Sign in to follow this  
blackdog

Control (Remedy)

Played about an hour or so as well, got to the first boss fight (little bit of a difficulty spike). It's all very intriguing and I'm interested in playing more, and seeing if the Oldest House can sustain a full playthrough without becoming a little one-note (will be interesting to see if/how they mix it up later on).

10 hours ago, [HP] said:

Best physics since HL2

Funny. I was fooling around in that same room yesterday. Not only the levels are just stuffed full of breakable objects the environment too has lots of breakable stuff, you can shoot chunks off almost anything.

It's so goddamn pretty too with them raytraces.

I unlocked all of Jesse's powers, once you have all of the game's toolkit at your disposal, the combat becomes so damn fun!
Juggling your throw power to break shields, then using a gun to hurt the enemy, possess him so he fights for you, proceed to fly around and shoot down the rest of the enemies and finish the last one with a stomp from above is really satisfying.

Now that I'm approaching the mid of the game, the writing gets even weirder, and not always necessarily in a good way. Funny enough, I find the main protagonist Jesse, incredibly stale and boring. The constant stoic stance she externally puts out contrasts with her vulnerable internal monologues and narrations, a lot, which sounds pretty good on paper but it makes her character very hard to follow at times. A lot of things just happen around her, and she accepts it without question or much fuss, for instance being made director of the Bureau in the beginning of the story.
Same can be said about most characters, for such a good story, Control's characters are very one dimensional. It borders on parody of what they're trying to be, but I question if that was written and directed on purpose or not.

Going back to the overall story though, it's really good. It tries to be this blend between twin peaks and x-files.

The level design is really good, just enough direction that you mostly always know where you are, and the feeling of being lost is still there. Loving the metroidvania still design / map, was a really nice surprise that makes the game feel bigger than it is, but it certainly works.

The graphics and physics is is definitely what carries this game for me, and what makes me come back. You can deffo see Tadao Ando's influences everywhere, and this engine lends itself perfectly to that architectural style. Love the brutalistic nature of the architecture, and the big gradients in the lighting.

Some of the environments are so damn good, environments mild spoilers ahead:

Spoiler

CONTROL_WorldTrailer_catalogue.jpg

CONTROL_WorldTrailer_quarry_entrance.jpg

latest?cb=20190123000619

Control_Screenshot_03.png

64690_03_remedy-teases-4k-screenshots-ne

64690_06_remedy-teases-4k-screenshots-ne

ControlPoint.jpg

Boom, beat it! Stellar fucking video game! :D

Control culminates in this moment, gameplay, music, level design, the whole package, really badass:

Spoiler

Spoilers ahead, seriously, you'll want to experience this in your own playthrough, don't be a cunt!

Spoiler