Sign in to follow this  
blackdog

In the Valley of Gods - Campo Santo

It's just speculation. The official word is that it was put on hold while the original devs helped with hla. We don't know if they resumed work on it or are now helping with Citadel.

At this point, I almost expect to see it as another VR title. From the trailer, it seemed like the game has a bunch of moments suitable for that medium. And if development continues, I assume they're gonna have or want to port everything to Source 2, which should set them back a bit.

30 minutes ago, Buddy said:

Or maybe this thing just wasn't fun and they shelved it for that reason?

It’s the same kind of walking simulator like Firewatch, I don’t think they could bomb so hard to need to shelve their project. The fan base (people like me) would have bought it without question.

The VR aspect you mention @Radu, I think was something we joked as well: that probably they would be required to port the game to Source 2… it would make total sense if they were converting to VR.

I know it’s just “on hold” officially, but you’ll agree that is super annoying and frustrating for fans and the developers, I mean in this couple of years on their own they would have completed it you’d think. So the feeling that being acquired at Valve is a death sentence for projects is not far from truth. You’d expect that when you make such acquisition you work as an incubator.

Edited by blackdog

I believe this project would lure a small portion of staff onboard, so it's hard to imagine that it would die completely. I think it's just been pushed aside as these other projects have grown.

I'd be very happy if this game would be adapted to VR and they'd borrow the core mechanics and linear level design from hla.

Edited by Zarsky