grapen

de_berth

9 hours ago, Franco said:

Hi everyone I recorded a YouTube video about the map and some of the problems I think it faces right now and how to improve them. I feel my criticisms are valid but my word isn't gospel. Hopefully I didn't ramble on for too long :)

Thanks for the vid! I thought it was great. You bring up some good points that others have as well, so I'll be rectifying those for sure. The next version will be quite different from the current workshop version, so be sure to check back again near the contest deadline. :) 

This map was one of my absolutely favorites in the gameplay category during testing. I really enjoyed all the wild and whacky elevation changes, sniper angles, playing jump-scout from CT spawn, a lot of memorable engagements and fun experiences to be had. In terms of criticism, if you want to do a level this fun and experimental with the angles, IMO you have to communicate what angles to look at and what angles to avoid, where threats are lurking, etc. In the last image above this post, for example, players have the ability to look down into the gutter area for information, but players in the gutter will rarely notice that. I felt that there were many situations on this map where it was possible to die without completely understanding how, and if you'd like me to go through and take comprehensive photos of that I will.

On the art side, the only thing I really struggle with on this map is a sense of inconsistent grime. Some areas of the map feel more dirty and industrial, others feel artificially clean and empty. It seems like it would be smart to decide on an overall, consistent level of dirt that the level should have, part of that will be in deciding what kind of theme you're actually going for. I had a lot of fun playing this map.

So people over at faceit seem to like the map. I think it’s in a pretty bad spot visually though, and I don’t have the time to do anything about it. If any level artist is looking for a new project to work on, I’ll hand over all the files so you can do your own thing with it. I only ask to be credited for the original design. Let me know in PM if you feel up to the task.