FMPONE

Mapcore FACEIT Hubs

How is this hub thing supposed to work? Does it launch CS when a game is ready?

After 15 min I started CS, and after a game or two when I went out to change map group, I was prompted this:

20180110235745_1.jpg.b0b1cb9e8d37f04ddd218d81ce947369.jpg20180110235758_1.jpg.3ba746d575e1f9d75805d05b7d00b632.jpg

and would just never work. Since I was trying to play casual I guess I was queuing in Faceit? Why was giving an error all the time?

17 minutes ago, blackdog said:

How is this hub thing supposed to work? Does it launch CS when a game is ready?

After 15 min I started CS, and after a game or two when I went out to change map group, I was prompted this:

20180110235745_1.jpg.b0b1cb9e8d37f04ddd218d81ce947369.jpg20180110235758_1.jpg.3ba746d575e1f9d75805d05b7d00b632.jpg

and would just never work. Since I was trying to play casual I guess I was queuing in Faceit? Why was giving an error all the time?

i'm not sure I understand?

The way it works is you do everything on FACEIT, you play with 9 other individuals and you all vote on which server location and map you will use, and then the FACEIT hub spits out a server IP that you connect to. It's not something you can do on your own. It's like matchmaking in that you have to wait for 9 other users to agree to play. Our HUB will most likely only be busy during those days when we clearly specific that an event is going on, here or on Twitter.

7 minutes ago, FMPONE said:

i'm not sure I understand?

The way it works is you do everything on FACEIT, you play with 9 other individuals and you all vote on which server location and map you will use, and then the FACEIT hub spits out a server IP that you connect to. It's not something you can do on your own. It's like matchmaking in that you have to wait for 9 other users to agree to play. Our HUB will most likely only be busy during those days when we clearly specific that an event is going on, here or on Twitter.

It looked like there were other people in the hub, I assumed they were already playing and I was waiting for more to fill.

I was very puzzled by the competitive match that appeared, maybe a glitch? It appeared when I tried to select a different map group.

4 minutes ago, blackdog said:

It looked like there were other people in the hub, I assumed they were already playing and I was waiting for more to fill.

I was very puzzled by the competitive match that appeared, maybe a glitch? It appeared when I tried to select a different map group.

I understand your confusion, the UI could be more clear.

The number I've highlighted in red is x/10. So, in this example 3/10. You need 10 for the HUB queue to pop. We will typically only be able to reach that number when the chat is active, the HUBs are being promoted, etc. It would be nice one day to grow the HUB to the extent that this is routinely happening, but they are new and we will need to work on building a sustainable audience.

number.png.629a56535d8601b4ba388649c315ca17.png

You click play, and you are added to that x/10 number and alerted when it's time to accept the game.

I feel that connection times should definitely be upped, the time shouldn't be the same as it normally is when players are playing valve maps they obviously already have stored on their drives. Currently, it's hard to start games due to player's downloading the maps on game start and aren't downloading them in time.

It may also be useful to suggest users to download them before hand when they begin searching for a game. 

Is there an incentive we can offer or faceit for participating in the faceit hub? Because I feel like we could hold tournaments or something for faceit points or skins to motivate people to pursue the hubs more often.  We need to get the players in the servers more in order to build a community that wants to play community maps be it old or new.  This is still a very new thing for the mapping community and I can see it as a BIG step forward for everyone.   

11 hours ago, JimWood said:

I feel that just ensuring the tests happen when listed on the tweets would get users coming back. Constantly changing the dates due to issues may cause players to not come back 

Right now everything has to be sort of run by FACEIT, so we will have to plan everything out extremely well in advance for future tests. And even then there may be technical issues, it’s new for everyone.

Long term I’ve suggested uploading Workshop maps. It’s great that FACEIT has a huge brand name and following, which is the good part, but it’s tough to be nimble and run an active community unless you can do some things on a whim whenever people are around.

On the MapCore side we can get you guys access to make promotional announcements. We will probably need to think about promo graphics for these when we do them.

You guys should all have moderator tools for the HUB now. We will hopefully be able to increase wait time before disbanding HUBs, since that has killed a ton of momentum gathering people. It’s tough when you wait 15 minutes and the game looks like it will happen and then it doesn’t, and that is issue needs to be fixed somehow (map downloading). Maybe an additional prompt after you queue, right after you press play on our server?

15 hours ago, CSGOJOHNMADDEN said:

Is there an incentive we can offer or faceit for participating in the faceit hub? Because I feel like we could hold tournaments or something for faceit points or skins to motivate people to pursue the hubs more often.  We need to get the players in the servers more in order to build a community that wants to play community maps be it old or new.  This is still a very new thing for the mapping community and I can see it as a BIG step forward for everyone.   

Yeah I think this is a really useful idea, especially if we could target users already active on FACEIT, just increasing the incentive to play on Mapcore sometimes.

At the moment I have a small list of maps, that are moderately polished, I've gone thru a good chuck of the maps, and was basically grading them if they have potential to be played on the hubs. That way we aren't grasping for straws for when we set up which maps to run. 

1 hour ago, FMPONE said:

We will probably need to think about promo graphics for these when we do them.

Graphics can be easily done, its a simple photoshop job imo.

Should someone configure a dropbox or gdrive that we can use to throw files and such?

1 hour ago, CSGOJOHNMADDEN said:

At the moment I have a small list of maps, that are moderately polished, I've gone thru a good chuck of the maps, and was basically grading them if they have potential to be played on the hubs. That way we aren't grasping for straws for when we set up which maps to run. 

Graphics can be easily done, its a simple photoshop job imo.

Should someone configure a dropbox or gdrive that we can use to throw files and such?

Sounds good, just keep in mind we have to speak with FACEIT before the maps are on the server. Currently I think we have the contest maps plus Grind and Breach.

2 hours ago, FMPONE said:

Sounds good, just keep in mind we have to speak with FACEIT before the maps are on the server. Currently I think we have the contest maps plus Grind and Breach.

I've been thinking about an idea for running competition on the hub. Rather than competitions for players, my thoughts are competitions for maps.

The basic idea is an elimination style playoff for maps, whereby players can actively choose their favourite maps to keep in the competition. Each day, two maps are played, the map with the most votes (or matches played on?) progresses to the next stage of the competition.

This would allow for players to keep maps they like on the rotation for as long as possible throughout the competition, and would hopefully allow for mappers to get new insightful feedback on their maps. Rather than the usual "I like/dislike this map for this reason" I feel that it would introduce a more unique style of feedback, such as:

"one of the reasons I chose de_grind over de_breach is due to it's unique style of Mid, which allows for each round to introduce various different playing styles, whereas i do not feel de_breach has its own uniqueness" as an example. It would allow players to judge maps compared to others.

This could even be introduced to old operation maps, which would allow people to play old maps they haven't played in years and would be unable to play otherwise. I feel that this may also introduce many more players to the hub. 

Edited by JimWood

1 hour ago, JimWood said:

I've been thinking about an idea for running competition on the hub. Rather than competitions for players, my thoughts are competitions for maps.

The basic idea is an elimination style playoff for maps, whereby players can actively choose their favourite maps to keep in the competition. Each day, two maps are played, the map with the most votes (or matches played on?) progresses to the next stage of the competition.

This would allow for players to keep maps they like on the rotation for as long as possible throughout the competition, and would hopefully allow for mappers to get new insightful feedback on their maps. Rather than the usual "I like/dislike this map for this reason" I feel that it would introduce a more unique style of feedback, such as:

"one of the reasons I chose de_grind over de_breach is due to it's unique style of Mid, which allows for each round to introduce various different playing styles, whereas i do not feel de_breach has its own uniqueness" as an example. It would allow players to judge maps compared to others.

This could even be introduced to old operation maps, which would allow people to play old maps they haven't played in years and would be unable to play otherwise. I feel that this may also introduce many more players to the hub. 

With all due respect, we don't have that many games played on the HUB to even begin this kind of detailed discussion. We've got a number of things to work on, basic things, and I'm trying to move us in that direction asap.

3 hours ago, FMPONE said:

With all due respect, we don't have that many games played on the HUB to even begin this kind of detailed discussion. We've got a number of things to work on, basic things, and I'm trying to move us in that direction asap.

One for the future, maybe. 

After that botched attempt some time ago I haven’t tried using Faceit anymore, despite playing several hours.

This posts remind me to try again… although I’m concerned there will be just an incredibly long wait time for nothing you happen