Sign in to follow this  
Tisky

Chester bennington, dead.

1 hour ago, blackdog said:

Personnally I said that because, as successful as my studies can be, I still majorly feel depressed. I have all I need, and I'm destined to a life of relative success. My parents take care entirely of me during my studies, I attended the second school in France and I'll go into the 9th university in the Shanghai rankings. I'm very lucky to be where I am. However that did put me in a position where I can look at parts of the world for what they are. Being that lucky also gave me time to reflect and to find pain in seeing all the wrong humanity is doing to itself ans its environment.

It's overwhelming, and I know a few in my exact solution who took their life. I don't know if that gives you an idea. In my analogy, the mutation is just a beginning of change, and change is eliminated by society, even though society itself isn't in the most perfect shape it could.

Of course, being successful is something less to worry about, and I do not say it separates people etc. The example I gave with my own life is there to explain that being successful can give a different point of view on life which can be as depressing. (I didn't meant to brag or anything either as success is bound by one's happiness more than by something objective).

To me this shows that the tabu related to suicide is a wrong thing. Because the sole idea of wanting to do it isolate you from the rest of society, and sometimes denies you the help you need, since you don't necessarily feel like you're entitled to get some help. Indeed, when he had every help he could want, he hasn't got the one he needed. My theory being that it was because he didn't think he could get it, or that it even existed.

On that last point, having seen people go through that, there is an irrationality that arose at the moment of the suicide, no matter what rational argument was thrown at the person, the mind was irationnaly set on this idea.

Sorry for being not supportive on this but I don't get this. Yes stars go through a lot of pressure and are under the microscope for every action (their life is invaded constantly and that's why I've always said paparazzi can't be protected by the same laws that protect a journalist, they are not journalists)... but I don't accept people like Cornell or Chester killing themselves. They have millions in their banks and unlike us they can not show up at work if they don't feel like. They have all the tools to tackle their problems early so I'm not up to mourn their deaths.

Sorry but you have no clue about what you're talking about, and the way you say that is proving what i've said before, you relate happiness with money and sucess, and that's probably because you don't have it. But you can't fight depression with money, on it's own money is useless, it's just a tool you use to get the things you want, but when you're depressed, you want nothing.

Showing up at work or not doesn't change a thing, or just make it worse, it's their passion and most of the time their whole life, it has nothing related to your usual 5/7 a week 8 hours job.

Edited by RaVaGe

1 hour ago, RaVaGe said:

Sorry but you have no clue about what you're talking about, and the way you say that is proving what i've said before, you relate happiness with money and sucess, and that's probably because you don't have it. But you can't fight depression with money, on it's own money is useless, it's just a tool you use to get the things you want, but when you're depressed, you want nothing.

Showing up at work or not doesn't change a thing, or just make it worse, it's their passion and most of the time their whole life, it has nothing related to your usual 5/7 a week 8 hours job.

Sorry, i imagine that you personally know many stars in depression?

I know that people are depressed because their job is shit. Because they don't have a job at all.

I know that if you are an artist and struggling to create what you love, you get depressed.

The thing is if an artist of this caliber is facing problems, he's not fighting for survival when he's trying to write a song, he/she can take some time off to feed their creativity... while the blu collar with children and a pregnant wife sweating his ass in a foundry, is literally fighting for his life (dangerous job) and his family (putting food on the table).

Their passion is their job so don't give me the "this has nothing to do with their job" because has a very lot to do.

How many athletes are committing suicide after getting injured and not being able to do what they love anymore? Shouldnt a race driver kill himself would he become handicapped? Read about the amazing stuff that Alex Zanardi has done after losing his legs.

Sorry for being stereotypical, but I believe a lot has to do with the kind of life style these people choose to live.

Maybe if this people were less self-centered they would realise that they could do a lot and different things, to improve other people lives, leading to also improve theirs.

@laminutederire im finding what you are writing worrying, you are either not depressed but leading yourself into it, or depressed and should do something about it.

Regarding your example from before, it is wrong because depression is not leading to evolution so of course -if you look at the natural world- living beings would isolate those. Like cancer you don't want it to spread.

Also I find the "educated" argument a bit offensive. I don't have a degree and worked a low level job for the last four years, still I'm aware of the big problems of the world, it is offensive to suggest that successful people are killing themselves "because they see the bad of the world". What are all the activists and volunteers of so many charities on so many levels doing then? I actually dropped out of my studies and found repulsion in Web design/development because I was feeling I was becoming an instrument of consumism, that I would just end up promoting useless stuff that ruins the beautiful world, build tools like Facebook that are becoming time sinkers for most people. I was feeling quite depressed, if I had to self-analyse. I packed my bag and did something else.

Edited by blackdog

40 minutes ago, blackdog said:

I know that people are depressed because their job is shit. Because they don't have a job at all.

I know that if you are an artist and struggling to create what you love, you get depressed.

The thing is if an artist of this caliber is facing problems, he's not fighting for survival when he's trying to write a song, he/she can take some time off to feed their creativity... while the blu collar with children and a pregnant wife sweating his ass in a foundry, is literally fighting for his life (dangerous job) and his family (putting food on the table).

Their passion is their job so don't give me the "this has nothing to do with their job" because has a very lot to do.

How many athletes are committing suicide after getting injured and not being able to do what they love anymore? Shouldnt a race driver kill himself would he become handicapped? Read about the amazing stuff that Alex Zanardi has done after losing his legs.

Sorry for being stereotypical, but I believe a lot has to do with the kind of life style these people choose to live.

Maybe if this people were less self-centered they would realise that they could do a lot and different things, to improve other people lives, leading to also improve theirs.

@laminutederire im finding what you are writing worrying, you are either not depressed but leading yourself into it, or depressed and should do something about it.

Regarding your example from before, it is wrong because depression is not leading to evolution so of course -if you look at the natural world- living beings would isolate those. Like cancer you don't want it to spread.

Also I find the "educated" argument a bit offensive. I don't have a degree and worked a low level job for the last four years, still I'm aware of the big problems of the world, it is offensive to suggest that successful people are killing themselves "because they see the bad of the world". What are all the activists and volunteers of so many charities on so many levels doing then? I actually dropped out of my studies and found repulsion in Web design/development because I was feeling I was becoming an instrument of consumism, that I would just end up promoting useless stuff that ruins the beautiful world, build tools like Facebook that are becoming time sinkers for most people. I was feeling quite depressed, if I had to self-analyse. I packed my bag and did something else.

What's your point ? It has nothing to do with other people living shitty lives, I was just saying that being famous and successfull doesn't mean you can't get in a severe depression and commit suicide. Like what, you have money so you can't be unhappy ahah wtf.

Chester Bennington was pretty open about his depression that was caused by sexual abuse when he was a kid and his attempts to get over it with drugs that only lead to more problems. I find it hard to believe that you were going through the same kind of experience when you didnt like your job in web development anymore. I think you dont understand what depression means at all.

It wasn't meant to be offensive. I took my own case that society finds successful, to illustrate that it doesn't necessarily make me happy. I anything I know I'm less able to do anything in real life because of my theoretical studies, so no, I'm not being arrogant, and I repeat, I  said I have success only in the eyes of society. I never said either that other people don't suffer as well. It's just that when you don't have the resources to get better you can always blame the society for it and stay alive and fight it. However when you get to a place where you have all the resources but the pain is still there, you feel even more helpless since you have nothing to blame for not being able to overcome the pain.

There are quite a few forms of depression. The most common, one of which we all have experienced, features temporary states of low self esteem, sadness and emptiness. Most people get over that one with relative ease. Then there are the more serious kind, which can last for very long periods of time and are harder to manage. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_depressive_disorder and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysthymia

It's very tempting to pass judgement on someone who kills themselves, because they leave behind pain for their families, fans, etc.

However remember that for at least some people, as @Radu points out, there is a chemical, biological basis for depression inside the brain. This is why it's important that people talk to a professional about mental health if it's something that they struggle with, why they shouldn't be judged, and why suicide is especially tragic. I feel sorry for the man and his family, but as tempting as it is to resent his decision, it's not the right approach.

5 hours ago, RaVaGe said:

What's your point ? It has nothing to do with other people living shitty lives, I was just saying that being famous and successfull doesn't mean you can't get in a severe depression and commit suicide. Like what, you have money so you can't be unhappy ahah wtf.

I'm not saying that if you're famous you can't get depressed or you will always be happy :-| I'm saying that they have all the tools at their disposal to get out of their state so is quite annoying to see them giving up.

5 hours ago, FrieChamp said:

Chester Bennington was pretty open about his depression that was caused by sexual abuse when he was a kid and his attempts to get over it with drugs that only lead to more problems. I find it hard to believe that you were going through the same kind of experience when you didnt like your job in web development anymore. I think you dont understand what depression means at all.

I haven't compared whatever I felt to what Chester was feeling, i don't know how you are jumping to such conclusion. I was replying to @laminutederire and discussion was on a while other level of abstraction.

I'm not saying that if you're famous you can't get depressed or you will always be happy :-| I'm saying that they have all the tools at their disposal to get out of their state so is quite annoying to see them giving up.

No they don't, it's a mental disease, and you can't fix that with money, and yes like everyone else who commits suicide, it's sad they're giving up.

We can talk about it all we want, but i´ve been there. It is the heavy pressure on your chest, the anxiety, and all the stress of feeling trapped in a situation in life that you have no idea how to untangle that gets you there. After one year of feeling like my life is falling like a house of cards i began to think about it, because i could not take waking up like that every single day. I tried talking to professionals and when that did not help you kind of feel like "this is how it's gonna be from now on". You fail to see the world around you, because you are so busy with this fucking anxiety and stress from that. I never thought i would get to that point, my father commited suicide and i used to think that he was a fucking coward and a selfish bastard. Really. I was more angry than sad. 

Now on the other hand, i know how he must have felt, and i understand him even though i don't think he took the right way out i understand what drove him over the edge. He never told anyone about how he felt, i guess he was too proud. I only told my brother when i felt like shit, i guess men are proud? Stupid and proud. Anyhow, it is a disease as RaVaGe said. I luckily got past the point so i never took that step, because i found some light and got the anxiety to go away. But when you are in that bubble, it is like a viscious circle. You need help. So if anyone gets to that point, remember that there is always sunshine after the rain, even tho the rain might last for a long time. Just find the sun. Much love to you all.

Edited by Tisky

On 7/23/2017 at 11:16 AM, blackdog said:

It's easy to think that just because one has a good financial condition he is somehow superior or inferior than others. Depression is a illness of the mind & soul and it doesn't have anything to do with material possessions, it can strike a white rich guy just as hard it can a blue collar mom. 

Anyways, this is really sad news. I also had my Linkin Park phase when I was 15 or something, when I spent most of my nights locked in my bedroom working on Half-Life maps. I find it really hard to listen to them these days though... makes me depressed as fuck now that I can understand the lyrics.

RIP Chester and thanks for your art!

I suffer from manic depression. I can confirm that it all doesn't mean dick when you are down. My wife and daughter can tell me that they love me. I can watch a good movie or enjoy a game. I can have a great night out with friends, have an article on the frontpage of Reddit or do a interview with a big developer. In the end I still feel like a worthless unaccomplished piece of shit.

I know that's my mind fucking with me. But if depression is one thing above anything else, it's exhausting. I can't blame people choosing to end their own life. I don't think it's a solution nor is it fair to those you leave behind with your pain, but people get tired feeling this way. I think it's even worse if you are successful because then you feel even more guilty about being down.

I never feel like giving up though but that's due to me growing up in the 80's and having a spartan upbringing. My father doesn't know the words 'giving up'. When I was young a older boy beat me up. I came home crying, told my dad what happened and he said "Losers quit, winners find a way". He sent me back outside and warned me not to return until I resolved this otherwise he would do the beating. So I returned to the older boy with a stick and fucked him up.

That's why every time I get really really down, I remember that lesson and I think about great movies from the 80's like Rocky and tell my depression.....

bIA57vz.gif