will2k

A NEW HOPE: Will2k's Dying Light Single-player campaign [WIP]

On 12/21/2018 at 8:32 PM, blackdog said:

Nice :)

OT: tools allow you to make Battle Royale maps now that they’ve launched the DLC?

Dying Light:Bad Blood is not a DLC; it's a full standalone separate game that uses the Dying Light engine with updated assets/meshes/materials/entities.

The current developer tools only cater to Dying Light and its DLC (The Following) and does not contain the new assets of Bad Blood.

I'm not sure if they will release new dev tools once the game leaves early access; we'll wait and see :)

15 hours ago, blackdog said:

Can’t believe one year has passed so fast 😵 huge congrats for sticking it!

2018 flew by pretty quickly and I enjoyed learning the tools and working on this project.

@will2k Congrats! It must have been a challenge to keep at it for so long so consistently. What's the play time for the mod from start to finish? Also, how many hours per day did you dedicate to it?

Coming soon 

Whatup folks! I'm back. I've been away for more than 3 months (116 notifications once I logged in now :whaaa:); real life issues and work always manage to get in the way :)

Nevertheless, I've been working tirelessly towards finishing this campaign that turned out to be huge in scope and consumed every bit of free time I have. I now basically design scripts and quests while sleeping and dreaming too :)

I had a couple of minor setbacks while designing the finale and I had to counter it by... creating my own custom AI specific for the finale. 

A year and a half ago when I started this project, I knew little about scripting; now I'm creating my own AI presets and scripts as well as more than 870 lines of quests script.

I'm working late nights on this and still have to finish the last 10% of this WIP (final art pass, detailing tweaks, FX, sounds, power lines, AI barriers...), and if everything goes well, I should be going public and releasing this campaign somewhere this month.

Now for some screenshots to compensate for the lack of updates in the last 3 months :D

tOvryE7.jpg

d01qIJu.jpg

yfbykJs.jpg

oMrM9M9.jpg

ohKN0CS.jpg

mKIUCh7.jpg

EzSvGWm.jpg

emymGRh.jpg

E2KrUXZ.jpg

PbvFej1.jpg

kJ6BgTc.jpg

oupTfjm.jpg

cx6WN8w.jpg

1 hour ago, blackdog said:

I hope the devs see your thing and decide to support you in the release, I dunno some featured DLC with all this effort would be super cool.

:)

Grazie mille Flavio; you've been a constant voice of support and cheers along this project. (congrats on becoming a dad; just recapping with what happened during my absence here :D)

45 minutes ago, Radu said:

@will2k how long does it take to play through it atm?

damn, I leave for little over 3 months and you already are with Ubi!

Jokes aside, congrats on the position :).

The gameplay will totally depend on player skill (knowledge of parkour and Dying Light mechanics) and style (explorer or just speed-running thru the main quest)

If one will choose to go as quickly as possible thru the quests without any exploration of remote locations, points of interest, scavenging, fighting or random encounters with NPC, then you can finish the campaign in approx 2h 15 min (give or take 10-15 min)

If you decide to enjoy the campaign as it is supposed to be played, then you could easily sink 3-4hrs +; it's yours to play as you see fit :)

10 hours ago, will2k said:

damn, I leave for little over 3 months and you already are with Ubi!

Jokes aside, congrats on the position :).

The gameplay will totally depend on player skill (knowledge of parkour and Dying Light mechanics) and style (explorer or just speed-running thru the main quest)

If one will choose to go as quickly as possible thru the quests without any exploration of remote locations, points of interest, scavenging, fighting or random encounters with NPC, then you can finish the campaign in approx 2h 15 min (give or take 10-15 min)

If you decide to enjoy the campaign as it is supposed to be played, then you could easily sink 3-4hrs +; it's yours to play as you see fit :)

I waited for you, Will, but you took too long!

Thanks, it's not exactly level design, but *at least I'm getting relevant industry experience*. 

Sorry for asking about the length again. I just scrolled up to see I also asked back in january. Damn, it's almost summer? Anyway, looking forward to see this released.

13 hours ago, Radu said:

I waited for you, Will, but you took too long!

Thanks, it's not exactly level design, but *at least I'm getting relevant industry experience*. 

Sorry for asking about the length again. I just scrolled up to see I also asked back in january. Damn, it's almost summer? Anyway, looking forward to see this released.

One open door leads to another, so having a foot at Ubi is a good thing and will lead to exciting things in the near future.

I just scrolled back and saw your January post; I was already gone by the time you posted, hence the no reply

Regarding the amount of hours, it really varies from day to day, week to week.

To give a rounded average, I have clocked around 1500 hrs in the dev tools over 18 months, which makes for 83.33 hrs per month on avg, 2.77 hrs per day on avg (assuming every day work) :)

Lighting tweaks

While daylight is pretty straightforward (sun light that takes care of most lighting), night light in contrast requires the designer's manual intervention, some tweaking, and playing with a combination of dimmers, omni-directional, spot-shadow, and volume lights; once nailed correctly, it can produce some atmospheric scenes.

FhBYetv.jpg

P4WDvMu.jpg

i094zZG.jpg

XcC9qxX.jpg