will2k

A NEW HOPE: Will2k's Dying Light Single-player campaign [WIP]

This looks awesome!

It's a pretty powerful editor, I was very surprised. I messed around with it like a month back or so but didn't want to commit to anything cause I felt I kinda missed the boat with this game. 

Is it possible to create custom assets/textures for your maps in this?

15 hours ago, nikkoship said:

This looks awesome!

It's a pretty powerful editor, I was very surprised. I messed around with it like a month back or so but didn't want to commit to anything cause I felt I kinda missed the boat with this game. 

Thank you nikko :)

Yes, absolutely. You can create your custom assets then import them into the editor

Here's a short video (4 min) from Developer Techland showing the basics of importing custom assets

On 31/01/2018 at 7:58 PM, nikkoship said:

This looks awesome!

This is a thing with most of the games that allow for customisation. It's quite sad that devs spwmd time to put tools out and few get into that; but unless you are very hungry to try different techs or in love with a game, you don't get involved... while it would be quite logical choice for those that want a job in the industry, as it becomes easier to get noticed in a less crowded scene.

7 hours ago, will2k said:

It's a bit of both actually :-D

What I mean is the average modder normally sticks to a tech once settled in. One might like to try different techs but be put off by a small player base, deeming it an unworthy effort.

FC2-3-4 came with an easy editor, surely had lots of players (we know they are hits) but I’ve never heard of a modding community posting maps (feels even Crysis created more interest).

So I see what you’ve done as a great way to get a job! If one really wants to work for a certain company and they provide tools, better male something ;)

Major update today:

The first part of the campaign (out of 3 major parts) is almost finished where the player has to locate, save, and contact a survivor to gather more info about the whereabouts of the medicinal herb.

The warehouse where the encounter happens is almost done with a fight sequence and a mini boss; I have also implemented a custom dialog with the human NPC survivor. The implementation of the custom dialog wasn't a smooth sail at first and left me scratching my head for a whole day as the dialog script wasn't properly loading in the editor. After much trial and error, a test map, and half a day of analysis and frustration, I finally got to the bottom of the issue. It was a simple one-letter typo in the script (lower case instead of upper case) that was the root cause of my shenanigans. All is good now :)

IQifaoe.jpg

U6eNjSz.jpg

Sample of the custom dialog

edGcaJL.jpg

Bonus pics from new quest parts

y2m7YgV.jpg

2jFg824.jpg

On a somewhat related note, developer Techland is celebrating the 3 year anniversary of Dying Light by having the whole month of February for celebratory festivities :)

They will release a new content drop/free DLC, a new community event with rewards at its end, and weekly giveaways on their website. And to top this up, there is a massive sale on Dying Light up to 67% off. If you are still on the fence about buying it, now is the perfect time :)
Full details here

3 hours ago, Zarsky said:

Looks really cool! Just started playing DL, but sadly on the wrong platform. :/

Looking forward to see more of your progress none the less.

Thanks; it's never too late to get it on PC (on sale) ;)

I have prepared a couple of short videos of me running and fooling around in the map for the folks who won't be able to play the campaign. Will post them soon, stay tuned :)

@will2k Just curious as I have no experience outside of Source myself, how difficult is it to pick up tools for UE or whatever engine DL uses? Did you find any of your skills learned through the Source engine to be useful, or was it completely new and different?

As promised before, here's the first short gameplay video in a series of videos I am preparing.

The video (around 2 minutes) showcases myself running around some parts of the map, killing zombies and infected, and doing random things.

I avoided showing any story quests as to not spoil it for the folks who will play the campaign upon release :)

On 2/17/2018 at 5:04 PM, sevin said:

@will2k Just curious as I have no experience outside of Source myself, how difficult is it to pick up tools for UE or whatever engine DL uses? Did you find any of your skills learned through the Source engine to be useful, or was it completely new and different?

The general concepts of level design will carry over regardless of engine such as game flow, encounters, chokepoints, pacing, detailing, scene composition. The tools themselves and the technical aspects are totally different and you'll have to learn them from scratch.

The engine technology can be so different that you'll even have to forget concepts you applied in Source as they become obsolete in the new engine.

The 3rd and last short gameplay video, this time showcasing some night gameplay.

For those who have not played Dying Light, the game almost shifts 180° when night falls. During the day, you're the hunter, but at night you become more or less the hunted.

Extremely dangerous nocturnal infected come out to "play" at night called "volatiles", which are basically a cross between the reapers from the movie "Blade 2" and the darkseekers from the movie "I Am Legend".

They pounced at me and pinned me momentarily to the ground in the video (they didn't kill me because I was testing with developer mode on :shifty:)

The work on the 2nd part of the campaign is well underway, and I've also added custom audio to match the custom dialog implemented earlier.

The part that I found the most difficult when I started this project, scripting and quest creation, is turning out to be my new favorite aspect of this project. The quest as I planned initially is now doubled and may even triple in scope as I'm getting more and more comfortable with the scripting and programming side. I'm basically having a field day with the scripts to spice up the gameplay and story.

Fresh batch of screenshots

the military checkpoint serving as a chokepoint between the first and second map

QxACQKZ.jpg

Construction/storage site

PzJMnhr.jpg

Welcome to the Sanctuary

Work is progressing fast :) despite the fact that most of the assets/meshes are modular, requiring a considerable amount of time to build and assemble (i.e. the rural house in the below screenshots)

The sanctuary will be the main survivors' hub used to advance the main story as well as get side quests.

As you can notice, the different NPCs are all scripted, going about their daily activities. The player can interact with them, and on top of the custom dialog, I also created and implemented custom audio to go along with the dialog.

8KzE9Km.jpg

IijIfvO.jpg

kkhhWha.jpg

TegoaTP.jpg