[HP]

EA just killed Visceral

https://kotaku.com/an-updated-list-of-studios-ea-has-bought-and-then-shut-1689498614

Maxis (SimCity) - Purchased by EA in 1997; shut down in 2015. [Though EA says the "Maxis" brand will live on—and the studio currently behind The Sims continues to use the label—the Emeryville-based development house that served as the main descendant of what Will Wright created back in 1987 is officially no more.]

Mythic (Dark Age of Camelot) - Purchased by EA in 2006; shut down in 2014.

Bullfrog (Syndicate, Dungeon Keeper) - Purchased by EA in 1995; shut down in 2001.

Origin (Ultima, Wing Commander) - Purchased by EA in 1992; shut down in 2004.

Westwood (Command & Conquer) - Purchased by EA in 1998; shut down in 2003.

DreamWorks Interactive/Danger Close/EA Los Angeles (Medal of Honor) - Purchased by EA in 2000; shut down in 2013.

Phenomic (SpellForce, BattleForge) - Purchased by EA in 2006; shut down in 2013.

Black Box Games (Need for Speed, Skate) - Purchased by EA in 2002; shut down in 2013.

Pandemic (The Saboteur) - Purchased by EA in 2008; shut down in 2009.

PlayFish (The Sims Social) - Purchased by EA in 2009; shut down in 2013.

NuFX (NBA Street) - Purchased by EA in 2004; shut down in 2007.

Some really big names in there and it's a really sad list.

I've never understood why Maxis was closed though. The Sims has always sold amazingly well so it's not like they weren't making any money for EA. I guess they had a studio who would develop future titles cheaper than the guys who worked at Maxis?

That must feel infuriating for those who've been laid off. Close a studio and just when the dust settles you buy a studio?
Also thought EA wasn't that happy with Titanfall's performance.

If I had a studio I'm not sure if I'd wanted to be bought off, especially by EA, especially after the recent news. Of course things must be in talks for a while but still. Guess sometimes is the only way forward and with lots of experience you get less attached: you have the talent you can always create another studio.

More on that topic discussed by YongYea. It's all about money and particularly which titles can potentially deliver the most money. It sucks for the involved developers because most of them genuinely care about the games.