Sign in to follow this  
Izuno

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 back in development

Ye olde tymers around here (going back to 2003 era) know the original S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has a special place in my heart despite all the challenges the developers had in getting the first game out the door.聽 Back then we at THQ did our best to try to support GSC and ultimately they made a great game which is still on my top 10 all time games list despite its flaws.

Anyway, sounds like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 may not be dead after all?

https://www.stalker2.com/

https://www.pcgamer.com/stalker-2-is-in-development-again/

So...in world where we need hope now more than ever, I hope this becomes a reality even though the current "date" is 2021. 馃槩

PS...

Oh? You give zero f.u.c.k.s.?聽 聽Listen to this and get in the mood: 馃檪

Yeah, I also have my doubts about it. However, I'm聽kinda expecting to see something in between Far Cry and Metro: Exodus with some old Stalker elements. I think they're on a good track with the art direction, but gameplay wise they might miss the mark. The thing I liked about Stalker is that the world was very harsh towards the player and often made you feel like you're just another poor sucker trying to survive. I also liked the deadly combat, where you'd often die in 2-3 hits from very accurate enemies. That's the main thing that I'm worried about, that they'll dumb down the AI and make it too easy.聽

Edited by Radu

5 hours ago, Buddy said:

I dunno bros, color me very skeptical.

Understandable.

I also had this concern voiced in a previous post back in March in this thread. The X-ray engine managed to look "soviet" and rugged, and its various bugs basically mirrored the game location as being聽unreliable and unpredictable.

Many feel that with using UE4, the game will lose its "soviet" look, and start to feel more western or extremely polished to not feel like the derelict exclusion zone.

We haven't played the game so these concerns might come to be true; but most of GSC veterans are聽still working on this game and it bet it's their labor of love, so I don't think making it half-assed is an option for them. I hope I'm not wrong聽:)

3 hours ago, Radu said:

Yeah, I also have my doubts about it. However, I'm聽kinda expecting to see something in between Far Cry and Metro: Exodus with some old Stalker elements. I think they're on a good track with the art direction, but gameplay wise they might miss the mark. The thing I liked about Stalker is that the world was very harsh towards the player and often made you feel like you're just another poor sucker trying to survive. I also liked the deadly combat, where you'd often die in 2-3 hits from very accurate enemies. That's the main thing that I'm worried about, that they'll dumb down the AI and make it too easy.聽

You're right.

Stalker did not hold your hand or give you preferential treatment because you're the player/protagonist; you were just another stalker scavenging the zone, and life/AI just went on their way, sometimes not realizing you're there.

And AI, as you said, was overly accurate. When I first reached Garbage in the original Stalker, it was pitch dark and I was ambushed by bandits. I heard the first shot, second shot I was dead.

I'm not sure if you have insider info about AI being dumbed down in this new game (to attract new players?); I sure hope it's not the case.

29 minutes ago, FMPONE said:

Better not suck >:)

Unless it's a Bloodsucker, those totally suck聽:D