Mapcore Introductions Thread

FrieChamp

Hi!
Just came across this place after recently getting sucked back into mapmaking and modding.

Back in what must have been the early 2000's I got my hands on NovaLogics Delta Force 2 (A great game btw) but still living at home and with a dial up, spending hours online blocking the phoneline cause I was gaming wasn't really applauded. I guess I always have had a thing for taking stuff apart and trying to put them back in order, so it wasn't long before I was going through the files and found a level editor. From there on I was sold!

I ended up making a small name for myself in the DF community and ran a mapping modding forum/website/community for a while. At some point I just left it all, and got on with my life and career.

About a year ago I got the urge to play a videogame again, and I kind of fell in love with the art style of an EA title that had just gotten released called Hurtworld. The developers were active on reddit, a complete opposite of novalogic where they'd never reply to a single email and we had to reverse engineer, hexedit and build our own tools for the most part. And not being a coder, this was always really off-putting for me with DF2.

Just as playing the game started to get boring for me, they announce that they're working on a SDK modding and mapmaking "plugin" for Unity - a free to use game-engine! - I was sold again.

The learning curve for unity was definitely steeper than the old map-editor I've used, but on the other hand - the things I could do with it were mindblowing! So a year later, I've made my first few maps, starting to get the hang of 3d modelling and after this weekend I think I'll start messing with 3d coat and PBR texturing as the game is moving in that direction.

I rarely stay a lurker for long, so you'll soon see me make all sorts of suggestions of this and that and generally be a pain in the ass.

24 minutes ago, ZTIF said:

Hi!
Just came across this place after recently getting sucked back into mapmaking and modding.

Back in what must have been the early 2000's I got my hands on NovaLogics Delta Force 2 (A great game btw) but still living at home and with a dial up, spending hours online blocking the phoneline cause I was gaming wasn't really applauded. I guess I always have had a thing for taking stuff apart and trying to put them back in order, so it wasn't long before I was going through the files and found a level editor. From there on I was sold!

I ended up making a small name for myself in the DF community and ran a mapping modding forum/website/community for a while. At some point I just left it all, and got on with my life and career.

About a year ago I got the urge to play a videogame again, and I kind of fell in love with the art style of an EA title that had just gotten released called Hurtworld. The developers were active on reddit, a complete opposite of novalogic where they'd never reply to a single email and we had to reverse engineer, hexedit and build our own tools for the most part. And not being a coder, this was always really off-putting for me with DF2.

Just as playing the game started to get boring for me, they announce that they're working on a SDK modding and mapmaking "plugin" for Unity - a free to use game-engine! - I was sold again.

The learning curve for unity was definitely steeper than the old map-editor I've used, but on the other hand - the things I could do with it were mindblowing! So a year later, I've made my first few maps, starting to get the hang of 3d modelling and after this weekend I think I'll start messing with 3d coat and PBR texturing as the game is moving in that direction.

I rarely stay a lurker for long, so you'll soon see me make all sorts of suggestions of this and that and generally be a pain in the ass.

Welcome to our community!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! I'm new here, and pretty happy I found this forum as I think about level design a lot (like, a lot a lot) so it's nice to know there's an online community just for that!

I'm a Game Design student from Australia and currently using Unity, though I used to make maps in GTK Radiant (and miss it!) so I'm using a few plugins for a game I'm working on that allows me a level building pipeline akin to bsp work in GTK.

Nice to meet you all! I'm sure you'll see me around :)

Hi there,

I'm Philipp, this is my Workshop:

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197973415086/myworkshopfiles/?appid=730

I like doing remakes and deathmatch maps. My goal is to bring a visual fidelity to more casual maps that usually isn't there. My biggest project so far has been 'Lair', a map that is inspired by horror movies and night scenes in Asia.

I started mapping casually for CS:S in 2005, and took a long break until 2015 when I finished my studies. I took one year off to teach myself product design and mapping went along into the portfolio. Currently a student again. On the side I make music (which plays when you use the jukebox in Lair). My maps have urban Asian influences from living in Singapore/Bangkok most of my life and I see these imaginary environments to some extent as a reflection of self.

Happy to be here!

lairbannerpic2.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I'm Darakuu. I've found this community thanks to my good old friend @Bastion and after lurking for a while I've decided to finally make an account.

I'm an autodidact game developer from Sicily, living in the shadow of Etna. I've been decided to study game development right after playing Halo on the original Xbox after my 6-year-old mind was blown away by the 3D graphics (having only played Pokemon and Mario games up until then).

My first actual game was made on UE4, blueprints only... which of course was a terrible choice. Let's just say it never left the Alpha stage. So after failing that I've decided to try a simpler engine.

*cue the Source engine theme*

I've made a bunch of maps to learn Hammer and to hone my skills, two of which have been released on my Workshop. I am not particularly proud of these maps as they're full of rookie mistakes, and I've recently discovered that I'm not good with exterior environments, and those maps are basically just that. Furthermore, performance was a continuous worry, and that has made the maps worse in my opinion.

Right now I'm working on a full blown HL2EP2 mod, heavily inspired by Adam Foster's MINERVA, named "Xen Survivor", even though it won't feature any Xen levels. It will feature 4 levels, and right now I am working on the third.  I will make a WIP thread about it soon enough, once I figure out a way to showoff WIP stuff that doesn't look like crap :P . Unless I find an easy-peasy way to release it on Steam I'm going to release it on Moddb, which will require users to install the 2013 SDK.

Once I'm done with that I'll probably go back to UE4 and resume my learning of C++ (bought a load of books on general C++, Clean coding and game programming patterns, and also on game design.), or install Unity and start learning C# from absolute scratch. 

So that's it I guess, post's long enough. The only thing missing is the obligatory "I'm not English so my English might be off" warning, but other than that we should be good. :D

7 hours ago, Darakuu said:

Hi everyone, I'm Darakuu. I've found this community thanks to my good old friend @Bastion and after lurking for a while I've decided to finally make an account.

I'm an autodidact game developer from Sicily, living in the shadow of Etna. I've been decided to study game development right after playing Halo on the original Xbox after my 6-year-old mind was blown away by the 3D graphics (having only played Pokemon and Mario games up until then).

My first actual game was made on UE4, blueprints only... which of course was a terrible choice. Let's just say it never left the Alpha stage. So after failing that I've decided to try a simpler engine.

*cue the Source engine theme*

I've made a bunch of maps to learn Hammer and to hone my skills, two of which have been released on my Workshop. I am not particularly proud of these maps as they're full of rookie mistakes, and I've recently discovered that I'm not good with exterior environments, and those maps are basically just that. Furthermore, performance was a continuous worry, and that has made the maps worse in my opinion.

Right now I'm working on a full blown HL2EP2 mod, heavily inspired by Adam Foster's MINERVA, named "Xen Survivor", even though it won't feature any Xen levels. It will feature 4 levels, and right now I am working on the third.  I will make a WIP thread about it soon enough, once I figure out a way to showoff WIP stuff that doesn't look like crap :P . Unless I find an easy-peasy way to release it on Steam I'm going to release it on Moddb, which will require users to install the 2013 SDK.

Once I'm done with that I'll probably go back to UE4 and resume my learning of C++ (bought a load of books on general C++, Clean coding and game programming patterns, and also on game design.), or install Unity and start learning C# from absolute scratch. 

So that's it I guess, post's long enough. The only thing missing is the obligatory "I'm not English so my English might be off" warning, but other than that we should be good. :D

Welcome!

• 2 weeks later...
  • FMPONE pinned this topic