Sign in to follow this  
blackdog

Control (Remedy)

"Revenue at Finnish games studio Remedy was up almost 60 per cent year-on-year in 2019 thanks to new title Control.

That's according to the company's financial report for the year, which saw the firm making €31.6m ($34.14m) for the 12-month period, while operating profit saw a colossal 973 per cent hike to €6.5m ($7.02m)."

https://www.pcgamesinsider.biz/news/70522/remedy-revenue-up-57-in-2019-thanks-to-control/

Looks like Remedy is on a roll with Control and the deal to develop the sp component for CrossfireX

Who would have funk, plain good old games with no gimnicks and bs sell well! :D

This is good news, I read somewhere they've got 3 or 4 titles in development right now, one of them a "live service" shooter. We'll see.

Yeah, also heard about that Destiny-like live service they are doing. Honestly, I think they might be able to do something that stands out. I was pretty impressed with the art direction in Control. It's a shame I wasn't into the level design and gameplay as a whole. Maybe I'll appreciate it 5 years from now. 

Not gonna lie, don't necessarily like that Remedy of all studios are jumping on bandwagons. They always carved their own path, stayed true to core player base, and the one time they tried to deviate a little bit from that (Quantum Break) they lost some of their appeal. 

To be fair, I don't think they have much of a choice if they plan to operate at their current level or keep expanding. In the past they have pretty much put all their eggs in one basket, which was a bit risky. Luckily, it's paid off because of the incredibly great work they've done, but I don't know how the sales numbers look for their games during the first year. Now we're seeing a Remedy that is trying to expand its portfolio and experience in different genres. It's not a bad move, as long as they don't stray too far from what made them special to begin with.

Edited by Radu

I do agree that putting all your eggs in one basket is a risky move, but I really hope we don't see Remedy be forced to make a couple of "cash cow" games, that's a Pandoras box that once opened, it can never be closed.
I'm also more than ok with a Remedy expanding their "portfolio and experience in different genres", as long as it's not growth for the sake of growth. I doubt we'll ever see them going 'evil' though, I do believe they're one of the good ones, completely independent and with a fierce eye for quality.

42 minutes ago, Radu said:

What do you think that shooter will look like?

The collab on Crossfire, from outside, seems a cash cow really. Pay check work.

I'm hoping that with low expectations I’ll be surprised.

You can by Remedy stocks these days. This actually means that they have to stick it to the shareholders for every 3 month period. It also in part means that they havent got the freedom they did before, but also have a solid money flow and less risk involved on what they decide to do. Like chinese film industry, games industry is growing fast there too and Remedy has a foot at the door.

1 hour ago, ics said:

You can by Remedy stocks these days. This actually means that they have to stick it to the shareholders for every 3 month period. It also in part means that they havent got the freedom they did before, but also have a solid money flow and less risk involved on what they decide to do. Like chinese film industry, games industry is growing fast there too and Remedy has a foot at the door.

http://www.nasdaqomxnordic.com/aktier/microsite?Instrument=HEX137987&name=Remedy Entertainment

Wow, you're not kidding, I did not know that Remedy went public? How did this fly under my radar? 

They've been there for over 2 years now. CEO and some other guy sold a lot of stocks before Control sales were announced that was kind of big deal around here. Using sort of private information to make money out of it. Looking back, i guess going as publicly traded company was good for the company. They seem to be doing pretty well.

14 hours ago, ics said:

They've been there for over 2 years now. CEO and some other guy sold a lot of stocks before Control sales were announced that was kind of big deal around here. Using sort of private information to make money out of it. Looking back, i guess going as publicly traded company was good for the company. They seem to be doing pretty well.

Wait a sec, I was under the impression Control did well, is it the contrary?

Because only if sales were bad the shares were best sold before announcing.

On 3/18/2020 at 1:51 PM, blackdog said:

Wait a sec, I was under the impression Control did well, is it the contrary?

Because only if sales were bad the shares were best sold before announcing.

Pre-orders werent that great in numbers, 2 years later its different story.