S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 back in development

2 hours ago, Buddy said:

Lol, they are promoting this like a mod :D

1)Yeah I do get that feeling particularly from this most recent video.  However, I am still hopeful for this without really knowing how development is coming along other than little glimpses from videos like this. It does feel earnest at least. I do agree with a lot of the analysis in this thread, particularly on the discussion of how Unreal 4 could lead them to make a very polished game that lacks the grit. And "epic story" and "biggest open world"...eek...I hope that is really just temp marketing word salad but them just saying that does have me worried. Keep in mind, back in the 00s GSC was telling us basically the same kings thing of things (most realistic game ever, best gameplay ever, best graphics ever, best story ever, most non-linear ever, most open world ever...) and despite not quite living up to their hype the game ultimately was still a gem.

2) After playing rough, early versions of the original game back in 2003 when I was a wee youngling in games marketing I saw the potential in the setting. We all did. Even the younger Q/A testers who previously knew nothing about what had happened before they were even born were blown away about the concept and suddenly became experts in the subject from reading historical books/articles on the topic from whatever sources available back then. We'd overhear them debating the merits of nuclear power to how much Chernobyl accelerated the collapse of the USSR.

3) HBO's mini series Chernobyl made the reactor into a character...almost like a silent demon or interdimensional monster that was just sitting there, slowly threatening death to the planet unless the people solved the problem, in part by paying for all the lies that led to the disaster in the first place. The original game, long before HBO did Chernobyl, had touches of that idea and even though it was not the same it still was a powerful intangible hook 

4) Thus, I will ultimately judge S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 on whether it can deliver on enough of that same hook.

And by my math, this year on April 26, it will be the 35th anniversary of the disaster.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ye olde tymers around here (going back to 2003 era) know the original S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has a special place in my heart despite all the challenges the developers had in getting the first game out the doo

"Gameplay"

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Buddy said:

Lol, they are promoting this like a mod :D

Lol

Everything I’ve seen looks dope, but yes I agree the way they are promoting this it seems like it will take one hundred million years to complete. So closer to a mod timeline than a real commercial product. The tooth modifier is classic mod scope-creep bullshit. But also, everything looks awesome?

From their videos, it seemed like they are remaking some of the previous areas like the Cordon. My bet is that they're gonna take the old game areas and connect them seamlessly, real open world style, with the space in between leaving room for new original content. That would probably save some time on development, without having to imagine everything from scratch, and also be familiar to old time fans.

I think one thing fans want is an endless aspect to the game, where you have the factions battling each other, mutants that respawn and randomly generated quests to take you across the world. I've seen a few mods for the old games that do exactly that. But they really need to capture the feeling of the old Zone and get the systems to work together.

YZPyqws.png

Edited by Radu
24 minutes ago, blackdog said:

Trilogy? Thought there was a main game with one stand alone expansion :ninja:

There was Stalker, Stalker Clear Sky, and Call of Pripyat. I can't remember which, I beat them all at the time, but after I replayed the main game and very much enjoyed it, and after replaying Clear Sky, which I also enjoyed, I tried to go back to Call of Pripyat and didn't enjoy it. This is a bit contrary to what the reviews said, as I think Pripyat reviewed better but they changed a bunch of mechanics for the worse IMO.

So is anyone gonna ask this? Is there even a point in asking this anymore? But do you think there will be some modding support? It's what kept the originals going for so long.

27 minutes ago, Radu said:

So is anyone gonna ask this? Is there even a point in asking this anymore? But do you think there will be some modding support? It's what kept the originals going for so long.

Don't think so given it's UE4, were there any other UE4 titles with modding support?

Edited by Buddy
On 3/27/2021 at 5:22 PM, Radu said:

From their videos, it seemed like they are remaking some of the previous areas like the Cordon. My bet is that they're gonna take the old game areas and connect them seamlessly, real open world style, with the space in between leaving room for new original content. That would probably save some time on development, without having to imagine everything from scratch, and also be familiar to old time fans.

I think one thing fans want is an endless aspect to the game, where you have the factions battling each other, mutants that respawn and randomly generated quests to take you across the world. I've seen a few mods for the old games that do exactly that. But they really need to capture the feeling of the old Zone and get the systems to work together.

Honestly, if they just take the areas from stalker original game + clear sky + call of Pripyat, and remake them in one seamless open world in UE4 (or upcoming 5) with new storyline/quests, I'd be happy.

47 minutes ago, will2k said:

Honestly, if they just take the areas from stalker original game + clear sky + call of Pripyat, and remake them in one seamless open world in UE4 (or upcoming 5) with new storyline/quests, I'd be happy.

Yes, agreed. I think most people would feel this way. There is no need to reinvent the wheel in this instance

On 3/27/2021 at 3:40 PM, Izuno said:

1)...  and despite not quite living up to their hype the game ultimately was still a gem.

True, though almost none of that team stayed at GSC. Part of it (departures before the game was released) formed 4A Games and another formed Vostok Games (after release).