Game journalist seem to not like their job anymore. They can’t seem to be able to stick to game (p)reviews anymore: they have to make it political or controversial for no absolute reason.

Rage is the latest case with articles and YouTube commentators focusing on the latest and most ridiculous shit I’ve heard in a while: some have been complaining about the marketing campaign (“I forgot was coming out!”) and the ludicrous accusation from Polygon founder that the devs are mocking him and people affected by his disability (upper lip something)

what

the

actual

fuck.

What about all the fat people naming and shaming then, never thought of that before. Maybe this guy even got a laugh or two off that kind of jokes/gags.

Fuck these people, this could represent why the digital revolution can be bad: when they had to take into account printing costs they would never thought to generate sales through tabloid-like content.

Edited by blackdog

Let's see who's profiting from this situation:

1. The editor who wrote the article (getting tons of clicks due to the controversy/backlash).
  2. The people who create video responses to such articles and who know that this is a topic that gamers will get enraged by/content they will share (like you).

Note that you are missing from this list.

1 hour ago, blackdog said:

shit like this rose to the surface rather than reviews and interesting content.

And online publications are suffering from it. VICE shutting down many of their branches, buzzfeed closing, Gizmodo (Kotaku) getting sold, etc.
They followed the metrics that told them that a certain type of click bait content performs the best and what we're seeing now, is a reflection of that mistake.

As with many things in life, this is a pendulum. It will re-balance itself.

Imagine thinking a hideous monster with insane deformity dialed up to 1,000 is a direct attack on you because you had an incredibly banal and easily curable (in the first world) birth defect. Just extreme narcissism, victim mentality, and naked click-baiting.

Game journalism sometimes fulfills a useful function pushing back on very reactionary elements in gaming culture, but this is certainly worthy of mockery and pretty emblematic of the desperation of these journalists to insert themselves into every fucking game launch.

I've watched a couple playthrough videos, the screen VFX are a bit annoying, and man there is a lot of asset popping everywhere, specially when you're flying around with a drone.

Gonna be honest here, this game did not capture my interest. I might pick it up later when it's half price or so.

6 hours ago, [HP] said:

I've watched a couple playthrough videos, the screen VFX are a bit annoying, and man there is a lot of asset popping everywhere, specially when you're flying around with a drone.

Gonna be honest here, this game did not capture my interest. I might pick it up later when it's half price or so.

Is that on console or on PC as well? Don’t remember having popping problems with Mad Max and JC(3)… but they are also quite lighter games to run in comparison (I think).

It seems very fun, if I hadn’t a giant back catalog and habit of only buying half price or less, I would prioritise this. I also still have to play Rage tho, might be the next game I install.

Just watched Jim’s review and I see what the scores previously posted mean. I feel like I want to try myself to believe, but a lot of what he says sounds familiar, like scavenger hunts and progress bars were all over Mad Max, a game that I liked but that really preyed on the OCD impulses of gamers. I’m particularly curious about the driving: in Mad Max was good for what I’m concerned, and in video it looks like Mad Max’s… but given the Just Cause precedents, what he says sounds believable.