Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Skacky

Map Jam 9 for Quake

5 posts in this topic

Hey MapCore! Map Jam 9 for Quake was released a couple of days ago. It was a month-long mapping event held by grumpy old farts on func_msgboard as a tribute to Contract Revoked for its 15th anniversary, which is a classic and game-changing episode by Kell released back in 2002.

This jam features a whopping 15 maps; some small, some absolutely enormous, some made by beginners, some made by veterans, all using to some degree the incredible texture set Kell made for his unique, Lovecraft-heavy vision of Quake, and all made for the excellent mod Quoth that was co-authored by Kell as well (with necros and Preach). And if this wasn't enough, Kell himself came out of retirement to grace us with his mapping prowess specifically for this event, with a very one-of-a-kind map!

M3RSj4a.jpg

You can download the pack here. Any fan of Quake, first person shooters and level design in general owe it to themselves to check this out.

Edited by Skacky
Minos, Evert, Sprony and 3 others like this

Good to see you post this here @Skacky. I've been a bit busy but I can't wait to try this. Also, I didn't know Kell made a comeback for this. It has been years since I last spoke to him. He used to hang out on the now defunct Map-center. Please say Hi if you get a chance, but he's probably forgotten all about me (used to go by the nick Infernis back then).

Well, I have quake installed… I imagine I probably need to install something on top to make it work?

You just need a modern port such as Quakespasm 0.92.1 or FitzQuake Mark V, as well as this version of Quoth 2.2. All you need to do then is follow the instructions in the readme file that's found in the Jam 9 archive, though the -heapsize 65536 command was introduced by error and should be ignored.

I missed this and I was looking for new Quake maps just yesterday... Downloading right now.