JorisCeoen

How to build CUBEMAPS for CS:GO in 2017 [HELP]

I'm in a desperate need of someone able to properly tell me, the exact process, word for word, on how to build cubemaps for CS:GO. I tried everything, to deleting the 'Texture' files before building them (which always messes up the BSP with Pakrat), to building them after packing, but that doesn't work because almost 95% will not show the actual cubemaps... what do we do first, packing or building cubemaps? Please, someone take me out of my misery.

The best result I could find so far is the rebuild the cubemaps after I already built them first before packing. After I packed all my stuff, the default cubemaps (from Vertigo I think) returned. So I can rebuild again, but what it does it rebuils the cubemaps WITH the vertigo reflections. I don't want that, I don't want gibberish programming-bug visuals in my map. And, mat_specular dissappeared forever now apparantly...

Edited by JorisCeoen
Added some spicy details from my problem

2 hours ago, Vaya said:

launch the game with -insecure

type buildcubemaps in console.

fuckn done :)

That's not the problem. I am in insecure mode, all of the above that I said in my thread was done in insecure mode. The issue is not that I can't build cubemaps, I definitly can. The problem is that I don't know the exact order of what to do first (as in, packing first, or building cubemaps first etc). The only way I could properly keep cubemaps in my map without having default ones from Vertigo is by first building cubemaps, then packing, then REBUILDING cubemaps, but what it does is it builds the cubemaps with the reflections of vertigo in them. In other words I'm building cubemaps of textures that already have cubemaps on them. You cannot disable specular reflections in CS:GO which is part of the problem (because if I could, this wouldn't be a problem).

So I'm looking for either 2 things: Someone who can tell me how to disable specular reflections in CS:GO (mat_specular doesn't exist anymore), or someone who can tell me how I can avoid having to build cubemaps before packing for it to work. :(

10 hours ago, JorisCeoen said:

what do we do first, packing or building cubemaps? Please, someone take me out of my misery.

Send a support ticket to Valve and you should get the answer and solution within minutes.

Well, it should be simple, straightforward process.

You compile the map, build cubemaps (after each compile), then pack custom assets/radar/kv... and save bsp. That's it :)

Manual deletion of texture files inside the bsp then building cubemaps with specular off was a workaround for steampipe tiles (CSS, HL2DM, DODS...); CSGO never needed this.

26 minutes ago, Vaya said:

Pakrat is some 90s bullshit.

How dare you, sir :v

Pakrat works perfectly fine; I still use it without a problem.

4 minutes ago, will2k said:

How dare you, sir :v

time to join the future dude. you won't look back.

Without a problem=/= the best way to do stuff :D

4 minutes ago, will2k said:

... lol

I have to try it 2 or 3 times before making it work, it crashes all the time if you have too much custom content to pack.
Go for VIDE ;) http://www.tophattwaffle.com/packing-custom-content-using-vide-in-steampipe/

@JorisCeoen

When you use the buildcubemaps command, it does automatically hide/display some stuff. For example, it adds a glow sprite at the position of every light/light_spot entities, it doesn't show the players in the reflection (in case you forgot to kick bots ^^)... I'm pretty sure it disable existing reflections.

After it takes the pictures, it automatically adds all the computed cubemaps inside the BSP and when it reloads the map automaticaly your cubemaps should be there (on CSGO, they forced the game to reload the new BSP and not use the one stored in memory).

Your solution for adding custom content inside your BSP probably delete/destroy something about your cubemaps stored inside the BSP. As others said, you're not supposed to to anything about them, they should still be in the new BSP after adding custom content files. Try VIDE :)