MapCore

Mapcore's CS:GO Mapping Contest 2017

These long term contests are really cool but I'd love to see some smaller "map-jams" for some of the smaller game modes. Or maybe even coop or custom made game modes. The prizes don't really have to be anything crazy, just an excuse to compete in something small :)

Edited by nikkoship

5 minutes ago, nikkoship said:

These long term contests are really cool but I'd love to see some smaller "map-jams" for some of the smaller game modes. Or maybe even coop or custom made game modes. The prizes don't really have to be anything crazy, just an excuse to compete in something small :)

We're definitely going to do something like this after this CS:GO contest. No doubt about it.

22 hours ago, Dillonbarba said:

I'm in!

gonna miss posting my updates though.

Dillon... if you don't make it in WW, I will seriously haunt you for eternity as a ghost. And not the Casper kind!

Edited by shawnolson

Am I allowed to use an older project, completely overhaul it gameplay-wise (so the layout would be entirely different) and submit it for this contest? It would be drastically different in every aspect. In other words, I would take it back from 0 and rebuild it in another, more updated way.

2 hours ago, JorisCeoen said:

Am I allowed to use an older project, completely overhaul it gameplay-wise (so the layout would be entirely different) and submit it for this contest? It would be drastically different in every aspect. In other words, I would take it back from 0 and rebuild it in another, more updated way.

I don't believe so as it's already had an art-pass.

If you were to do a new layout then it isnt the same map, you are just copying the theme. Which in of itself is your choice. I would encourage you to try a new theme to challenge yourself.

Edited by Guni

5 minutes ago, Guni said:

it's already had an art-pass.

I've seen over a hundred [WIP] threads on the forums of projects that already have months, even years of development time (even if they were paused) behind them. That's the reason why I ask about it. But if it's not allowed, I'll find something else :) I'll wait for a representative of the contest to reply.

EDIT: Yea, that's basically what it would be, just using the same theme, but having an entirely different layout.

It's not allowed, I just read the contest rules again, I must have missed nr.3 of the rules. My bad. Ok, I'll come up with something entirely different :D

Edited by JorisCeoen
Oops

I thought it would be cool to give additional awards without any prices. Just to highlight special work. Or for maps with something unique that is worth to mention.

Something like: "most beautiful skyline", "unique setting", "fascinating atmosphere", "best use of sound", "lovely detail", "most fun", "refreshing gameplay", "outstanding visuals", "superb use of chickens.."  ...

Someone who don't get into the top10 could be happy about such an award. I guess the finalists would also be happy to get one. (:

Would this something you could think about? Or would that cause too much work?

For the Unreal Tournament contest there were special mentions so I'd expect them to do here as well, but doing that with a representative award I think should be fun! Can also help/prompt participants to spend some more attention to a particular aspect :)

6 hours ago, inks said:

Do we have to update/post in our WIP threads, or does it only need the final submission?

No need to update the thread, final submission is fine. But WIP pics might garner helpful feedback. Up to you.