Mapcore

Mapcore's CS:GO Mapping Contest 2017

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=580106862

Hi Guys. Can you confirm if the above would be valid considering we were planning fully retheming and re-arting the map (sans reusing a couple of assets) and uploading as a new entry? It's the equivalent of re-greyboxing the map and building it back up in a different style.

Thanks

Just now, Vaya said:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=580106862

Hi Guys. Can you confirm if the above would be valid considering we were planning fully retheming and re-arting the map (sans reusing a couple of assets) and uploading as a new entry? It's the equivalent of re-greyboxing the map and building it back up in a different style.

Thanks

Not eligible.

Unfortunate. Got very excited at first since the last released version is far from complete in the sense it's been worded. But I'll leave it at that, c'est la vie.

1 hour ago, grapen said:

Unfortunate. Got very excited at first since the last released version is far from complete in the sense it's been worded. But I'll leave it at that, c'est la vie.

I'm in the same boat. I thought I would be okay as the artpass on the map was 'temp' but these things happen

9 minutes ago, Vaya said:

I'm in the same boat. I thought I would be okay as the artpass on the map was 'temp' but these things happen

Yep, my biggest concern here is that the rules promote a secretive environment, where hiding your stuff from the community is beneficial to you, which in itself is very counter productive for a community. It's been hinted that we'll see another UT contest further down the road, should I just hide what I'm doing with UT, and then drop it when the time is right? I'm sure we'll see exactly that for this contest, but it's not against the rules, just somehow not unfair unlike the designers who like to show their stuff regularly, for feedback and other purposes.

But like I said, I'm not here to stir things, I love Mapcore, the users and initatives happening here. Just some food for thought.

12 minutes ago, grapen said:

Yep, my biggest concern here is that the rules promote a secretive environment, where hiding your stuff from the community is beneficial to you, which in itself is very counter productive for a community.

This is obviously a concern.

The alternative that we pursued before was that we allowed any non-Operation maps to enter. Predictably, maps that had been around for a while were the ones that ended up winning. Now, I'm not against that necessarily, but we did get a lot of push-back. So consider this rules format an experiment to try in the other direction. The fact that some maps will be ineligible because they released publicly is a downside, but the fact that the playing field is more even/fair is the upside.

With such a large prize pool, we want things to be explicitly and obviously fair, that seems like the right approach.