NikiOo

[CS:GO] De_BigAssStatue

Are you using any phong? I think it's a more interesting direction, but the shapes bug me slightly because there are lots of wavy surfaces that aren't supported by the normal map. I would also try using object normal to put a different looking surface on the flat parts + maybe a small bevel?

Really nice work, looks like it's all coming together

2 hours ago, jakuza said:

Are you using any phong? I think it's a more interesting direction, but the shapes bug me slightly because there are lots of wavy surfaces that aren't supported by the normal map. I would also try using object normal to put a different looking surface on the flat parts + maybe a small bevel?

Really nice work, looks like it's all coming together

I've never actually used phong in any of my assets, but now that you've mentioned it, I might look into it and see if it can actually make the rocks look more interesting.

No changes have been made to the texture since the old rocks and wasn't very satisfied with how the normal looks, which is why I posted a low-shaders screenshot as well.

I'm planning on reworking the texture when I have some more time to put into it. Might also add some crevices, indents, etc. as normal detail.

I'll also consider adding a small bevel, that's definitely something to try.

Since this rock is 25% of the map, might as well make it look as good as possible.

The latest version is up on the workshop:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1297030515

I decided to give a purpose to the green color that appears so rarely around the map and use it to help the CTs identify where the Ts are going to come from and where encounters are about to happen:

Spoiler

XQyQR61.jpg

TJ22SUP.jpg

LLxp67T.jpg

yKbHeni.jpg

elOZEs1.jpg

Probably gonna do another playtest soon to test the reworked A site and other small changes.

Oh and here's the radar:

leI6PFe.png

2Uo2A9j.jpg

I just love how this looks.

MudetkN.jpg

I put a vent here as well which gives another option for Ts to approach B site and also makes mid cool AF.

sheedjrfk.png.ca58765f031dfefb01f2ab85973a8666.png

(mby more like the YELLOW-GREEN, YELLOW AND YELLOW ORANGE)

I'm working more on selling the statue construction theme, trying to make it more believable.

Also working on making the sites play uniquely from one another.

Also working on giving more options to both teams.

Also working on two other maps.

Aight that's all you get. I'ma get back to work.

btw it's starting to feel a little less corridory, thanks FMPONE for the tip.

Edited by NikiOo

What country / region is this map supposed to be set in, I ask because weird things like the crashed helicopter and seemingly broken highway overpass, seem to indicated that it would be somewhere in a third-world country, which would really make me question why people in a war-torn land would build a big ass statue in the middle of a desert.

15 hours ago, fewseb said:

What country / region is this map supposed to be set in, I ask because weird things like the crashed helicopter and seemingly broken highway overpass, seem to indicated that it would be somewhere in a third-world country, which would really make me question why people in a war-torn land would build a big ass statue in the middle of a desert.

It's definitely not a third-world country and the 'broken highway pass' is actually a bridge to the statue that's under construction. I'm not sure that I'm gonna keep it or maybe I should make it a little smaller, but ideally I wanna have one of those huge bridge construction cranes like this one:

2104924763_HZQ900-1024x768.jpg.2e29876d97243c14474e7d516b2345bf.jpg

The construction site is probably gonna be off to the side of a big city, but I haven't even decided if it's gonna be on an island or not yet, so I'm just throwing ideas off the top of my head at this point.

Edited by NikiOo

Gonna make one of these:

rsEyGZk.jpg

and one of these:

NsPtgkh.jpg

The crates also got a nice retexture.

The rocks got a new, more realistic looking texture.

We got a 3D skybox with cliffs in the distance and a city on the other side of the bridge.

Some of the areas are almost completely detailed.

Gotta get some more work done on CT spawn and then do the clipping and I'll probably do another playtest to test the new changes.

If the changes have the expected effect on the balance and if there aren't any big issues with the layout, then I'll go on to finish the detailing and get working on the statue.

BTW I'm also working on the other two maps. Please don't judge me, I have a lot of free time.

Here's my second go at texturing the excavator:

Spoiler

zqnjzWD.png

opevZmd.png

y2VMOuz.png

im9MTt4.png

siXr31K.png

This is just raw base color with baked in AO multiplier.

I'm probly gonna get back to it in the next couple of days and spend more time on individual pieces. Just wanted to leave this here in case you guys have any suggestions or If I'm doing something totally wrong. I think there are some parts that turned out really well and there are others that definitely need more work.

The truck is also modelled and it's damn huge. I want to get the texture of the excavator to a point where I'm satisfied with it before I move on to that.

These are actually the most complicated props I've ever made so It's a good learning process.

Next update's gonna be a big step forward visually.

I've updated the rocks texture and I've made a lot of thematic changes to different areas to make them more interesting and more fitting with the theme.

BTW I'm still working on the other two maps as well, don't you worry.

Edited by NikiOo