Ties

[CS:GO][WIP] Sluis

Sluis (pronounced sluice in English) is a bomb defusal map at a coastal town in the Netherlands.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1297078841

It is inspired by inland waterways, the beach and cute Dutch towns. To get a feeling what I'm going for here is a moodboard (got a lot more images, but gives a nice impression):

Spoiler

collage.jpg.b0b0afae8acd4701765c10148deac232.jpg

As this is my first map, it's all very early in development and I'm doing it in baby steps (as you can see in the changelog on the steam workshop and the gif below).

Spoiler

iterations.gif.4134fd454faf46928427695d38425ece.gif

I have shown some friends the map and tried some stuff, but I'm still unsure if the whole layout is going to work. At the moment I'm trying to make it ready for a playtest, but as it is my first map and my friends are no mappers I thought to share my work for some feedback before I submit it. So here are some more pictures:

Spoiler

20180328170920_1.jpg.1c8f16c7a6e51282f59479e4959ca2e9.jpg

de_sluis_radar.jpg.1e33941b15d3b2898a559a765648c9e9.jpg

20180328170940_1.jpg.127416af2217b27e1d0770219d47a6ab.jpg20180311132710_1.jpg.de47433a274c50456813854c23b3c031.jpg

20180309203129_1.jpg.433ccb202a9423c476336b9b46a8c57a.jpg

I'm currently trying to make the balcony area in mid better and doing some clipping.

Edited by Ties

Hi Ties! This map looks very good for you first... mine looked nowhere near like that! Keep adding detail to it as one of my weakest points was similar geometry throughout the whole map.

The only things I would suggest right now is adding nodraw textures to everywhere that the player won't see, as this increases frames dramatically. Try to use a 3D skybox as well as I can see you could have excellent surroundings!

Don't worry about if the layout won't work - just play it now and see if you have fun with you friends. If you do, then the map seems very successful, but if there's major issues, then you just edit them!

Good luck from CoconutDawg

22 hours ago, Ties said:

this is my first map

In Hammer? i am asking because it doesn't look like what usually beginners do in terms of geometry quality.

@SerialmapperMy first map in general

plan.png.890a2e35cbe8f86124fab57fbd26ccc9.png
I watched all TopHattWaffle's bootcamp video's. Made a plan (above) in Photoshop, collected images along the way for visualisation, blocked it out (alongside TopHatt's vids), found out that off grids sucks, blocked it out again and iterated from there. I'm a bit of a dreamer with a background in industrial design, so this was right up my street. While designing/dreaming/building, I lurked a lot in the source engine discord that was also helpfull.

I've also been playing counter strike on and off for a while now... guess that also helps

Edited by Ties

So I did my first playtest last week, it was brutal not gonna lie, but i want to thank everyone for participating and being honest. There is a lot to improve, that is for sure.

The feedback I found:

- Way to hard for CT's to hold mid and A
- Angles are too long
- Upper fort is OP
- Tree sucks ****
- Too little cover for CT's, too many angles to hold
- There is a spot where you can hold mid, A and B which sucks
- The ladders at CT suck ****
- Too open or too cluttered, never the right amount
- No fancy radar
+ The rotate times weren't that bad

If I missed somethings please let me know. I'm back to the drawingboard :)