Sprony

Battlefront 2

Pretty buggy release it seems. EA content to rush this out the door ontop of everything else.

11 hours ago, Dark said:

LOL, Loot boxes are crap and keep the good fight against them, but Blizzard shouldn't talk, they helped fuel this whole thing in Overwatch.  Sure it's not as bad, but they are both still being investigated for online gambling. Even if its cosmetics only, they are designed to exploit you.

Edit: I just want to make fun games, so sick of this fucking shit!  

Yeah agreed on Blizzard/Activision - pretty pot kettle stuff there. The loot box stuff in Overwatch isn't great and It's why I never bought it. It's the same old story though, developers dicking over good talented teams with dumb ideas.

Edited by dux

Wow, Micro-transactions have been turned off!

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/battlefront/battlefront-2/news/pre-launch-update

Edit: https://twitter.com/EAStarWars/status/931332890717143040

Edit: It's temporary, but hopefully some sort of middle ground comes out when it goes back online.   What do you guys think?  

3 hours ago, dux said:

Pretty buggy release it seems. EA content to rush this out the door ontop of everything else.

Yeah agreed on Blizzard/Activision - pretty pot kettle stuff there. The loot box stuff in Overwatch isn't great and It's why I never bought it. It's the same old story though, developers dicking over good talented teams with dumb ideas.

Maybe try out the game, it runs flawless so far!  That guy is just be picky for the sake of it, also looks like he's playing a pirated copy, no wonder..  No disrespect but listening to him is like cancer. 

Edited by Dark

I thought people were more pissed off with the fact that gameplay changing items are found in lootboxes? Ie, extra damage etc. Maybe I'm wrong. Is it just visual stuff in lootboxes? I don't mind that so much.

I'm really interested in this game but I'm going to wait for the dust to settle on all this before I think about buying. My mates are going to do the same I think.

4 hours ago, PogoP said:

I thought people were more pissed off with the fact that gameplay changing items are found in lootboxes? Ie, extra damage etc. Maybe I'm wrong. Is it just visual stuff in lootboxes? I don't mind that so much.

I'm really interested in this game but I'm going to wait for the dust to settle on all this before I think about buying. My mates are going to do the same I think.

People were upset that players could buy loot boxes with crystals (real-money game currency) to gain an unfair advantage in multiplayer, thus the whole "pay to win" fiasco, the loot boxes themselves contained ability cards. Additionally, players could sell any duplicate or unwanted items gained from the boxes for credits, then use the credits to unlock high-level heroes that would take the average player 40-60 hours to legitimately earn. They also reduced the amount of credits earned from completing the campaign by 75%, making the grind for a desired hero even more tedious (and that was after the first round of complaints from the community), haha. It was quite the ordeal.

I think DICE just missed the mark with their design. Tried to see how far they could push loot box systems and found the line (don't base your progression systems around RNG). I doubt the micro transactions will be gone forever, they're just too good of a source for sustainable income. But they're gone for now so they can properly fix the broken system, possibly throw some free dlc at everyone, then sneak them back in. 

On a more positive note, at least EA seems to be taking their "player first" stance seriously and showing that they're listening and willing to make the necessary changes. Sucks that it had to get so messy first. 

6 hours ago, dux said:

No offense mate, but I think throwing loot boxes that contain skins (Overwatch) and loot boxes that contain characters, abilities among other things (SW:BF2) into the same pot is an extremist view and not really constructive. There are big differences between the systems and the differences in the public's reaction to them is proving that.

EDIT: Just saw this thread by another designer that explains in more detail what I am alluding to: 

A loot box is a loot box to me. Publishers seewhat Overwatch did and thought "Hmm, how far can we take this?" As Dark said, they are designed to exploit you. I'm not calling Overwatch a bad game for it, nor am I calling SWBF2 a bad game either. All I'm attacking is publishers and loot boxes.

13 minutes ago, dux said:

A loot box is a loot box to me. Publishers seewhat Overwatch did and thought "Hmm, how far can we take this?" As Dark said, they are designed to exploit you. I'm not calling Overwatch a bad game for it, nor am I calling SWBF2 a bad game either. All I'm attacking is publishers and loot boxes.

Wasn't Valve in it before Blizzard?

Don't worry guys, The Empire will strike back!

But, honestly, despite the bad publicity, I think this will play in EA's favor. Every media outlet and gaming youtuber has promoted Battlefront 2. And most of them have said that it's a good game buried underneath microtransactions. Now that microtransactions are temporarily turned off what do you have? Of course, once sales estimates are back on track..

46 minutes ago, Radu said:

Don't worry guys, The Empire will strike back!

But, honestly, despite the bad publicity, I think this will play in EA's favor. Every media outlet and gaming youtuber has promoted Battlefront 2. And most of them have said that it's a good game buried underneath microtransactions. Now that microtransactions are temporarily turned off what do you have? Of course, once sales estimates are back on track..

That's why some Danish police dept is making fun of them by somewhat comparing it to as scam

All they needed to do was make crates cosmetics only and everyone would have loved it. I'm sure EA have the creative license to make new helmets for the storm troopers, new heads or bodies for the droids and all the different camo patterns you can think of. They're big enough to push for that creative freedom from Disney.

Imagine you could customise your storm trooper armour with different boots, breastplates, capes, visors, insignia and everything in between. People would be buying crates like hot cakes. 

It was a bad idea putting stat-changing items in a loot box.

4 hours ago, Beck said:

All they needed to do was make crates cosmetics only and everyone would have loved it. I'm sure EA have the creative license to make new helmets for the storm troopers, new heads or bodies for the droids and all the different camo patterns you can think of. They're big enough to push for that creative freedom from Disney.

Imagine you could customise your storm trooper armour with different boots, breastplates, capes, visors, insignia and everything in between. People would be buying crates like hot cakes. 

It was a bad idea putting stat-changing items in a loot box.

Maybe they did hit a creative wall with Disney in that regard. You know how slow it is to get stuff back and fourth with big organizations and especially have them approved. Then again, you're right about EA being big enough to push for that option.

I might be wrong here, but I think they're trying to go for something similar to Paladins. The game allows players to enhance or modify a character's abilities through a card system. These cards can be purchased by using a special currency that is only obtainable from duplicates and completing quests/challenges. So, you can't really straight up buy these cards, but you can purchase loot boxes which drop cards and transform duplicates into the required currency. Mind you, the game has 4 currency types: crystals, essence(used for cards), gold and vip points. I haven't worked out why there are so many of them, but I'm sure there's a catch. Though, an important thing to mention is that the game is F2P and progression seems quite fast. You even get basic loot boxes as reward after a few matches. There are currently 34 characters and you can unlock all of them in roughly 150 hours, as well as a great portion of the cards.

I've been following the whole lootcrate fiasco a bit this week and was thinking about it a lot. I wonder where this corporate greed will lead our industry. For the time being this seems to be here to stay, maybe slowed down a bit, while publishers will continue to think of more schemes secretly.

I think what must and will happen eventualy, could be a couple years from now, is is that the industry will have to agree on a code for ethical buisness practices. Otherwise it's only a question of time that some governments or maybe the EU will want to hop in and regulate. This can work. We've seen it in the past with the ESRB, USK etc. organizations for self regulation. Right now it's the wild west out there.