Sign in to follow this  
blackdog

Hitman 2

I see where you coming from @Mitch Mitchell… I would argue that’s what most stealth games do.

Mind you, there are speed runs, something popped recently on my Yt feed for this title already(!), I think IO is very good at providing a range of different options. What you suggest is diluting and padding, I’d counter saying is exploration and tension building. It wouldn’t feel rewarding to line up a shot if you didn’t have to wait a certain time. I remember the satisfaction in Blood Money after finding the attic in the swamp level when you can shoot the groom whilst they say “yes” on the altar 😈

It’s the same principle as horror games, wouldn’t work without spacing and timing certain events. I agree that to the seasoned player, especially developers, the system are quite blatant… but isn’t it true for basically every game? Like when they give you an RPG in a shooter, you know a big fight is coming up.

I haven’t seen or read anything you look for, but you can try and see if Gamasutra has any Post Mortem or search the GDC channel. The closest thing I’ve seen on this is Mar Brown’s analysis of the previous Hitman

On 11/22/2018 at 9:12 PM, blackdog said:

I see where you coming from @Mitch Mitchell… I would argue that’s what most stealth games do.

Mind you, there are speed runs, something popped recently on my Yt feed for this title already(!), I think IO is very good at providing a range of different options. What you suggest is diluting and padding, I’d counter saying is exploration and tension building. It wouldn’t feel rewarding to line up a shot if you didn’t have to wait a certain time. I remember the satisfaction in Blood Money after finding the attic in the swamp level when you can shoot the groom whilst they say “yes” on the altar 😈

It’s the same principle as horror games, wouldn’t work without spacing and timing certain events. I agree that to the seasoned player, especially developers, the system are quite blatant… but isn’t it true for basically every game? Like when they give you an RPG in a shooter, you know a big fight is coming up.

I haven’t seen or read anything you look for, but you can try and see if Gamasutra has any Post Mortem or search the GDC channel. The closest thing I’ve seen on this is Mar Brown’s analysis of the previous Hitman

GDC:

https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1022840/Modular-Sandbox-Design-Tools-and

So, as far as I can tell, they do design levels in two parts geometrically with a main pass and then an interacting layer, like a cooker which can be turned on or off. The NPC's appear to be added as part of the level design with a lot of tweaking. So it is a little bit like designing a level using AI/NPC, so the focus of the game and the value is really on the strength of the level design.

But still - I guess my point is really about what you get for your money. A few levels (as vast as they are) does not justify the amount being asked. The reply value I will agree with completely, the levels do have replay value, just as 2Fort does...but the overall value is not high enough for the $'s.

It needs to come down in (probably) the new year sales, before it will reach max penetration.

3 hours ago, [HP] said:

Nice, bought this a couple weeks ago, still wrapped but I'll hit it once I'm done with Days Gone.

How do you find the time? 😩 I want to play the first new Hitman and haven’t yet even purchased, knowing just how long it takes to play every mission.

(also haven’t even played Absolution)

I think I'll just skip Absolution I think, been too long.

With a baby, it's challenging, but the good thing is that they go to bed earlier so I reserve myself about 45 mins to an hour a day for games, so I usually play something between 9pm to 10pm. Games like hitman are perfect, because you can finish a mission in more or less an hour.

Even after 10pm, I still have 2 or 3 hours left of my day to squeeze from, which you can use for love making, side project work, meditation, or whatever you have planned, because these last couple years I forced myself to be a lot more restrictive with my time, so I soft plan my hours of the day, you'd be surprised how much "fat" you have in your day to day life you can easily trim out.

I started by leaving facebook, I still do Twitter but I only follow 99 art accounts, so when I'm taking a shit or whatever I can just quickly scroll through some inspiring art.
And I just learned to make my calendar my friend, instead of my worst enemy, which is how I treated it my whole life, lol.

You can treat time the same way you count calories, or count your money. If you sit down to check your monthly bills, you realize how much needle shit you're paying for. Same for food, if you sit down and count your calories, you'll be surprised how much needless shit you're eating daily. Time is the same thing, I would even argue it's the most important thing so treat it with the respect it deserves.

(Sorry for the OT ramble)