Sign in to follow this  
blackdog

Hitman 2

I see where you coming from @Mitch Mitchell… I would argue that’s what most stealth games do.

Mind you, there are speed runs, something popped recently on my Yt feed for this title already(!), I think IO is very good at providing a range of different options. What you suggest is diluting and padding, I’d counter saying is exploration and tension building. It wouldn’t feel rewarding to line up a shot if you didn’t have to wait a certain time. I remember the satisfaction in Blood Money after finding the attic in the swamp level when you can shoot the groom whilst they say “yes” on the altar 😈

It’s the same principle as horror games, wouldn’t work without spacing and timing certain events. I agree that to the seasoned player, especially developers, the system are quite blatant… but isn’t it true for basically every game? Like when they give you an RPG in a shooter, you know a big fight is coming up.

I haven’t seen or read anything you look for, but you can try and see if Gamasutra has any Post Mortem or search the GDC channel. The closest thing I’ve seen on this is Mar Brown’s analysis of the previous Hitman

On 11/22/2018 at 9:12 PM, blackdog said:

I see where you coming from @Mitch Mitchell… I would argue that’s what most stealth games do.

Mind you, there are speed runs, something popped recently on my Yt feed for this title already(!), I think IO is very good at providing a range of different options. What you suggest is diluting and padding, I’d counter saying is exploration and tension building. It wouldn’t feel rewarding to line up a shot if you didn’t have to wait a certain time. I remember the satisfaction in Blood Money after finding the attic in the swamp level when you can shoot the groom whilst they say “yes” on the altar 😈

It’s the same principle as horror games, wouldn’t work without spacing and timing certain events. I agree that to the seasoned player, especially developers, the system are quite blatant… but isn’t it true for basically every game? Like when they give you an RPG in a shooter, you know a big fight is coming up.

I haven’t seen or read anything you look for, but you can try and see if Gamasutra has any Post Mortem or search the GDC channel. The closest thing I’ve seen on this is Mar Brown’s analysis of the previous Hitman

GDC:

https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1022840/Modular-Sandbox-Design-Tools-and

So, as far as I can tell, they do design levels in two parts geometrically with a main pass and then an interacting layer, like a cooker which can be turned on or off. The NPC's appear to be added as part of the level design with a lot of tweaking. So it is a little bit like designing a level using AI/NPC, so the focus of the game and the value is really on the strength of the level design.

But still - I guess my point is really about what you get for your money. A few levels (as vast as they are) does not justify the amount being asked. The reply value I will agree with completely, the levels do have replay value, just as 2Fort does...but the overall value is not high enough for the $'s.

It needs to come down in (probably) the new year sales, before it will reach max penetration.

On 11/24/2018 at 11:59 PM, blackdog said:

@Mitch Mitchell well what do you think of Splinter Cell or MGS? Hitman offered replayability from the first release, the others took 2-3 titles before that, then maybe even going back on the their offering…

Never played them, sorry :(