Jump to content
Serialmapper

[WIP] de_aurelia (remake)

Recommended Posts

Well, visually it looks really polished, but I have to agree with @NikiOo It needs some signs of life and space functionality. The overgrown vegetation, while cool, only makes it look even more abandoned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good observation about the environmental storytelling.

If you are happy with the layout and willing to go all out on polish, first idea that comes to mind is to go for a “villa has been recently restored, owners/organisation is organising the inauguration party and Ts want to blow it up”, so it’s a good occasion to have some back rooms half painted, full of tools etc, and open areas very clean, some bunting/flags, a stage and loud speakers… that sort of thing  🤓

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm... you gave me some good ideas guys :D .I was thinking to put a big ivy and scaffoldings at site A instead of that hedge.  Party... i don't really know. I'm more into a palace/villa in restauration setting, to justify those freaking crates. These days i'm am obsessed with making a good ivy in 3dsmax. It's a phase, i know it will pass :P  

Edited by Serialmapper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Serialmapper said:

maybe something like this

*Image goes here, but I deleted it to not stretch out the comment*

Give it some ladders, add some smaller props like buckets, tools, etc. This really goes a long way to making it a believable place. Also why are there scaffoldings there? Is there some reconstruction going on? Make that more visible, for example you can make it look that they're applying/reapplying the purple paint on the bricks right now or something like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My custom ivy. To obtain textures i collected some ivy leafs from my neighborhood and scanned them, being arranged in different random combinations a few times. Then to the HD pictures obtained i made an alpha mask, then i combined them in gimp to obtain a proper texture for the model. By using a scanner i obtained clear images without lightning issues or inequalities.

m3JXPVj.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Serialmapper said:

A0DTbuA.jpg

You have captured the Mediterranean feel with this shot/composition (limestone/grass rolling hills, crisp blue sea, umbrella pine trees, colorful flower beds, warm sunny day...); I feel right at home :)

Great shot and awesome work so far; looking forward to the final form. Keep it up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Serialmapper said:

I replaced the initial water texture with a texture made by @Yanzl, also i replaced those "dust" palms with pines, also made by him, and oleanders.

Looks great, just make sure to turn off self-shadowing and shadow casting off on the foliage, that way they won't cast weird shadows and the colors will be more vibrant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • MapCore on Discord

  • Our picks

    • Post in [decompiled] dz_blacksite
      Alright, I did some testing with the new detail sprites and found out how more specifically how they work. @Mamorex was on the right track but there's a few key things you left out. 

      Removing $alphatest from the material or adding $translucent

      First, the detail sprites material - it's 2 detail sprite sheets side by side, so version A and version B. The different versions have to have same sprite positions and sizes. You only specify version A coordinates in the .vbsp.


      Next up, the detail sprites masks. Red and blue are for wind offset -- so you can have different parts of the sprites sway in the wind differently, you can see Valve isolated some blades of grass for this effect. The green channel is a tint mask and controls how much the sprites are affected by the $worldspacetint. 

      That brings us to the world space textures. They seem to automatically get resized to fit the whole map area, so it you resize the map you'd have to resize the textures too.

      The world space tint texture is pretty self explanatory, controls what color to tint the grass, 127 grey means no tint. 

      The world space masks texture uses the red channel to select which version of the sprites to use -- 0 is version A and anything more is version B. 

      The green channel of the texture controls the sprite size -- 127 is default, with darker making the sprites smaller and brighter making the sprites larger. The vmt command $minimumspritesize controls the cutoff point for the sprites, so the sprites smaller than the specified value don't get rendered which can act as a placement mask. 

      I don't know what the blue channel of this texture does, changing it had no effect on the sprites for me. 

       

      All this means sprites still get placed by vbsp on map compile, so they still use displacement alpha for the placement, but the new masks can manipulate sprites size and color after map compile.


       

       
  • Articles (view all)

×