[WIP] De_Glace

NikiOo

Well it's still very rough state I take, so I wouldn't make it a crux. As long as you are aware and plan to revisit the choice, should be fine, although I'm not sure if it helps in testing as metal has quite a distinctive sound?

As a rule of thumb that metal is used for catwalks or narrow sections of floors, to cover a hollow area that hosts cabling/piping. You would want to alternate with grates to show such details as well. Being a non-slippery surface, it wouldn't go up to an edge.

But the danger trim you are using is incorrect, the way you are using it is meaningless, doesn't bring attention to anything. Those trims are to be used to highlight height differences (steps) or lower overheads. Eventually an area of maneuver for big machinery.

Edited by blackdog

• 1 month later...

20171008160703_1.jpg.35c3c430a44debc29230318c2c7c4ba1.jpg

This map has been going on for so long that I've completely lost the motivation to continue working on it. I'm pretty happy with how the layout is atm, but I am unable to finish the detailing of it. Some areas need to be redone, like the outside garage and CT spawn, which were pretty much rushed. There is also a ton of work to be done on the ship, but as I said, due to lack of motivation I wanted to get over with it as soon as possible and it turned out looking like shit. 

I might come back to it at later point but it won't be for this contest.

I realised there are so many other great maps in this contest and I wouldn't be able to compete with them at this pace, so I decided to pull out.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Apeyou said:

Your normal map is inverted on the right side of the model. Also, are you using any reference? That'll make it much easier to make a model seem realistic. But off to a good start!

I see it's inverted, doesn't look like it in photoshop though.

This is what the initial texture looked like:

gegesaaaa.png.2dd17468217a2750189d4150ec360fc9.png

Pretty boring, I used a free metal tex from textures.com and also the edge is pretty bad, I used this one cause I didn't know how to increase the thickness of the edge wear effect in Substance painter.

I'm learning Substance Designer now and I'll make my own textures.

I'm going to use more colder colors, fitting with the theme.

I'm redoing CT spawn right now along with some new textures I've been working on:

20171218233704_1.jpg.868e30b6f98d40eb89e49e9dfd68d92d.jpg

20171218233724_1.jpg.3ef31cda395105007deda0715d260f66.jpg

20171218233757_1.jpg.59e9888ab2cc4a3203cea915cc10e943.jpg

20171218233734_1.jpg.d2c0a9b5eec8a12722f07d1404512e56.jpg

I made a bunch of different grills and trims with different shades and I'll work out some more fitting combination. The floor tile also needs some work.

Now that I think about it I might model out the grills instead.

Edited by NikiOo

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, NikiOo said:

Here's another screenshot of CT spawn, while I'm working on improving the textures and some props:

20171219230220_1.jpg.1ff9b64e684527fa1bd3331702b2b0a8.jpg

Here's the grill model that's gonna replace the placeholder textures and a vent prop:

GrillScr3.png.9ab6a098ab4f9d9eb350d4d799584708.png

That’s a lot of tri’s for something that will go unnoticed, it’s not a good idea. If you want to make things pop with geo I’d rather model the floor tiles.

5 minutes ago, grapen said:

That’s a lot of tri’s for something that will go unnoticed, it’s not a good idea. If you want to make things pop with geo I’d rather model the floor tiles.

There's definitely not enough depth/detail in that screenshot so I'd say 'better model out everything rather than nothing' so we'll see if it's too much when everything is done. Thanks for the advice though.

I will model the floor tiles as well.

• 1 month later...

I like that you're persistent, but I think this theme is way over your current abilities. You've been at it for so long and I still can't see it nearing completion any time soon. I know it's a learning process and some projects take more time than others, though you should consider putting this one on the shelf for later. I recommend you build a map using some of the existing theme and assets from cs:go. 

2 hours ago, Radu said:

I like that you're persistent, but I think this theme is way over your current abilities. You've been at it for so long and I still can't see it nearing completion any time soon. I know it's a learning process and some projects take more time than others, though you should consider putting this one on the shelf for later. I recommend you build a map using some of the existing theme and assets from cs:go. 

This is basically a shelf project for me at the moment, I just decided to pick it up and rethink the color scheme of CT spawn with some fresh ideas after not working on this map for a while. I really want to finish this map, but like you said, it's beyond my current abilities. That's why I got all these low quality placeholder textures to try and set the theme. I've already realised what a challenge this map setting is. I'm trying to set the overall theme of the map with basic textures and geometry, without adding too much detail and, who knows, maybe when do it I might get motivated again to make some real props and textures if I like the way it looks.

By the way I'm working on 4 other maps at the moment, switching between when I get bored.

Thanks for the feedback, anyways. I will finish this map eventually. It's my most unique layout so far and I really want to get this project wrapped up.

• 2 weeks later...

Kudos for the effort, aiming high definitely isn't a bad thing. One thing you should look at, based on that last screenshot is the proportions of things: the doors, staircase, windows vs the smaller details like the floor pattern. I have a hard time imagining the size of a player in that space.