Sign in to follow this  
blackdog

Control (Remedy)

On 9/3/2019 at 8:11 PM, Minos said:

I played it for a bit and it just didn't click, refunded :( 

Same. I must admit that my patience ain't the best right now though.

I played for an hour. I thought that the presentation, characters and dialogue were a bit, well, crude despite the premise being incredibly intriguing. Less would've been more in this case, they should've let the building tell its own story and gone easier on the exposition and early melodrama. Additionally, the game is way too quick in giving you a gun to blast generic enemies with and introducing very gamey systems ("control" points, weapon mods etc). Instead of fighting creepy otherworldly entities I felt like I was blasting Destiny "mobs".

12 hours ago, Puddy said:

Same. I must admit that my patience ain't the best right now though.

I played for an hour. I thought that the presentation, characters and dialogue were a bit, well, crude despite the premise being incredibly intriguing. Less would've been more in this case, they should've let the building tell its own story and gone easier on the exposition and early melodrama. Additionally, the game is way too quick in giving you a gun to blast generic enemies with and introducing very gamey systems ("control" points, weapon mods etc). Instead of fighting creepy otherworldly entities I felt like I was blasting Destiny "mobs".

Also, I think the lower FOV influenced my harsh judgement. 😄

I feel like some of the criticisms brought up in the last few posts are things that have been pretty much a trademark of Remedy, especially from Alan Wake and the Quantum Break. I’ve said many times: the writing is in many occasions too self-referential to be funny and weighs down the game.

I was concerned about the “games” systems @Puddy mentions…

Anyway will still play it at some point, if anything it’s at least incredibly beautiful and can only serve as inspiration of how trippy you can get.

~

Anyways, artdump!

https://www.artstation.com/teppoylitalo

I have to say, navigating the map is just frustrating for me. It's also a bit annoying when you have a room that keeps spawning enemies as you're trying to search for a particular location. I can see why they added all the fast travel points. They certainly help, but overall it's just not fun for me to walk through this. And it's a shame because the art direction and mood are great. I don't know if I'll finish this. Seems like Jim Sterling is spot on about the navigation.

Edited by Radu

When was the last time Sterling enjoyed a game? Lol

I'm starting to think people that play and review games for a living eventually just see the stuff behind the curtain and are incapable of enjoying anything.

6 minutes ago, [HP] said:

When was the last time Sterling enjoyed a game? Lol

I'm starting to think people that play and review games for a living eventually just see the stuff behind the curtain and are incapable of enjoying anything.

I think he only had compliments for A Plague Tale, but yes, I agree with your overall point. I think you get more knowledgable, you understand better design system and get more critical / less naive. You hardly get impressed and honestly lose complete focus of the target audience. I mean take a step back and think how many of these AAA games are intended for teenagers. Imagine it’s the third game you play or something… you’d be blown away so easily.

I don't know, I really wanted to enjoy the game, but I guess it wasn't for me. I'm going back to my cabin.