will2k

A NEW HOPE: Will2k's Dying Light Single-player campaign [WIP]

30 minutes ago, will2k said:

The 2018 Zombie Football World Cup is almost here

Get your tickets now and treat yourself to a front row seat display of biting ...nail-biting action

(PS: ball is fully functional :D)

EpPsGnD.jpg

BxiD2Bx.jpg

Now that's what I call extreme sports. Though, it's a bit weird to have that football field right next a secured camp. You'd think they would add some similar fencing just in case.

On 3/13/2018 at 7:19 PM, Radu said:

Now that's what I call extreme sports. Though, it's a bit weird to have that football field right next a secured camp. You'd think they would add some similar fencing just in case.

but...but, this field is for zombies to play football, not humans.

you don't want zombies to play football? to have fun outside? to exercise and stay healthy? you inconsiderate zombiephobe; I can't even right now..

All joking aside :D, the field as the story goes, was made before the virus outbreak/quarantine, for the kids in this rural town to play. It's not used much nowadays but still kept more or less tidy, just in case the zombies challenge humans to a game of football :v

But as you said, I'll probably throw in some barricades here and there around the field. Thanks

Would be cool if you could make it a side quest given by some kid in the camp: to gather materials for a proper fence around it. Could be one of those small details that gives the place some humanity.

1 hour ago, Radu said:

Would be cool if you could make it a side quest given by some kid in the camp: to gather materials for a proper fence around it. Could be one of those small details that gives the place some humanity.

Excellent idea :)

I'll see what I can do about it

Having a really good time with terrain forming and sculpting in the tools, creating natural-looking mountains and hills.

I'm creating my greyscale heightmaps in "Terragen" or "World Machine", then importing them into the tools as brushes then follow up with manual sculpting and tuning.

lbemmMi.jpg

FjNVeIL.jpg

Anyone wanna go camping this weekend?

zD9QIkc.jpg

zHPbTRd.jpg

EsftKwZ.jpg

O2ddpv9.jpg

Campaign is progressing very smoothly now that I'm really comfortable with the dev tools.

2nd part of the campaign is almost done; scripted NPCs, boss fights and fight sequences in general, as well as exploration areas are mostly set.

2 side quests are also under planning to be soon implemented

Random fact: At the time I initially posted this WIP thread on January 26, 2018, I had around 150 hrs on the dev tools; now it's 475 hrs :)

Spring [update] is here

Haven't had any updates in over a month, but here I am with a massive Spring update.

More production time is being now allocated to detailing to make sure the map/campaign plays and feels like a natural continuation of the stock game.

A big and fresh batch of screenshots

GatCwRL.jpg

Elg1g75.jpg

8AMcpgO.jpg

O45L8YS.jpg

8CGoZ4C.jpg

Sd9Hz5l.jpg

QRKdFwe.jpg

duVxdrz.jpg

SUefAd4.jpg

EVXLRFI.jpg

21 hours ago, blackdog said:

Lighting is so much better now!

Awesome work my friend :)

Grazie :)

I'm aiming for quality on par with the stock game whether with the visuals or the story/quests themselves.

Thanks for the uplifting cheers, appreciate it

On terms of lighting, is it just a matter of compiling with different settings/trigger a better light calculation, or you have actively done stuff to improve it? I mean from what I know the light is dynamic, so you'd expect to get very dark indoors while before they looked like light was bleeding through/as if "fullbright" was on.

Would you be able to briefly explain since I haven't seen how this engine works.

On 5/14/2018 at 11:17 AM, blackdog said:

On terms of lighting,  you have actively done stuff to improve it?

Yes of course :)

The earlier pic you mentioned about indoor lighting was basically a bare early WIP in terms of lighting as I hadn't done any work on it up to that point, except for the env lighting (sun light).

In the newer pics, I have added dynamic lights, env probes, light dimmers, and tweaked the indoor lighting and soft shadows.

Mind you, this is still a WIP as I'm continuously working on and improving lighting among other things (The indoor lighting/shadow is even additionally improved in the recent map build)

Summer Progress Update

Hey everyone

Been away for almost 2 months and haven't posted any updates to this thread/WIP since early May. Work slowed down to a complete halt during all the month of June since I was very busy in real life, and Summer started :)

However i did a lot of earlier progress during May and in the 2nd part of the current July month; development is still going on strong and steady.

2 fully scripted side quests have been implemented (with a possible 3rd one being under planning/prototyping)
New custom dialogs with custom audio
New areas added
The 2nd major part/area of the main quests is under detailing/first art pass
Extensive work done to create new indoor locations for exploration and side quests
First lighting pass and tweaks
A lot of manual fine tuning to the nav mesh to make sure volatiles and virals can chase you pretty much everywhere in the map :)

I will soon move on to create the 3rd and last area of the main quest where the events leading to the grand finale will take place.
I'm trying my best to make each area look unique while maintaining a coherent theme throughout the campaign.

A fresh batch of screenshots:

zbKBNzX.jpg

NDtqsTe.jpg

More terrain forming, water towers and ziplines fun.

jjh5kTt.jpg

One of the new NPCs in the main quest

gXQPjG7.jpg

Vze30D0.jpg

iM6BiVe.jpg

qLPrAJY.jpg

One of the side quests that the player gets from the sanctuary.

VNDQuHI.jpg

QqNWetb.jpg

As I mentioned before, work has resumed so updates should be more frequent as was the case before the break.

Stay tuned, the light at the end of the tunnel is starting to show.