Sprony

Battlefront 2

11 hours ago, Beck said:

I'm sure all of you have seen the shitstorm that's exploded all over the internet with SW:BF2's progression/microtransactions.

I'm not 100% sure of the tiny details on it all but some of it sounds like genuine concerns (~40 hours to unlock a single character for example) but the community has turned nasty and started threatening the devs.

It's really sad to see.

It's been changed. https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/battlefront/battlefront-2/news/swbfii-changes-launch  

Edited by Dark

They seriously changed the rate you get credits at the same time? I guess it still won't take as long but to most it will seem the issue is resolved and they'll forget about it and give EA their money anyway.

In any case all of this shouting and bitching will probably affect nothing. Everyone will still buy the game and EA will see some nice profits from it and the process will continue with the shareholders/suits demanding more ways to get players money in future titles. The vast majority of players do not care about this stuff.

Dark: Congrats on a beautiful game. I'm really in awe of the artistic and technical achievement from you guys! Its too bad that there's so much controversy surrounding the game, but it arrives at a time i believe is a watershed moment for tripple A gaming. Secondary monetization seems to be on the agenda for all the major publishers right now, and its sad to see it taint your great work.

Beck: This is not something "the vast majority of players" can just ignore. Just because you dont intend to spend money on vanity items or to climb grind walls it still begins to seep into how the games are designed: Not as best case experiences to enrich players but rather to test your patience and attempt to milk you dry. Mobile f2p games has made this possible to now exist in full priced games as peoples tolerance towards this has been lowered. But this should not be an excuse for developers to emulate this practice. The end result will be worse games all around and its honestly hard to be optimistic about the industry at this point, given the recent events and actions from Take2, EA and Activision.

1 hour ago, Lizard said:

They also lowered the amount of credits you get for playing. So whole thing balances out...

Just to clarify the misleading information, they only lowered the amount you receive from the end of the campaign to 5,000 from 20,000 because IDen costs 5,000.  Should just be free for finishing it in my opinion, but all other amounts remain as it was.

1 hour ago, dux said:

Apparently they changed the rate at which you get "credits too" so nothing has actually changed. EA are cunts, some old story.

Nope they didn't.  

26 minutes ago, spa said:

Dark: Congrats on a beautiful game. I'm really in awe of the artistic and technical achievement from you guys! Its too bad that there's so much controversy surrounding the game, but it arrives at a time i believe is a watershed moment for tripple A gaming. Secondary monetization seems to be on the agenda for all the major publishers right now, and its sad to see it taint your great work.

Beck: This is not something "the vast majority of players" can just ignore. Just because you dont intend to spend money on vanity items or to climb grind walls it still begins to seep into how the games are designed: Not as best case experiences to enrich players but rather to test your patience and attempt to milk you dry. Mobile f2p games has made this possible to now exist in full priced games as peoples tolerance towards this has been lowered. But this should not be an excuse for developers to emulate this practice. The end result will be worse games all around and its honestly hard to be optimistic about the industry at this point, given the recent events and actions from Take2, EA and Activision.

Thanks and I agree. It's sad, and its the industry changing again in general, I don't like it either.  

13 minutes ago, spa said:

Beck: This is not something "the vast majority of players" can just ignore. 

I dunno. People have been angry about microtransactions and some DLC since the beginning. Back when horse armour was released in TES: Oblivion everyone was up in arms saying it's overpriced or should have been in the game from the start or patched in. Everyone just said, don't buy it and it'll stop. Now Bethesda is charging for mods. 

There's been huge campaigns run to stop people from pre-ordering games and time after time people get burnt and are disappointed with their pre-orders. Mass Effect: Andromeda is probably the latest let down and I bet that had pre-orders through the roof. 

I know this stuff with SW: BF2 and what's happened in other games like GTA: Online isn't great for players. But since TakeTwo is reporting that microtransactions make up half of their revenue I don't think players care and there's enough people paying for this stuff to make it worthwhile for publishers. https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/309177/Microtransactions_now_account_for_nearly_half_of_TakeTwos_revenue.php

4 hours ago, blackdog said:

blizzard makes fun of EA as they make SC2 free

4612788C-C1FA-413E-A4B0-6715A452A64E.jpeg.b5650c8102a817438ce579ce54799478.jpeg

LOL, Loot boxes are crap and keep the good fight against them, but Blizzard shouldn't talk, they helped fuel this whole thing in Overwatch.  Sure it's not as bad, but they are both still being investigated for online gambling. Even if its cosmetics only, they are designed to exploit you.

Edit: I just want to make fun games, so sick of this fucking shit!  

Edited by Dark

Yeah @Dark, is like when Samsung or Google make fun of Apple… when they’ve done or will do same thing themselves. Unfortunately people have short memory! Even worse when you talk to 14yrs old

Edited by blackdog