Daniel Nilsson

Good way of doing a top down orthographic map in GTK?

4 posts in this topic

Hi it's been a while since I visited this forums last and also a bit rusty when it comes to GTK Radiant as well. Wanted to touch up some things on Quake 3 level as well as making a good top down view map of it for my portfolio. Is there a good way to get a textured orthographic top down view in editor? Can't find any view or setting for it. If not, any other good tips on how to make a good top down view map for presentation reasons?

Thanks in advance! Will probably return more to the forums, may have been re-bitten by the mapping bug!

/Daniel

I can't think of any way in Radiant or Quake 3 itself, but you could convert your map to .ase and load it into a 3D program of your choice. If you can't get .ase open, try the Online 3D converter and convert it to .obj or .fbx

You can use the q3map2.exe to convert your .bsp to .ase. To do so, creat a .bat file and paste the following text into it:

"[path to q3map2.exe]\q3map2.exe" -convert -format ase "[path to your Quake 3 map]\yourmap.bsp"

Run to .bat to start the process. If you have used patch meshes in your map, you have to compile with -patchmeta in the BSP phase, otherwise the patches will be missing from the converted mesh. The resulting mesh does work and is accurate, but the topology is probably messy due to the magic that happens in the BSP phase.

Thanks for the tip. Will look into that. Will first see if it's maybe possible to noclip out of level and set the fov to lowest and look down and render a screenshot. Might get an ok result. Will just need to build versions of the map without ceilings and for different floors.

Tried your way and loaded it into blender. Also tried my way with noclip and lower FOV. Ultimaly I've decieded just to screencap from radiant and draw up shapes in PS ;) Will probably be the quickest way for me to fix this.