Mapcore

Mapcore's CS:GO Mapping Contest 2017

There's always going to be various people at various different stages of various different projects, so it's impossible to come up with a set of rules that caters to everyone. If people want to be secretive about their work for the sake of upcoming competitions then I guess that's their call to make and I'm sure they'll burn in the deepest pits of hell if they decide to do so, but some level of "cheating" is unavoidable in any competition. I think the rules this year are the fairest possible option as they recognize that the art pass is the lengthiest part of a map's creation, and in the last contest a lot of people felt intimidated by near-complete entries such as Gallioliolioiwior or whatever it was called.

It shouldn't need to be pointed out, but it's also worth noting that the rules don't exclude anybody from entering (aside from staffers, obviously), so anyone who wants to take part in a fun competition can still do so, they'll just need to start a new project if they don't already have one in an early enough stage of development to qualify.

11 minutes ago, FMPONE said:

This is obviously a concern.

The alternative that we pursued before was that we allowed any non-Operation maps to enter. Predictably, maps that had been around for a while were the ones that ended up winning. Now, I'm not against that necessarily, but we did get a lot of push-back. So consider this rules format an experiment to try in the other direction. The fact that some maps will be ineligible because they released publicly is a downside, but the fact that the playing field is more even is the upside.

Yeah I can recollect the arguments of the two camps from the last contest, though in the end I believe you said it best, that giving exposure to the most promising maps is what is really important. At least I think you said something to that extent, please correct me if I'm wrong. :D

If I were to bet, the winners of this contest will likely be teams of two or more who already have a layout and/or art ready to ship. Might be a dark horse out there, like @jakuza who I believe started from scratch last time? So basically more or less like last time. Not that I think that's bad, just backwards for reasons already stated. But I'll be following this with great interest, and stand ready to eat my words should I have to.

4 minutes ago, text_fish said:

It shouldn't need to be pointed out, but it's also worth noting that the rules don't exclude anybody from entering (aside from staffers, obviously), so anyone who wants to take part in a fun competition can still do so, they'll just need to start a new project if they don't already have one in an early enough stage of development to qualify.

This is a good way of phrasing it. Everybody who got cut off could literally just team up together and still win it.

1 minute ago, grapen said:

Yeah I can recollect the arguments of the two camps from the last contest, though in the end I believe you said it best, that giving exposure to the most promising maps is what is really important. At least I think you said something to that extent, please correct me if I'm wrong. :D

If I were to bet, the winners of this contest will likely be teams of two or more who already have a layout and/or art ready to ship. Might be a dark horse out there, like @jakuza who I believe started from scratch last time? So basically more or less like last time. Not that I think that's bad, just backwards for reasons already stated. But I'll be following this with great interest, and stand ready to eat my words should I have to.

jakuza had been playtesting royal (or streets as it was known then) for months before the contest hit. the layout didn't really take a good shape until later on though.

5 minutes ago, text_fish said:

There's always going to be various people at various different stages of various different projects, so it's impossible to come up with a set of rules that caters to everyone. If people want to be secretive about their work for the sake of upcoming competitions then I guess that's their call to make and I'm sure they'll burn in the deepest pits of hell if they decide to do so, but some level of "cheating" is unavoidable in any competition. I think the rules this year are the fairest possible option as they recognize that the art pass is the lengthiest part of a map's creation, and in the last contest a lot of people felt intimidated by near-complete entries such as Gallioliolioiwior or whatever it was called.

I don't necessarily agree, I don't see how anyone could "cheat" in the last contest? It was open to all projects and people (exception being previous operation contributors). Given the number of entries, I don't think people were discouraged, at least I weren't. But if people were outspoken about that then yeah, perhaps.

Anyhow, may the best map win, regardless how it was conceived.

Thank you, this is another great opportunity that not many communities can provide! 8)

I really feel for those with maps in mid-early stage, but like has been said, seems the fairest rule set that could be offered. My only comment would be that is a bit of a shame staffers that are not directly involved with the contest are excluded, I think we have staff that don't do community mapping (right now/recently) or that are more UE oriented… unless the idea is that they are professionals hence advantaged.

Anyway gl, hf to all participants :)

~

Dang it comes at the best and worst time possible for me… I'm potentially unemployed until September, but planning two months of travelling. (If not I'd still be in the same job with a promotion to live up for.)

I also just got Day Of Infamy with the main purpose of mapping for it!

But I also have a theme for a CS map that would be great fit for a map releasing in the contest timeframe 🙈

Edited by blackdog

Alright, I'm not sure if the map I've been working on (de_section) is eligible to enter. I started workng on it in summer of 2015, but it was never released to public in any form, not even greybox. However, I have done a lot of work on it in the meantime.

Here is the WIP topic of this map: 

According to this rule map should be a valid entry, but I'm still not sure:

1. Maps that were under creation prior to the announcement of this Contest can be entered, as long as a complete map version (layout and art) has not been released for public download.

Can someone clarify if this map is eligible to enter or not?

EDIT: Actually I think I won't be entering this. My map is nearly finished, really wouldn't be fair to others. Good luck everyone!

Edited by Pivac

Remakes aren't allowed to enter, but I've been working on a completely rework (new layout) of a WIP version of de_Copenhagen which had been worked on for a couple of weeks.

Is that considered a remake of an existing map, which had already been released to the workshop as a WIP version?

Here's the workshop submission (this is the newest version of the map)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=907097962&searchtext=Copenhagen

Edited by madsenfk

Is it ok for Archives ? (the map that used to be cs_opera)

No public release (or any kind of release), still a lot of work to do (a lot of the art has been thrown away).

That would make a great deadline for me to plan everything, a great challenge.

Very nice contest, i'm really impressed with the Guest experts you gathered and the prizes. And no votes from the community, yay \o/.
Looks like the best contest we ever had for now, let's just hope amazing maps will come out of it.

20 minutes ago, leplubodeslapin said:

Is it ok for Archives ? (the map that used to be cs_opera)

No public release (or any kind of release), still a lot of work to do (a lot of the art has been thrown away).

I guess it just depends on how similar it is to Opera and if Opera was ever released with art.

22 minutes ago, leplubodeslapin said:

Very nice contest, i'm really impressed with the Guest experts you gathered and the prizes. And no votes from the community, yay \o/.
Looks like the best contest we ever had for now, let's just hope amazing maps will come out of it.

8)

There are two certainties in life: death and endless discussion about CS:GO contest rules :)