Sign in to follow this  
Ubuska

[UT4] DM-Chamber

RELEASED

Map is available here: https://utcc.unrealpugs.com/map/348-DM-Chamber

cQnDFZW.jpg

vzsglzE.jpgpSxTxdV.jpgUxWW3K6.jpg6PkLCET.jpgwm7KKtC.jpgK4bLOtA.jpg

Old post

Hi! I'm making DM map for Unreal Tournament 4. The goal of this project is to make fun cool looking map with custom art within 100 mb file size.

It features trap room in the center of the map and zero grav pools. Playtesting was really fun :)

Here's bsp layout screenshots

Screenshot_04.jpg.b5abbf12cb844913aa54dadfd82e79f2.jpg

Screenshot_01.jpg.22a90ce442a2f1505cc7b5eb33d58cdb.jpg

Screenshot_02.jpg.eabe8904af797f176660df259db914da.jpg

Screenshot_03.jpg.e4a1980f479bd824802100169f612491.jpg

After 5 versions of this map and playtests I started an art pass for this map. Still very rough but I managed to come up with some interesting basic shapes and basic lighting, so it's a good start I think.

Screenshot_05.jpg.773c756373801a992afcccca3b54441f.jpg

Screenshot_06.jpg.a75da6e8528a561c2ea237b5704715eb.jpg

Screenshot_07.jpg.a97346e870f78577bc16ebe4ced67429.jpg

This map is available here: https://utcc.unrealpugs.com/map/348-DM-Chamber

Edited by Ubuska

Finished this map today, you can download it here: https://utcc.unrealpugs.com/map/348-DM-Chamber

This was hard to pull off because art in this map is custom 100% and I managed to get the size of 150 mb which is great. Making this level was a blast for me so please feel free to play it! :)

cQnDFZW.jpg

vzsglzE.jpg

pSxTxdV.jpg

UxWW3K6.jpg6PkLCET.jpgK4bLOtA.jpgwm7KKtC.jpg

11 minutes ago, Interfearance said:

Wow this looks great! The flowing curves looked really hard to make. Did you use maya to make the assets?

Thanks!

I used blender for all tasks. Flowing curves was hard to make look right, actual making process was pretty straightforward though. I used curves and when I felt that they look good I converted them to meshes and optimized/unwrapped them.

Edited by Ubuska

Ah I always wanted to use Blender to be able to sell 3d models (Maya student is non-commercial). After learning Maya blender felt backwards and it was a difficult transition. I even tried remapping all the keys to make it feel more like Maya. Apparently they both have unique advantages and a lot of people prefer blender. I should really get into it..

Here's breakdown of the map in terms of art pass - final collision and blockout stage. Pretty interesting stuff I think :)

[ 1 ] Art pass - Final Collision - Blockout

Dlmd_XmX4AMfwiw.jpg

Dlmd_XlWwAANhSH.jpg

Dlmd_cMXsAA2bTg.jpg

[ 2 ] Art pass - Final Collision - Blockout

Dlme2vXXgAEZKaI.jpg

Dlme2wyX4AAc-O3.jpg

Dlme2xxWsAAj5Wa.jpg

[ 3 ] Art pass - Final Collision - Blockout

DlmfMyvWwAASJ1y.jpg

DlmfMz0WwAAcrLq.jpg

DlmfM1HW4AYnQw0.jpg

[ 4 ] Art pass - Final Collision - Blockout

DlmfjFmW4AA1JXj.jpg

DlmfjFzWwAEbXz9.jpg

DlmfjHGWwAA8uF6.jpg

Nice, looks awesome, whats performance like?

The depth of the lines in the floor look pretty large and make it more difficult than it needs to be to read the surfaces, out of interest how do they interact with grenades? Do they use player collision?

35 minutes ago, Vilham said:

Nice, looks awesome, whats performance like?

The depth of the lines in the floor look pretty large and make it more difficult than it needs to be to read the surfaces, out of interest how do they interact with grenades? Do they use player collision?

Yes, grenades interact with player collision. Performance-wise it works great even on low end machines thanks to scalability settings, heavy LODing and stationary lights. Though there is a room for improvement performance-wise and in terms of visuals to the low settings scenario. I will make more lights stationary to make low graphics look better.

Chamber has been noticed and retweeted by UT official twitter account which is nice :)

I wish though that the game and community maps received more attention and love from the developer..

image.png.0b90a4febc408d6dfc784876426a6221.png

Edited by Ubuska