Andre Valera

Kaizen

This map is beautiful but I have to agree, what is up with the skybox? It's pretty much a flat grey with a bit blue and a gradient on the horizon. There isn't any moon or stars or clouds at all and it makes it look a bit unrealistic.

edit: I suppose there would be a lot of light pollution since its in the city and you wouldn't be able to see many stars anyway but there should still at least be some clouds or something.

Edited by Tokit

On 11/30/2017 at 9:14 AM, Harry Poster said:

Hello from de_royal? It's too obvious

youch :lol:

Thanks for spotting it, missed it during our clipping pass I suppose. Was pretty hectic those last couple days...

@Minos (and @Tokit, sorry can't tag you for some reason) agreed on the skybox. It's uncanny, especially with the hard shadows. Will need to work on this before final submission

Everyone enjoy your holiday breaks! 

I've uploaded an updated to the workshop addressing some of the bigger bugs (ignore odd lighting / shadows since this was a Fast compile) catching a flight in 4 hours to visit family, the update should make the FaceIt public playtest a bit smoother : )

Looking to update once again early Jan before the 10th

Cheers

This is a strong entry, it has a unique theme, some well-realized connections between different areas, and the cherry blossoms are a visual win.

So I haven't gotten as much of a chance to play this map as the others, however one thing I've heard from many people is that the map seemed to have a bit more of a unique identity and satisfying feel when it was a night map. Here's why I think that criticism makes sense: a lot of your assets are a bit "unfinished" in the detail-mapping (remember that detail maps can add a lot of visual interest to textures) and also the use of white space seems like a consistent trend in the textures of this level. In a night map, you're less likely to notice those in a prominent way, and in fact you almost appreciate the contrast to the dark sky. Overall, finer-detailing is an area where it seems like there is potential for improvement on this level.

Lastly, I think the bombsites could use some more well-defined plant-zone markers. It's difficult to tell sometimes where the bombsites begin and end. Overall, definitely a strong entry that I can see improving a lot more over time.

27 minutes ago, Andre Valera said:

Visibility here seems really reduced. Black seems like the predominate wall color now... Not sure if this change is advisable. 

I would keep your dark skybox but revert much of the level lighting, readability is important for the gameplay to be fun.

11 hours ago, FMPONE said:

Visibility here seems really reduced. Black seems like the predominate wall color now... Not sure if this change is advisable. 

I would keep your dark skybox but revert much of the level lighting, readability is important for the gameplay to be fun.

Agreed, adding some more light would really help :)

Agree with posts above, first area is very dark, rest a bit better but I don’t think ideal for playing.

One thing I always noticed is you have “backdrop” lighting (light surfaces like windows) but not “downward” lighting (lampposts) – i mean you have it, but they don’t create pools of light as I would expect.

Thanks, agree completely on the lighting. We're trying to go through with a cleaner approach now, relying more on big key lights like the light poles or shopfronts.

Lighting is definitely the primary concern right now, but I'm pretty optimistic about it. Here's a recent screenshot from some tests:

AB3F3A4D177F3F894DF9594089BEF53A5AE2B103 (1920Ã1080)

On 5/12/2018 at 1:27 AM, jakuza said:

Thanks, agree completely on the lighting. We're trying to go through with a cleaner approach now, relying more on big key lights like the light poles or shopfronts.

Lighting is definitely the primary concern right now, but I'm pretty optimistic about it. Here's a recent screenshot from some tests:

AB3F3A4D177F3F894DF9594089BEF53A5AE2B103 (1920Ã1080)

Just keep in mind that you want it to be about 2X brighter than you think, because some people play with no alpha boost in he video settings. Alpha boost washes out your lighting but you want the map to be playable for people who haven’t tweaked any settings and are playing default.

On 5/18/2018 at 10:33 PM, FMPONE said:

Just keep in mind that you want it to be about 2X brighter than you think, because some people play with no alpha boost in he video settings. Alpha boost washes out your lighting but you want the map to be playable for people who haven’t tweaked any settings and are playing default.

Ah that's a great point. Thanks for the tip