Viiconov

[WIP] de_tension (previously 'de_hail')

Visually inspired by 1.6's cs_thunderthis map is set in a snowy mountain base.

20170704091345_1.thumb.jpg.3d9fba95f6174fc249a2b121ae2a3abe.jpg

Above, you can see the middle of de_hail. I'm still working on the layout of the map, but I consider this area to be done. Now I'll move on to one of the bombsites. (I'll post more screenshots when that area is finished.)

Edited by Viiconov

Interesting design choice! You've pulled it off well as I assumed it was a picture from 1.6 that you were using to illustrate cs_thunder. I have to ask though, did you make this choice because you feel there's a place for a 1.6 thematic in CS:GO, or because you don't feel confident using the comparatively modern CS:GO engine? Either's fine, but if it's the latter, you may want to consider that this sort of competition could provide the perfect impetus to catch up with the curve.

With regards to gameplay, my only concern with the screen above is that if the balcony area at the back is accessible, players are going to get very annoyed shooting through those trusses.

Welcome to the competition and good luck!

On 4-7-2017 at 9:50 AM, text_fish said:

Interesting design choice! You've pulled it off well as I assumed it was a picture from 1.6 that you were using to illustrate cs_thunder. I have to ask though, did you make this choice because you feel there's a place for a 1.6 thematic in CS:GO, or because you don't feel confident using the comparatively modern CS:GO engine? Either's fine, but if it's the latter, you may want to consider that this sort of competition could provide the perfect impetus to catch up with the curve.

With regards to gameplay, my only concern with the screen above is that if the balcony area at the back is accessible, players are going to get very annoyed shooting through those trusses.

Welcome to the competition and good luck!

It's kind of both. If I tried to make such a theme with "proper" CS:GO graphics, I would need a lot of custom props and textures, so this is much easier to do. But I'm not just doing it like this out of laziness, I'm just much more comfortable with this, and I think that it looks much cooler than anything I could make with CS:GO graphics. Thanks for your reply :)

(That balcony is not accesible, by the way.)

Edited by Viiconov

Here is a screenshot of the first bombsite:

20170707124340_1.thumb.jpg.0114acf61980f072e7a82cfb0df678f0.jpg

I will probably change a few things about it later, but for now I will shift my focus to the second bombsite.

Edited by Viiconov

This is what the second bombsite looks like now:

20170710060432_1.thumb.jpg.8d93abc72b55dcdfe36220fbf69bfa4e.jpg

This room is inspired by cs_thunder's hostage room. The major difference between that room and this bombsite is the scale: my bombsite is much smaller, and not as high as cs_thunder's hostage room. What's left for me to do now is connect this bombsite with the rest of the map, which includes making the spawn locations.

It's difficult to tell without a player model for reference, but your scales look a bit funny, and not just in a 1.6 way. If that tiny little door at the back is big enough for a player to walk through, everything else is going to feel giant. Either way, it's giving me nostalgic feels, so good work!