Mark Karhan

Making Doors and Windows in Maya

I'M USING MAYA: I am attempting to make a window inset within a wall (duhh). I want to also give it a door. The problem is that I cannot decide how to come about it. I could extrude and use offset, but that only works for one feature, the door or window, before the mesh gets messy. I could use booleans but I'm not sure whether that is "allowed" by modeling standards as I am striving to maintain clean topology. Lastly I could use a lot of edge loops, but for other projects this will be less than ideal as it will be difficult to create window sills and other features on the x and y axis rather than just in the wall's dimensions. The wall features in the pictures are not actually attached to the wall, and I am not sure whether this was making it easier or harder in the long run. I inserted a few vertical edge loops (tiny circles), to be able to select each face between the features for the possibility of the offset method. The window and door need to be under the line in the big circle in #2 .png.  Also does anyone know how to create neon signs without using NURBS circles and the CV curves? (It gets messy). Thanks in advance.

-A complete and utter noob who spent too much time modeling weapons and lego pieces (me)

It's probably best to take them from whatever game you intend to create models for, to get an idea of what that game engine is capable of. So if you're looking to model for CS:GO, I would start by Googling something like "Extract Source Models for Use in Maya" or something. An added bonus of doing this is that you'll become familiar with the directory structure and naming conventions of the game you're modding, which is going to be very useful when you're ready to start importing your own creations.

Edited by text_fish