MikeGon

CS:GO - Bug: All ambient_generics have stopped working!

In short: All ambient_generics in my map have stopped working.

I¬†searched around for many weeks but haven't found a¬†solution yet... so your help would be greatly appreciated¬†ūüėä

It started around the time when I added more soundscapes in the map, with triggers to transition between each of them.

The only instance of the same issue I found was this reddit thread:

This is EXACTLY the issue I have- but there's no confirmed solution and the thread is now archived...

I tried to communicate with the user, but no answers yet.

@TopHATTwaffle, you replied to this thread so¬†maybe you know the answer to this mystery¬†ūüėä

Here's a bunch of info describing what I found so far:

• I tried using the snd_rebuildaudiocache command.¬†Seems to do nothing at all¬†(log throws a No such command!¬†afterwards).
  • Unlike ambient_generics, all soundscapes work fine, and transitions work properly with triggers around the map.
  • I get this¬†assert¬†in the log when the map has finished loading, one for each sound that is broken: CSoundEmitterSystemBase::GetParametersForSound: No such sound (sound name)
  • Ambient sounds actually work when "Play everywhere" is set to true. Then the¬†assert mentioned above does not appear for that sound.
  • I tried setting the "volume" and "start volume" parameters to 10, does nothing.
  • When I copy/paste the ambient sounds as-is in a new map, they work fine.
  • When I launch the map using a¬†small ribbon area that's just around the spawn, ambient sounds still don't work (so it's likely unrelated to the number of instances in the scene, as mentioned on reddit).

I have not yet tried to nuke a bunch of entities though, so this is my next test-  but I would be surprised if the map had hit some kind of entities limit, since I am always very careful about where and how I use them...

I hope we can sort this out, this issue has been there for way too long¬†ūüėě (I definitely should have asked for help sooner than that...)

Cheers! ‚̧ԳŹ

-Mike

@MikeGon, Hi Mike this problem is around 6 month in CS:GO for now. The problem is that any ambient_generic with cues will not work in game! That means that any looped sound will not play. Solution is to delete cues from sound file or use soundscape instead. I've tried to contact Valve through @FMPONE but nothing happend.

Spoiler

Second way is radical, I'm using it for my map as I can't use soundscapes.

1. Delete cues from the sound file and save it somwhere in your folder

2.Create ambient_generic with this sound file and give it a name

3. Create logic_timer (0.05 - 0.1 seconds) and create Output that will keep ambient_generic playing. (Volume 10)     (Not PlaySound)

It will work but not as good as it were

Hope you will find this informarion helpful, cheers!

5 hours ago, Tynnyri said:

Wait... doesn't Logic_auto do the same as logic timer, or is it bugged in CS:GO after map restart?

Logic_auto fires only once map is started it means that sound will stop playing. logic_timer with low delay will keep sound playing in fake loop.

14 hours ago, Harry Poster said:

@MikeGon, Hi Mike this problem is around 6 month in CS:GO for now. The problem is that any ambient_generic with cues will not work in game! That means that any looped sound will not play. Solution is to delete cues from sound file or use soundscape instead. I've tried to contact Valve through @FMPONE¬†but nothing happend.ÔĽŅ

Are you telling me everybody has been having this issue for months? ffs Valve...¬†ūüėĎ

20 hours ago, Harry Poster said:

Second way is radical, I'm using it for my map as I can't use soundscapes.

1. Delete cues from the sound file and save it somwhere in your folder

2.Create ambient_generic with this sound file and give it a name

3. Create logic_timer (0.05 - 0.1 seconds) and create Output that will keep ambient_generic playing. (Volume 10)     (Not PlaySound)

It will work but not as good as it were

So you're saying people¬†need¬†to add a "new" sound file for each looping¬†sounds, package them¬†and needlessly create larger BSPs? ūü§Ē

Radical indeed- but either way, I'll give it a shot!

Trying this when I get back home tonight- Thanks for the help I appreciate it!

So I tried it with one ambient_generic and it works!!

But I'm unsure if I should move forward with this method... 

When that kind of issue happens at work for instance, I urge the programmers to fix their shit, rather than hacking things up and then later on working to undo my hack... that's just a waste of time.

I'm sure Valve¬†will fix this bug ASAP since its critical and affects¬†so¬†many users, right?¬†Oh wait...¬†ūü§®

OR maybe I should just go ahead and do it since the problem¬†could stay there for years¬†ūüėĎ

omg I don't know what to do about this

8 hours ago, MikeGon said:

OMG guys

With the new game + SDK update, ambient sounds started working again!!

THEY FIXED IT!!!!¬†ūüĎŹūüĎŹūüĎŹ

tenor.gif?itemid=8095467

This is cool and unexpected on top of the other cool and unexpected good stuff lately.