spa

de_icarus (former de_corp)

Hi Mapcore, I'm ready to share some progress on my map de_icarus (former de_corp here). Its been through some iterations and playtest and I've settled on the current layout. It still needs some

polish and detailing in places, and skybox needs some love + callouts.

icarus_06.jpg.c7435b015c6f070a884b42a508c9721d.jpg

icarus_04.jpg.49b6406657e9e160c70d39e64194e518.jpg

icarus_03.jpg.12d750a9722350d0f8ea5b36068240cb.jpg

icarus_05.jpg.1a4a09a0f3d5067f141cb2db95a937d4.jpg

icarus_02.jpg.05ff374de69c27fed9a641cbaa27f95b.jpg

icarus_07.jpg.97ca5b42b6aff257a8ab876d850c62b2.jpg

icarus_08.jpg.770a10fe12e0b2f4bf41df001ec45324.jpg

icarus_01.jpg.b5364122b642b1d0f35db74ab5a7beac.jpg

Workshop Link

Its been quite the ride so far on this map as its my first for csgo and hammer and im learning each step as they come. Its been absolutely great to have such a rich amount of tutorials and resources as well as community feedback, and general helpfulness!

Full credit:

Resources:
- Rick_D for CS_Agency textures and props
- TopHATTwaffle for realworld textures and tutorials
- Skybex for Stadium/Workout texture references and props
- Shawn Olson and Orvid King for WallWorm
- Textures.com
- VTFEdit
- VIDE

Playtesting and feedback:
- Benjamin "Aranha" Thorhauge
- Roald
- PvtJelo
- Horderp
- Mapcore.org Community
- /r/CSMapMakers Community

Feel free to post any comments and questions!

It's looking really good, I like the architecture you've got going and the custom textures fit well. You probably want to work on the lighting though, as in some areas it's too bright and washed out, when at the same time some spots are seemingly pretty dark. It's shaping up great for a first map.

Awesome stuff. It's looking like it's almost ready to release.

Really enjoying the lighting of the level, especially what you've got going on in the 5th and 6th screenshots. One comment I'd make is that there's too much white light in the interior, which is making a lot of the areas look the same to me, and could possibly be a little disorienting to a lost player. I'd try adding some more yellow like you've got going on in the hallway (Note: it almost looks like only the right side of ceiling lights are projecting enough to show on the floor) to make the eyes move around or possibly a bit more of a blueish tone in that lobby area to make the screens pop some more, the yellow coming off of the hanging lights is a nice addition. 

On the topic of that lobby area, does the screen on the pillar in the center animate at all? The giant 'A' on it makes me think it's the A bombsite. (Note: I don't really play CS, so this comment may be moot xP)

I keep picturing this map in a night time setting, I think the office-style fluorescent lights and the odd construction lamp you've added could really make some areas stand out and be a fun set up to lead players around.

Looking forward to seeing it all polished up! Keep up the good work :]

Thanks for the comment guys!

cactus1549: Yeah it needs a more level lighting pass, probably also need to tweak the exposure.

Eric_Chocholacek: Thats some good points I'll look into! Its indeed bombsite A as the pillar indicates, and no animations on billboards as players would find that distracting I think. I do like the idea of a nighttime setting (especially with all the white surfaces that easily burn out) but i think in general it makes it harder to get that even lighting that you need for competitive play without compromising on how it should be represented visually to make it look its best. Its exactly that constant tug of war between visuals and game play i find so fascinating in the decision making process of making a CSGO level!