The Door Challenge - 2018 - General Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...

I've been trying a bit to build something for a few days but i keep getting vertices off the grid after loading the vmf ...

I have a decent simple gameplay and design idea but I'm just slowed down by this kind of bugs all the time. I'm tired of source ... 

UtHZp5f.png:-

:( 

EDIT : HammerPatch seems to be a great fix for this kind of issue. Thank you klems as usual!
https://github.com/crashfort/HammerPatch
(read the ReadMe.md)

Edited by leplubodeslapin

How's everyone doing?

Make sure you focus on the gameplay first @FMPONE ! Adding fancy graphics won't get you any points :P , I would discourage it unless it's meaningful to the experience or gameplay. 

Seeing all of these other entries... almost makes me want to do a second one :D

1 hour ago, General Vivi said:

How's everyone doing?

Make sure you focus on the gameplay first @FMPONE ! Adding fancy graphics won't get you any points :P , I would discourage it unless it's meaningful to the experience or gameplay. 

Seeing all of these other entries... almost makes me want to do a second one :D

Too late, my entry now has the best graphics of any game shipped this year. Or next year, for that matter.

• 3 weeks later...

Neat submissions!

Tried the standalone ones for now (next time will try mods), had technical problems with 2 of them:

• @General Vivi's entry leaves me stuck in the white floor in the beginning, and it seems I'm unable to do anything... (Also I don't have "touchpad and trigger", but hopefully regular keyboard and mouse are supported too)
  • In @Misieq10's puzzle I can't find the way to move boxes. Unity input remapping dialog suggests mouse buttons, but no luck with them.

2 hours ago, scorched said:

Neat submissions!

Tried the standalone ones for now (next time will try mods), had technical problems with 2 of them:

• @General Vivi's entry leaves me stuck in the white floor in the beginning, and it seems I'm unable to do anything... (Also I don't have "touchpad and trigger", but hopefully regular keyboard and mouse are supported too)
  •  In @Misieq10's puzzle I can't find the way to move boxes. Unity input remapping dialog suggests mouse buttons, but no luck with them.

I'm afraid that @General Vivi's game is VR only, which leaves us all frustrated and angry...

• 3 weeks later...

• MapCore on Discord

• Our picks

• Maginot [Wingman]
      Hello everybody!
      I'm creating a map (based on the Maginot Line) for the Wingman's Contest - provided by Source Engine's Discord.

I started the map 3 weeks ago and I'm on the detailing phase, slowly progreeding area by area, worried with the time left. I decided to follow this strategy: detail 75% of every area and after that (and gaining some time) I'd put some final touches + polishment + optimization.  

I wonder, should I keep doing it in a hurry or is it better to make it with no rush and patience (losing the deadline)? There's still a lot to do and I'd like to hear your opinions...
      • 25 replies