you'd think they make at least a couple diferent animations so it doesn't get repetitive.

I know the animation changes whether you glory kill from the rear, front or side, but it would be nice to have more variety for the front animation, since it's the one you see the most often. 

Yeah, especially those super specific animations should have an alternate version, weird decision there.

C'mon, the game does not suck, lol.

You can be critical of something, yet still enjoy it. It's one hell of a fun game, even with it's problems. imho.

What I don't understand is they stripped all of this excess and unnecessary weight out of doom 2016 then added it all back in for eternal

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, FMPONE said:

Prevailing opinion seems to be that this game sucks, good thing the mainstream press gave it passing reviews

It doesn't suck but it's a big disappointment for me personally.

Yeah, it definitely doesn't suck. Let's say it's a bit of a different take similar to how Doom 3 was.