Sign in to follow this  
D3ads

Metro: Exodus

Epic must have given them a bag full of Fortnite dollars to make it an exclusive.

Lot of angry people in that Steam thread and I can see their point. It is annoying being forced to have multiple stores and clients installed on your PC. I think I have them all except for UPlay.

But competition is good so maybe this might make Valve reconsider their practices - Then again exclusivity does suck.

I’m all for healthy competition as long as the platform(s) can deliver on QoL features that are important to me, such as cloud saves and automagic usb controller input support. Steam is very refined in that regard. I’m not sure I understand what the supposed price reduction was about? Is that a US exclusive? Because it’s still €60 in Europe, so why put that in the PR. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by grapen

2 hours ago, dux said:

Don't see why they didn't just do what we did and have it on both platforms.

Well like @Beck says, there must be a healthy arrangement for the devs to make it an exclusive, but also if they didn’t make it exclusive then the gains of having it on the Epic Store would be marginal, as for the same price, people would buy on Steam to avoid installing other platforms.

i imagine this is a good arrangement In the sense it’s a pretty cost-less move for them: the loss from people that don’t want the Epic store should be offset by the additional money coming in on there.

What I wonder is if the pre-orders on Steam were a malicious move, in the sense they advertised (for free) on Steam knowing they were going to make it an exclusive (I struggle to believe Epic didn’t talk to devs before embarking on this project and just decided to develop and drop it out of the blue).

At the end of the day I feel there’s lots of noise and angry ness for nothing: (temporary!) exclusives have been a thing for a long time in the console market. Also there are already other established platforms so what’s the big deal. People that preordered still will get it, and people can otherwise wait one year.

Even if a bit dodgy in some ways, I like Epic aggressiveness on this, for the first time feels like someone can challenge Valve, which should lead to better conditions for all devs and customers (Steam is such a ugly piece of software now).

3 minutes ago, grapen said:

I’m all for healthy competition as long as the platform(s) can deliver on QoL features that are important to me, such as cloud saves and automagic usb controller input support. Steam is very refined in that regard. I’m not sure I understand what the supposed price reduction was about? Is that a US exclusive? Because it’s still €60 in Europe, so why put that in the PR. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah the price reduction is only in US for some reason.

I didn't know there was a "making of" being produced, it just popped up on my stream, x2 episodes available

The exclusivity drama continues, and a dev has expressed his feelings about it: a future Metro could not come to PC if Exodus is boycotted.

Edited by blackdog

Not taking sides, since the Epic Store could be a positive thing long term in regards to Steam competition. However, at the moment, these exclusive deals are simply a shitty move. If Epic doesn't add the basic functions that Steam has, it will only keep gaining a negative image.

Also, this is probably the saddest thing I've seen today:

"The recent decision to move Metro Exodus from Steam to the Epic Game Store was made by Koch Media / Deep Silver alone.

The recent comments made by a member of the 4A Games development team do not reflect Deep Silver’s or 4A Games’ view on the future of the franchise. They do reflect the hurt and disappointment of a passionate individual who has seen what was previously nothing but positive goodwill towards his work turn to controversy due to a business decision he had no control over. We respectfully ask that any and all valid feedback over this decision is directed at Koch Media / Deep Silver, and not the developers at 4A Games.

The future release strategy of the Metro series lies with Koch Media / Deep Silver. Our decision to partner with Epic Games was based on the goal of investing in the future of the series and our development partner at 4A Games. We have every intention of continuing this franchise, and a PC version will always be at the heart of our plans."

source: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sqq1h9

Yeah when I saw that video I was thinking that guy is in trouble or gonna cause trouble, pretty much everyone misinterpreting or manipulating the translation into a “developer threatens franchise” narrative. I’m looking at you Jim Sterling 😠

I've been trying to find the original "developer threat" so that I can translate it myself, but I can't seem to find a link to the original post anywhere.

Edit: I can speak Russian so I can make a proper interpretation of what the post actually said if I can find it.

Edited by DMU222

@DMU222 have you checked if is linked in the description of YongYea’s video? I think he links sources but haven’t looked.

btw maybe final bit of drama, as the publisher has released a (Twitter!) statement assuming full responsibility for the decision and somewhat “protecting” the dev that wrote that post. I appreciate the gesture but surely trolls will be trolls. I hope for the devs the backlash stops.

there is though an argument on distribution, being Epic’s platform less feature rich, but I am not down with the incredible reaction it caused… maybe I’m alone on this because I don’t play games on release 99% of the time. But I think exclusives have been a thing for a long time, also on PC… people think of EA but Valve’s games are exclusive to Steam, they were the first to introduce this in the PC world!, at least this is just a timed exclusive. Backlash should eventually be addressed to Epic to push them include the missing feat, is absolutely ridiculous they don’t offer stuff like a wish list or sorting, I get there are only a few games on the platform but goddamn future-proof yourself man, you look like you are not serious about this, and we are taking in the specific of one extra DB table and ONE SQL query. Personally I’m still keen to try Epic store just for the modern UI, Steam looks like those 90s websites basically… gosh they’ll have to bump priority on that, I’ve had that pet-project in my drawer for too long. 

Edited by blackdog

telling everyone that the devs get a better cut on a different platform and then not passing on ANY of these savings to the consume that would need to adopt this platform sticks in my craw.