Sign in to follow this  
Jax0

[CS:GO] De_PointBlank

Hi Everyone,

This is my first Hammer map*, also my first CSGO map aaaand therefore my first Source map in general, so I'm a little late to the party but heyyy it's nice to be here at last.

So far I've spent about 7 or 8 days on it over 4 weeks. Roughly ~ 80 - 100 hours I'd say? I spent a lot of time playing bomb defusal and learning all the mechanics before jumping in of course. And watching some online matches to see what hacks players can exploit in the engine, and trying to design with all that in mind. It's actually a lot fun!

FVz731f.png

*I've dabbled, but never made a full map

So, what is de_pointblank?

The story is a terrorist/rebel group are infiltrating a weapons development facility hidden in the mountains with the goal of destroying either the weapons cache (A) or the giant satellite dish (B)

It's called pointblank as I was aiming to frequently funnel players into fairly close crossfire scenarios in enclosed spaces.

There are three main paths. Either through the HQ, or the mid-lane via the waterway, or through the server room which links A and B on the upper level. 

Here's a general diagram and overview of the initial layout:

QanLTtD.png

EDIT... I added a hallway between 'Turbine' and B
and Turbine is just a courtyard now, really

Amended layout in-editor, first greybox pass...

aR7uEri.png

Some early wip shots...

Bombsite B

tV1C5R4.png

Courtyard

53iSTYU.png

HQ

MKq8IiN.png

Bombsite A

uLeVPmq.png

And so far this week I've been learning a *lot* about lighting and prop placements and the difference between static props and dynamic props, so on and so on. 
I'll finish by just attaching some of the latest images. 

Aiming to have the map done asap! Want it in my portfolio ;)

XHAwX1P.png

Q9Grio9.png

e3u9RIG.png

GCruiEx.png

gCHel95.png

FPuqzkp.png

bs1FvW2.png

PS: I think I'm not enjoying the fog. It's hard to get it right and might be better off totally without!

I'm open to feedback, C&C! I'm learning a *lot* as I go along, so forgive me of any rookie errors haha. (But also please point them out. I need to know how to improve!)

Hey it's coming along nicely especially for a first map. Only concern I have right now are the dark spots/shadows in almost every room/area. Maybe try lighten up these areas to make the level more readable and also prettier to look at. 

Love the theme you have going here. You also have some interesting elements like the satellite dish and the "underground cache room". Just work on refining your brush work and lighting and keep play testing it. Good luck!

Thank you both! Yes, I'm yet to learn how to increase the brightness of the outdoor areas 'in shade' sections, seeing as I don't fully understand how the engine's global illumination is calculated. I'm thinking my plan of action might just be a few carefully placed standard lights to boost brightness without losing the distinction between sunlight and shadow.

And DRZ thank you, I'm now looking more critically at the brush work and the areas I would love to be lazy about and leave be, haha, but now planning ways I can break it up/ detail it/ shape it better into something more pleasing to the eye :)

A couple more photos of the 'vista', as I spent tonight working on the foreground and background. Yet to make it blend seamlessely but I'll get there~ 

(Also still figuring out the best settings for nice shadows on props! They're being so difficult)

de_pointblank_v110004.png

de_pointblank_v110003.png

de_pointblank_v110008.png

Edited by Jax0