grapen

de_scepter

Just now, FMPONE said:

A bit of a derail of this thread, but it's not even clear that the Workshop needs a downvote feature. Who gathers the most up votes would be sufficient.

I suppose the bots would win either way :D but banning users who link to phishing sites should definitely be a thing. :lol:

1 hour ago, FMPONE said:

A bit of a derail of this thread, but it's not even clear that the Workshop needs a downvote feature. Who gathers the most up votes would be sufficient.

Yea, my apologies - and I totally agree, there doesn't even need to be a downvote button.

The real issue is that de_scepter is a very impressive map, and definitely deserves the exposure it would get being on the front page. Hopefully it can make it's way back to the top if it gets enough positive ratings.

I understand you're skeptical and afraid it would be a failure because you released a big project and it's scary.

But dude ... It's a great map. It looks really great, neat. The level design is refreshing, i haven't played on it but player's navigation is just perfect and fits the theme really well. I like what you did with some indoors that isn't shown in the screenshots, "simple" but efficient.

It seems hard to believe it's your first Source map with your first props and textures, in any case it's really clean.Neat !

The good news this morning is that the map has stabilized on the front page of the workshop, thanks everyone who made that happen!

The bad news is that I've had reports from two different people that a specific material is causing issues. Here's a screenshot from one of the guys:

EE0F88559BE0230C7577BAC5D42295B0DF74EEE6

And here's the material:

LightmappedGeneric
{
    $basetexture de_scepter\scep_windowglass01b
    $surfaceprop glass
    $selfillum 1
    $basealphaenvmapmask 1
}

I'm not able to reproduce the issue with any of the settings, and the selfillum is working fine with the diffuse alpha. Has anyone seen this before?

1 hour ago, grapen said:

The good news this morning is that the map has stabilized on the front page of the workshop, thanks everyone who made that happen!

juStJS5.png

Easy Re-Takes, well done!

1 hour ago, grapen said:

And here's the material:

LightmappedGeneric
{
    $surfaceprop glass
    $selfillum 1
    $basealphaenvmapmask 1
}

I'm not able to reproduce the issue with any of the settings, and the selfillum is working fine with the diffuse alpha. Has anyone seen this before?

I'm assuming you have quotes on this line:

It may not matter but doesn't hurt to be safe!

1 minute ago, dimes2dope said:

I'm assuming you have quotes on this line:

It may not matter but doesn't hurt to be safe!

I made a habit of not doing quotes unless VTFEdit were being cranky about. Won't hurt to check if that could be it. Thanks!

Edited by grapen

1 hour ago, grapen said:

I made a habit of not doing quotes unless VTFEdit were being cranky about. Won't hurt to check if that could be it. Thanks!

Yea, may not matter.

FYI

I cant Reproduce it either:

(static props hidden)

s9j70M4.jpg

No issues on my end with the texture.

Did you get any other details from the guys - Graphics settings? GPU? etc.

I tried on Low and High Settings, no effect, different ansiotropic - did nothing

Currently Running 2 GTX 580s - probably with slightly out dated drivers

No issues for me.

The screenshot u showed kind of looks like it can see the skybox like with r_drawworld 0

Here's with props but no world:

q9uMxWh.jpg

EDIT:

also, maybe im wrong but why are you using  $basealphaenvmapmask 1

You don't have an $envmap set for the material - so there are no reflections for the Envmapmask:

IYmiIKR.png

Edited by dimes2dope

2 minutes ago, dimes2dope said:

also, maybe im wrong but why are you using  $basealphaenvmapmask 1

You don't have an $envmap set for the material - so there are no reflections for the Envmapmask:

Yeah the $basealphaenvmapmask 1 is just there so that the $selfillum won't affect the metal :)

Must have forgotten to add an envmap though!

Edited by grapen

1 hour ago, grapen said:

Yeah the $basealphaenvmapmask 1 is just there so that the $selfillum won't affect the metal :)

Selfillum Should do that by Default, does it not? - it uses the alpha Channel of the base texture to see how bright each pixel should be

So the metal would not be bright, because the alpha channel makes it not bright.

NMcn9xv.png

Thats the whole point of using Selfillum over UnlitGeneric I thought, (among other things I guess)

Does it not work without what you put?

WBtdHaN.png

Here's how it looks with and without a separate mask, because in the first one it uses the base textures alpha channel.

Edit: hope you saw this @grapen Selfillum should do by default, what you were trying to do with $basealphaenvmapmask 1 so that may be what caused the problem.

Edited by dimes2dope

Truly beautiful map with unique visuals, despite somewhat familiar theme. Outstanding work on custom textures and models. Great balance between aesthetics and visibility. Nice angles, movement and clip-brush work. Definitely an operation material!

Voting manipulation is seriously triggering me, something needs to be done about that. Removing down-voting would be a good counter I think.

Great job Grapen I love it! Finally you released it, I waited so long ;)

Besides the 20 pages long list of the things I love, there are a few minor things I noticed while walking arround: 

The breakable glass window is really hard to see. I jumped trough the window and bumped my head there. From T spawn walking to B, the brown room feels a litle too dark. When a CT pushed it was hard to see him. Also pushing further to B where the paths split to the bombsite and those sniper windows, that area feels a litle too dark. It was abit hard to see the CT's there. Just some minor things u could consider for a futuring update