Sign in to follow this  
┌HP┘

E3 2017

1 hour ago, WD said:

4k has become such a buzzword in so many different contexts that I can barely even understand what they actually mean by that.

We know it's just pixel count, people look at it like cutting edge tech. It's like megapixels and cameras, we, again know it's just the pixel count on the photos it takes, people see it as taking better photos but in reality it's the quality of the sensor that really matter but it's almost impossible to attribute that to a buzzword, so... yeah.

I actually was hoping to see a bigger push for HDR, I was really impressed with some demos I've seen.

On one hand I appreciate the push for higher resolutions, it's been stagnant for years to the point where our tiny mobile phones screens have higher resolution than our 60" TVs. But current generation of console hardware isn't there yet, If a game is running 60fps and 4k res, they need to scale back on fidelity and other stuff. The car game they showed off duing the xbox presentation looked nice and crisp, but at the same time empty and flat

Surprised no one posted about this, literally what the actual fuck...

12 hours ago, WD said:

4k has become such a buzzword in so many different contexts that I can barely even understand what they actually mean by that.

The first rule of in-house engine, is not to talk about in-house engine...

Edited by D3ads

15 hours ago, [HP] said:

We know it's just pixel count, people look at it like cutting edge tech. It's like megapixels and cameras, we, again know it's just the pixel count on the photos it takes, people see it as taking better photos but in reality it's the quality of the sensor that really matter but it's almost impossible to attribute that to a buzzword, so... yeah.

I actually was hoping to see a bigger push for HDR, I was really impressed with some demos I've seen.

Most people won't upgrade a tv for hdr, rec 2020 is a long way off being widely accepted, many movies aren't even shooting with rec 2020 (or even 4k! they actually shoot a lot at 2.7k and upsample for a 4k master) unless you're talking about the simulated hdr stuff (OLED, lots of trickery in the signal etc). It's all a load of tosh if you ask me, since we stream at crappy bitrates and quality anyway. Maybe in 5-10 years 4k and rec 2020 will be a standard. Sure, games can output what ever they want, but it's a tall ask for people to buy a new TV or monitor for "10 bit color blah blah" when even resolution won't entice the majority, which is considerably easier to understand what you get. Substantial visual tech improvements are not going anywhere for a long time. 

Interestingly enough, most movies only shoot 4K and higher because they require a lot of VFX work (rotoscoping), and can adjust the frame in edit without losing quality, not because resolution is all that matters for the final output. Games obviously have the trouble of running real time, and the distance the average gamer sit from my monitors/tv never justifies more resolution at this point in time, we all know fps is more important. 

8 hours ago, 2d-chris said:

[ Cut]

All true. Although I would imagine there is some interest growing for 4k+HDR?

I mean I got a 1080p tv almost two years ago, after seeing the 4k+HDR demo in the shop, I was thinking I would upgrade.

I won't as like you say there's no really content, I would be happy enough with games supporting it tho :)

4K in games is missleading. Games have different buffers and content can have multiple different resolutions, such as textures having one resolution and shadows another. Plus, there is the dynamic resolution tech that adjusts resolution according to the load.

Edited by 0kelvin

On 6/22/2017 at 1:42 AM, blackdog said:

There's a proper gameplay video for Hunt

I like the first incarnation of this much better. Luckily we have Strange Brigade to fill that void now.