Sign in to follow this  
FMPONE

Chess

13 hours ago, FMPONE said:

this has been the only thing keeping me sane in the last few weeks. thank god for chess!

No worries, just get it off your 'chess' (I'll see myself out)

I haven't played chess for over 20-25 yrs. I still have my chess wood board from when I was a kid in the late 80s; I'm keeping it for nostalgia sake even though I haven't used it in a long while. 

Seeing this thread, interest in playing chess is slowly kicking back.

I've been playing a lot of 5-0 blitz. It's great since games can't really go over 10 mins. Basically each player has a bank of 5 mins and it drains during your turn. You lose if your bank runs out of time before someone gets checkmate.

Kind of like action chess :D

15 hours ago, AlexM said:

Still playing much? My studio shuts down next week for the holidays so I'm planning to get more games in

I’ve started playing a lot more Go (on a 9x9 board). I think I just got frustrated with the amount of memorization in chess. Go is cool because memorization isn’t really a factor. 

I also find Go a lot more aesthetically satisfying than chess. When losing the game still has a lot of beauty, whereas losing in chess just became sour after a while. 

That said, I couldn’t fathom playing Go on a full 19x19 board yet. It’s got to be much more difficult than chess in that setting, my brain grinds to a halt just looking at it... 

Oh boy when I lived in Japan I had a go phase. We had a traditional go room in our building and one of my foreigner co workers had previously ran the go club at waterloo so he talked is all into playing.

To this day I have NEVER beaten the computer..

How are you paying go on computer? I tend to play using gridmaster

1 hour ago, AlexM said:

Oh boy when I lived in Japan I had a go phase. We had a traditional go room in our building and one of my foreigner co workers had previously ran the go club at waterloo so he talked is all into playing.

To this day I have NEVER beaten the computer..

How are you paying go on computer? I tend to play using gridmaster

I'm only playing it on my phone right now. I don't think it's very popular in the west but maybe totally wrong about that? I just knew there had to be something better than chess but in that same vein.

A dedicated go room sounds fun as hell but I wouldn't even attempt to play on anything but 9x9 because it's too much IMO. I would never beat the computer on a full board, either. I feel like 9x9 Go is something more people would love if they tried it.

19 minutes ago, FMPONE said:

I'm only playing it on my phone right now. I don't think it's very popular in the west but maybe totally wrong about that? I just knew there had to be something better than chess but in that same vein.

A dedicated go room sounds fun as hell but I wouldn't even attempt to play on anything but 9x9 because it's too much IMO. I would never beat the computer on a full board, either. I feel like 9x9 Go is something more people would love if they tried it.

It's very popular in programming/computer science circles in my experience. As for the go room, it was fun, but the person who ran the go club was absolutely relentless, even the first time I played. Just destroyed me every time :D

Also piece of trivia you may already know. Atari chose it's name after the Atari pattern in go (which in Japanese roughly means "success").

19 minutes ago, AlexM said:

It's very popular in programming/computer science circles in my experience. As for the go room, it was fun, but the person who ran the go club was absolutely relentless, even the first time I played. Just destroyed me every time :D

Also piece of trivia you may already know. Atari chose it's name after the Atari pattern in go (which in Japanese roughly means "success").

The app on my phone has a big ATARI!! arrow that pops up. it's pretty funny to shout randomly. I'd love to play some gangster Go players in 9x9. at least I could tell when I was getting my ass handed to me.

Just now, AlexM said:

Heh well if you get to a point where you want to play other humans let me know. I'm pretty certain I might actually be the worst go player on the planet though.

i'm down for a chess game on lichess if you're on

1 minute ago, FMPONE said:

i'm down for a chess game on lichess if you're on

Working today but after today I'm on holiday and I'm down

EDIT : I'll take this match but it's going to be about one move every hour today :D

Edited by AlexM