blackdog

The Olympics Committee officially opens to eSport

Great and annoying news at the same time: the Olympics Committee acknowledges eSport as a sports activity, but if coming to the greatest events of all, wants “to promote equality and non-violence”:
https://www.polygon.com/2017/8/30/16228134/olympics-esports-violent-video-games

Was going to post in CS topic until I read about the non-violence 😒

Edited by blackdog

"This definitely means no Counter-Strike or Overwatch and probably means no Dota2 or League of Legends."

I'm pretty sure that I won't see the "Olympics eSports".

Edited by CuervoSp

2 hours ago, Sigma said:

Nah, we will see speed runs of Super Mario Bro.'s. Racing games maybe.

Everything but what everyone wants to watch :P

I'm pretty sure when Mr Estanguet suggested exports, he was thinking about Lol-Dota-CS-starcraft.

Well at best you'd have seen r6 siege-overwatch-hearthstone-age of empire, but nothing else less popular

There is still a very real chance for "violent" video games in Olympics however. Keep in mind that many sports (e.g., archery, skeet shooting, bi-athlon, wrestling, boxing, etc . . .) are in-fact violent. It is a matter of application and acceptability though. The question becomes what constitutes too much violence for the mandated purposes of the Olympics (international cooperation and peaceful competition). I think what is likely to happen will be games with very high skill ceilings and excitement (e.g., RTS's like Starcraft or realistic racing games [although how this compares to actual racing I don't know]) and team games that are not overly-gorey (e.g., LoL or Dota) would be likely candidates whereas first person shooters are less likely to be approved by the committee due to their inherent "promotion" of violence (particularly those with high-gore/violence).

Maybe Valve will put a bit more work in to their low violence mode? IIRC at the moment 'dead' enemies lie down with their hands behind their heads and there's no blood. It's quite funny to watch really.

Or maybe the core needs to step up and create a non-violent tactical shooter that isn't silly day-glo splatoon-style paintball? Here, I'll throw a design in to the hat:

SUPER-DUPER-TAG-TEAM-TAGGING
Team-based FPS, where guns shoot "tags" instead of bullets. Instead of killing or hurting the player, tags simply remain on their avatar accumulating points for the other team. Team-mates can de-tag each other simply by approaching their team-mate and holding "use" until the tags are gone. Once a tagged player accrues 100 points for the other team they're 'frozen' and can't shoot any more, until their team-mate fully de-tags them.

In amongst all the tagging there would be some sort of asymmetrical objective such as capture points or a one-flag CTF mode, to provide interesting map strategies and give us a reason to develop new maps for it.

The end

Now we just need to sell it to the Olympics for $£$£$£$£'s.

1 hour ago, text_fish said:

Maybe Valve will put a bit more work in to their low violence mode? IIRC at the moment 'dead' enemies lie down with their hands behind their heads and there's no blood. It's quite funny to watch really.

Or maybe the core needs to step up and create a non-violent tactical shooter that isn't silly day-glo splatoon-style paintball? Here, I'll throw a design in to the hat:

SUPER-DUPER-TAG-TEAM-TAGGING
Team-based FPS, where guns shoot "tags" instead of bullets. Instead of killing or hurting the player, tags simply remain on their avatar accumulating points for the other team. Team-mates can de-tag each other simply by approaching their team-mate and holding "use" until the tags are gone. Once a tagged player accrues 100 points for the other team they're 'frozen' and can't shoot any more, until their team-mate fully de-tags them.

In amongst all the tagging there would be some sort of asymmetrical objective such as capture points or a one-flag CTF mode, to provide interesting map strategies and give us a reason to develop new maps for it.

The end

Now we just need to sell it to the Olympics for $£$£$£$£'s.

You can do a paintball game, I was thinking about it. But you can do it as a police training mode or something like that, this way you can try to keep it serious

45 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

You can do a paintball game, I was thinking about it. But you can do it as a police training mode or something like that, this way you can try to keep it serious

I've always found paintball modes in FPS games to be quite silly and unsatisfying. It's difficult to link the concept of being hit by a bit of paint to any compelling narrative consequences. It's also something that could very easily just be incorporated to the Olympics in a non-video game form. I think for e-sports to get a real foothold in the Olympics they need to be able to offer something that a real-life version of the same game couldn't (at least safely).

I think this is the stupidest shit ever.  I'm all for video games and esports (not a fan myself but pls enjoy and hopefully esports will make profits not just revenues and excessive costs and I hope participants can have long, fulfilling careers and all that) but i have no desire to watch a fucking esport in the olympics (or ever, btw).

1 hour ago, Pampers said:

I'm having problems understanding who is pushing for this?

People organizing Paris games wanting to get a reasonably not too bankruptcy causing olympic games :P they want to find where is the money in a way.